Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Driving on Lake Hefner Parkway it is striped with both black and white stripes.

    Looking in front of you, the white is NOT very visible at all. However, looking in the rearview mirror, the white is bright and VERY visible. (I don't remember if it is like this on other highways or just LHP)

    It appears that the stripes (stickers?) were put on backwards, but I am sure that is not the case.

    Anyone else notice this or know why it is done this way?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    Driving on Lake Hefner Parkway it is striped with both black and white stripes.

    Looking in front of you, the white is NOT very visible at all. However, looking in the rearview mirror, the white is bright and VERY visible. (I don't remember if it is like this on other highways or just LHP)

    It appears that the stripes (stickers?) were put on backwards, but I am sure that is not the case.

    Anyone else notice this or know why it is done this way?
    Is it like the reflectors / lights that are yellow but blink red if you are going the wrong way?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Bigger problem is the stripes just disappear when it rains.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Bigger problem is the stripes just disappear when it rains.
    This. Been times in the past when driving in a monsoon with my kids in the car. Was nervous af since didn’t seem like anybody could see the lanes whatsoever.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Bigger problem is the stripes just disappear when it rains.
    It's horrible, especially in the dark, in rush hour traffic.

  6. Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    This has been a problem for *years* on this road (as well as on dozens of lane-miles on dozens of other roads here in the metro). Probably nothing at all that can be done, similar to all the other huge failings of OKDOT and OKCDOT.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    I think the stripes are a type of pavement tape.

    They are directional because looking behind you (rearview), the white lines are very bright. If you haven't noticed, then next time you are on LHP, look at what I am talking about.

    Surely, they didn't put them on backwards ….right?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,262
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    I think the stripes are a type of pavement tape.

    They are directional because looking behind you (rearview), the white lines are very bright. If you haven't noticed, then next time you are on LHP, look at what I am talking about.

    Surely, they didn't put them on backwards ….right?
    If they are the tape type they probably have embedded reflective beads, which would be omnidirectional. Painted stripes are less money, but I don't believe they are embedded with any special reflective material.

  9. Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    If they are the tape type they probably have embedded reflective beads, which would be omnidirectional. Painted stripes are less money, but I don't believe they are embedded with any special reflective material.
    I just did a manslaughter trial where the painted lines were an issue in the case so I learned a little on this. The paint also has reflective beads in it that wear out sooner than the paint does according to my expert.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    The broadway ext. just had its lines repainted with the in grove method. Not sure if this would help LHP or not.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    Driving on Lake Hefner Parkway it is striped with both black and white stripes.

    Looking in front of you, the white is NOT very visible at all. However, looking in the rearview mirror, the white is bright and VERY visible. (I don't remember if it is like this on other highways or just LHP)

    It appears that the stripes (stickers?) were put on backwards, but I am sure that is not the case.

    Anyone else notice this or know why it is done this way?
    Looks like they are starting a restriping project this week.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    I think the stripes are a type of pavement tape.

    They are directional because looking behind you (rearview), the white lines are very bright. If you haven't noticed, then next time you are on LHP, look at what I am talking about.

    Surely, they didn't put them on backwards ….right?
    I would not be surprised even if it were tape and installed properly, that a larger percent of light would get reflected back up still going forward than gets reflected nearly 180 degrees backward.

  13. Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    I would guess that the angle of sun is what makes the stripes appear to be brighter in one direction than the other. (I'm guessing this isn't referring to night driving, since nowhere, even in Oklahoma, have I ever seen stripes that are brighter by tail lights than by headlights.) Since LHP is a north-south road you're probably more aware of it due to seasonal differences in the location of the sun, especially if you notice it most going north in the evening around this time of year.

    Try going east on I-40 at about the same time of day and you'll probably notice the stripes being super bright.

    As everyone else mentioned, the stripes are simply paint with reflectorized beads. While reflective thermoplastic tape is an option available to road agencies, ODOT rarely uses it. City of Norman has used it in a few locations, though (Lindsey west of Ed Noble Parkway is one). You can recognize it by looking at it closely when stopped; it has a ridged hexagonal pattern to it that looks sort of like the sole of a shoe. If it doesn't have that, it's just paint.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    ^ There is a thermoplastic powder that is widely used that is put in cookers on the paint rigs and applied to the road surface and is followed up immediately with glass beads applied while the paint is still hot and liquified. This type of striping will produce a raised line surface that can be felt when you drive over them.

  15. Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility

    Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    ^ There is a thermoplastic powder that is widely used that is put in cookers on the paint rigs and applied to the road surface and is followed up immediately with glass beads applied while the paint is still hot and liquified. This type of striping will produce a raised line surface that can be felt when you drive over them.
    I'm pretty sure ODOT uses the thermoplastic hot liquid process for asphalt highways, but I don't think they use it on concrete highways. Whatever they are using on concrete, frankly, sucks even in lower traffic areas. ODOT recently restriped the offramp and approach to SW 59th St from I-35 S within the last several months, and whatever they put down is already starting to chip and flake away.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Lake Hefner Parkway white stripes visibility


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lake Hefner area before Lake Hefner
    By traxx in forum Nostalgia & Memories
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-17-2015, 07:54 PM
  2. Hefner Parkway Extension
    By Plutonic Panda in forum Transportation
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 07:59 PM
  3. Lake Hefner Parkway Road Work?
    By Scotty22 in forum Transportation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 11:18 AM
  4. I-44 North of I-40 to Hefner Parkway: What are they doing?
    By Cid in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM
  5. Tree Planting Project along Lake Hefner Parkway... Who's In?
    By okcpulse in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 01:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO