Widgets Magazine

Thread: Public Transit Vote Today

Default Public Transit Vote Today

Norman is holding a vote today on a one-eighth percent sales tax to fund public transit. This measure is to help offset the costs when Norman took over the bus system from CART. Go vote!

Default Re: Public Transit Vote Today

Why did Norman take over CART’s bus system? That seems like a step backwards.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why did Norman take over CART’s bus system? That seems like a step backwards.
    OU wanted out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    OU wanted out of it.
    They wanted out of transit? You’d think a major university would be promoting that. Anyhow the proposal passed: https://kfor.com/2019/11/12/develope...n-golf-course/

I’m happy to see Norman have a dedicated source of revenue for transit. Is this a first in Oklahoma? I am disappointed however it will be to substitute CART unless I’m mistaken. So CART will be dissolved?

Cart has already dissolved, the City of Norman now operates the transit system (contracted out to EMBARK, OKC Transit operator)

They wanted out of transit? You’d think a major university would be promoting that. Anyhow the proposal passed: https://kfor.com/2019/11/12/develope...n-golf-course/

I’m happy to see Norman have a dedicated source of revenue for transit. Is this a first in Oklahoma? I am disappointed however it will be to substitute CART unless I’m mistaken. So CART will be dissolved?
    It was more Ou didn't want to provide transit for all of Norman as the city didn't provide anything to help and Ou was losing massive amount of money. I'd be curious if there are other major Universities that provide transit to full cities?

I wasn’t aware OU was funding the entire cost of mass transit in Norman. If that is the case than I understand why they would be pissed. But the other thing is the articles implied this sales tax will fund service cut from CART, so I’m curious how the funding was set up.

HangryHippo Guest

They wanted out of transit? You’d think a major university would be promoting that. Anyhow the proposal passed: https://kfor.com/2019/11/12/develope...n-golf-course/I’m happy to see Norman have a dedicated source of revenue for transit. Is this a first in Oklahoma? I am disappointed however it will be to substitute CART unless I’m mistaken. So CART will be dissolved?
    hfry expounded on it, but OU wanted out of running Norman's bus service. I think they're keeping control of the campus routes and LNC shuttles, but the rest of CART was transferred to the city who contracted EMBARK to run the operation.

Thread Information