Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    I saw that they're tearing down at least part of the Biltmore Hotel on Meridian. Anyone know what's planned?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I saw that they're tearing down at least part of the Biltmore Hotel on Meridian. Anyone know what's planned?
    Place is a dump with shaddy people hanging around JS.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    The only permit is for plumbing. No idea what they are up to.

    As a side note, my first job was at this hotel as a 15 year-old when it was the Crosswinds Inn. I was a maintenance man; cut the grass, did some painting, various repair jobs. Still have a paycheck stub: $2.25 per hour in 1976. And I can tell you that lots of creepy things happen at an airport motel.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Itís been a dump for a long time. I worked for a company that contracted with a national commercial satellite TV service and the Biltmore was one of their clients. The place was scary, the owner was drunk most of time any time of day. He gave our guys hell about needing in wherever they needed in to work on the system. And we were there to help him! This was 20 years ago. I drive by there every day and it doesnít look any different than it did then. Except maybe more run down.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Back in the 70's and early 80's, it was one of the better motels in that area.

    But of course, that was a long time ago.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    I have been told they're tearing down the south building (or parts of it) and building something new there. This is second hand from someone I know in management there so take it for what it's worth.

    I do know they have switched hands a couple of times in recent history. They've made some weird changes such as closing down the restaurant and putting in a shady off track betting parlour, and downsizing their country bar. They redid most of the rooms in the far west building yet closed down the Chisholm Club there and moved it to the smaller space in the front.

  7. Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    When I was in high school ('86-'89) that was the goto hotel for Christmas Dance and Prom night rooms when large groups of teens wanted a place to stay all night. It wasn't really bad then - as in you didn't see crack heads living there - but was bad enough they looked the other way to hoards of teens having after dance parties.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Please correct me if this is an error; IIRC, the Biltmore on the Meridian hotel corridor has 500 rooms currently making it largest hotel by room count in the city.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    This used to be a Hilton if Iím correct. Very significant property with ample meeting space and a popular club and restaurant. Big player during the 80ís oil boom.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo1 View Post
    This used to be a Hilton if Iím correct. Very significant property with ample meeting space and a popular club and restaurant. Big player during the 80ís oil boom.
    I believe the Hilton was south of I-40.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe the Hilton was south of I-40.
    Yes, wasn't it the Hilton Inn West, prior to becoming the Biltmore. The Sports Page club was a pretty happening spot back in the old days.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Yes, wasn't it the Hilton Inn West, prior to becoming the Biltmore. The Sports Page club was a pretty happening spot back in the old days.
    You are right and I was the confused one.

    I've been talking about what is now the Red Roof Inn which is just north. That was formerly the Crosswinds Inn where I worked, not the Hilton/Radisson/Biltmore.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    You guys should read the write up over on the visitOKC webpage... I sure hope tourists don't take their recommendation all too often.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    We stayed there for some sort of convention when I was a kid and it was still a nicer (at least in my kid-memory) Hilton. One night when we came back to the hotel, there were a bunch of emergency vehicles near the lobby. A guy had walked through the plate glass beside the front door, apparently mistaking it for an open passageway. After that they placed decals at strategic points near eye level to deter it from happening again.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I have been told they're tearing down the south building (or parts of it) and building something new there. This is second hand from someone I know in management there so take it for what it's worth.

    I do know they have switched hands a couple of times in recent history. They've made some weird changes such as closing down the restaurant and putting in a shady off track betting parlour, and downsizing their country bar. They redid most of the rooms in the far west building yet closed down the Chisholm Club there and moved it to the smaller space in the front.
    Jerry, sounds like you're a regular. I won't ask what you're doing over there, lol. I think that south building caught on fire few years ago. Didn't the Sportspage always have off track betting?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    I've always wondered this, does the current Biltmore hotel have any connection to the Hotel Biltmore that was downtown from the 1930s-1970s? or did the owner just want a high-end name to try to associate it with the Biltmore house in Asheville and the Vanderbilt family?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    When my Sr. prom was there back in BC (before (most) computers) late `70s, it was a Hilton.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Biltmore Hotel on Meridian

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Jerry, sounds like you're a regular. I won't ask what you're doing over there, lol. I think that south building caught on fire few years ago. Didn't the Sportspage always have off track betting?
    Heh, I used to run special events around the city, so I became quite familiar with the various venues that have usable meeting space (and I've used most of them at one time or another). Most everything I know is post 2000 though. The Sportspage has been there, but it was in a different location, and they replaced their Brandywine Room with a run down (imo) version of it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Meridian Lanes on Sw 29th and Meridian
    By Mustang Man in forum Development & Buildings
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM
  2. NYE at the Biltmore Hotel
    By Stan Silliman in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 10:23 AM
  3. Biltmore Hotel (Hotel Oklahoma)*
    By Pete in forum Development & Buildings
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM
  4. Biltmore Hotel Demolition
    By skyrick in forum Nostalgia & Memories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO