Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default 2020 Legislative Season

A general catch all thread for developments relating to new legislation proposed in Oklahoma for the 2020 season. I’ll start it off with a petition filed and one I hope passes. A proposal to change the constitution relating to redistricting and placing that authority into an independent party:

“ A new group called People Not Politicians is spearheading a ballot initiative to create an independent commission for redistricting legislative and congressional seats in Oklahoma. Filed this afternoon with Oklahoma Secretary of State Michael Rogers’ office, the proposed redistricting ballot initiative would change the Oklahoma Constitution and will need about 178,000 signatures to make a 2020 ballot.”

- https://nondoc.com/2019/10/28/redist...HEZkk9l_6EgucU

Default Re: 2020 Legislative Season

there really is no such thing as a "independent party" in redistricting ..

Probably not but it seems to be a better system than what we have now, no?

It worked well in Canada but has mixed results in American so far. Since usually members of political parties picked the people on the commission. https://www.vox.com/2014/4/15/560428...ow-to-fix-them

Blog Entries

I hope they're organized and funded well enough to get the required number of signatures. If people want it easier to bring about political change, they need to do a petition that would allow as much as a year to get enough signatures. As it is now, 90 days is too short. Some may think doing that is not necessary, because the petition to bring more Medicaid to the state got a huge, record breaking number of signatures. I never heard how they accomplished that enormous feat.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    there really is no such thing as a "independent party" in redistricting ..
    Independent commission is not a synonym for Independent Party.
    An independent commission could be made up of individuals who are not registered with a political parry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    An independent commission could be made up of individuals who are not registered with a political parry.
    I believe "independent commission" just means "not done by the legislative branch". Independent redistricting commissions are usually bi-partisan or have members of all political parties, don't think any of them are composed exclusively of people that aren't registered with a political party.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Correct. That is an error on my part. I was confused the meaning of commission here but you are right.

Hopefully this be on ballots during 2020 but it could be 2021.

https://kfor.com/2019/11/22/organize...sion-question/

Blog Entries

Don't see why it should possibly be 2021. It will be interesting to see when Gov. Stitt, who is against, puts it.

It's too expensive? With the Feds paying 90% of it we can't afford to keep turning it down.

A bill to raise minimum wage to 10.50 has been filed. I hope it passes. This seems like a decent minimum wage for Oklahoma though I think it should be 12/hr. This is a good first step.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/poli...88aeca32b.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Don't see why it should possibly be 2021. It will be interesting to see when Gov. Stitt, who is against, puts it.

It's too expensive? With the Feds paying 90% of it we can't afford to keep turning it down.
    I think it will be on the ballots this year.

College Athlete Pay:

An Oklahoma legislator wants college athletes to be able to clinch endorsement deals and profit off their name, image and likeness.

Rep. Mickey Dollens, D-Oklahoma City, prefiled legislation last week to allow college athletes to cash in despite long-standing NCAA rules prohibiting players from profiting from their athletic efforts
    - https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/stat...a9f765dd7.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    A bill to raise minimum wage to 10.50 has been filed. I hope it passes. This seems like a decent minimum wage for Oklahoma though I think it should be 12/hr. This is a good first step.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/poli...88aeca32b.html
    LOL, Republican legislators will never support it, unless by some chance voters give them the idea that a bunch of incumbents got voted out for not doing so. Otherwise, the only hope for the minimum wage to go up in Oklahoma is to go through the petitioning process to have people vote yes for it. There is still time left to do it for a vote in 2020, but I know of no plans for it.

^^^^ I hope you are wrong but I believe you are right. Still I think 10.50 per hour is extremely reasonable. I fail to see how anyone would be against that.

There should not be a minimum wage as it discriminates against the low skilled worker. A job that pays a minimum is not meant for a life time. It is a job to learn skills and then advance to higher paying jobs.

Labor is not exempt from supply and demand. If ones takes some time to learn what happened to the restaurant industry and workers in the Seattle and NYC when the minimum wage went to $15, one will find closures, layoffs, and cutting of hours. Labor is a cost to a company just like any cost. When those costs artificially rise, there are consequences. Economic principles like supply and demand does not have feelings and doesn’t care if an artificial increase in pay causes one to lose his or her job. Just because it feels good to do it doesn’t mean we should enact it and not care about the consequences. Intent is not to reality.

Also, how can the government make a decision on where to set the minimum wage. The bill is for $10.50. Well how about $20 or $30 or $40. Settling artificial prices (costs) into an economy has negative consequences. The economy will take care of what an employee should be paid for their requisite skills.

How do minimum wages discriminate against low skilled workers?

You think minimum wages should be removed? You are so sure that if that happened major companies wouldn’t reduce their wages? If they did you think they would bring food prices down?

Your example of NYC and Seattle are in areas of the country where the tipping is being reached, especially in NYC. When rents are so high one little thing could throw everything else off, that is not a valid comparison to be used to in a state like Oklahoma.

Simply relying on the economy to take care of workers that are qualified is the same argument of doing away with environmental regulations because corporations don’t want to poison the environment it’s workers live in. There needs to be security. There doesn’t need to be people telling others “hey I think this job should be temporary.” If someone wants to work as a fast food cook or cashier at Walmart for their entire life why do you care?

There are all kinds of benefits in raising the minimum wage.

https://www.epi.org/pay/

https://edlabor.house.gov/imo/media/...nomy-FINAL.pdf

Minimum wage service jobs *used* to be temporary, 2008-9 changed all that and now it's all some people can do in order to live.

"Well how about $20 or $30 or $40." - Um, people/economists/legislators don't just pull these numbers out of their a**, there's research behind it and it certainly doesn't support those numbers you throw out, you're just trolling at that point. Also, as far as closures, layoffs and cutting of hours, that's not the whole story, there were benefits too (as PP pointed out above), and conflicting studies, paste this into google and read the articles, at least two or three to get a full picture - what happened in seattle when minimum wage was raised to $15?

Blog Entries

What not compare much closer to home? What is going on in Arkansas now that minimum wage has been raised to $10, which was instituted by the voters not government? Are low pay Ft. Smith, AR employers packing up and moving to nearby Poteau, so they can pay only $7.25 an hour, assuming the local labor market prices low skilled labor that low?

I think the big thing is that raising the minimum wage is a mixed bag. Anyone who sells it as all rainbows and sunshine is pushing something. There are consequences. The trick is getting the right balance of cost/benefit. The impact of minimum wage increases can sometimes be hard to quantify. This isn't to say I oppose minimum wages, or even oppose raising them. But we should be aware that they're not some magic solution. and the consequences of an increase will be felt more or less in some areas than others (if the area already has extremely low unemployment and a strong economy, for example).

^^^ +1

^^^ +2

Question Re: 2020 Legislative Season

Medicaid expansion makes ballot

Oklahoma voters will get to decide sometime this year whether the state should expand Medicaid.

An initiative petition asking voters to expand Medicaid has cleared all hurdles to qualify for the ballot.

Secretary of State Michael Rogers informed Gov. Kevin Stitt and the state Election Board on Thursday that the initiative petition met the requirements to appear on a statewide ballot as State Question 802...

Oklahoman article: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ I hope you are wrong but I believe you are right. Still I think 10.50 per hour is extremely reasonable. I fail to see how anyone would be against that.
    Talk to independent business owners and franchise owners. Don't you think this just puts more of an advantage with chains and larger companies?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Medicaid expansion makes ballot

Oklahoma voters will get to decide sometime this year whether the state should expand Medicaid.

An initiative petition asking voters to expand Medicaid has cleared all hurdles to qualify for the ballot.

Secretary of State Michael Rogers informed Gov. Kevin Stitt and the state Election Board on Thursday that the initiative petition met the requirements to appear on a statewide ballot as State Question 802...

Oklahoman article: http://digital.newsok.com/Olive/ODN/...n/default.aspx
    I find it interesting how many issues now have to go to a "vote of the people". I thought that was the whole purpose of elected officials, to cast votes on contentious items or find bipartisan solutions. If I have to vote on policy issues as an average Joe citizen, what is the job of the Oklahoma politician?

Thread Information