Widgets Magazine

Thread: Jim Kyle has passed

Default Jim Kyle has passed

Long-time poster Jim Kyle has passed away.

I've met Jim in person and he was an incredibly nice man. Doesn't mention it in the obit below but he was a reporter and photographer for the Oklahoman and Times for a number of years.

James (Jim) William Kyle Jr. was born on March 17, 1931 in Stillwater, Oklahoma to James and Verna Kyle and passed on Monday, October 28, 2019 at his home in Oklahoma City.

He was a graduate of Classen High School in 1948 and went on to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism from the University of Oklahoma.

During the Korean War he served as a 1st Lieutenant in the Army and received several medals including the Bronze Service Star, United Nations Service Medal and the National Defense Services Medal.

He was a prolific technical author and programmer writing dozens of articles for various electronic and computer magazines. He also authored or co-authored upwards to a dozen or more books, some of which were translated into other languages.

In his later years Jim began to dabble in fiction and published an online novel and short stories. He also served as the editor for his alumni newsletter, The New Classen Life.

Jim enjoyed jazz music, computers and cats - the latter two of which are prominent in his home office.

He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Joanne, three sons and their spouses, John and Kathy, Bob and Leslie and Tony and Becky, five grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

We remember him as our homework helper, auto repair advisor, technical support, husband, provider and Dad.

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, November 2 at the Mercer-Adams Funeral Home in Bethany. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be directed to the City Rescue Mission in Oklahoma City, www.cityrescue.org/donate.

Default Re: Jim Kyle has passed

I never met him in person or directly interacted with him here. Nevertheless, I always enjoyed reading his perspectives and insights on this forum. His presence will be missed.

i only knew him from here, but always enjoyed reading his posts, especially those about mid-century okc. seemed like a really good guy.

So sorry to learn of his passing. I agree about his posts of mid-century life. It seems odd his longtime career at the Oklahoman and Times was not mentioned.

Sorry to learn of his passing. While I never met him in person he seemed to be a kind-hearted person. I greatly enjoy reading from those who seem to be reasonable and not overly aggressive. This describes Jim.

6. Default Re: Jim Kyle has passed

I hope Jim rests in peace. Thoughts with his family and enjoyed reading about his life. He was always a great poster here with wonderful insight.

Jim brought a lot of knowledge and insight to OKCTalk. He had a wealth of life experience, and we're fortunate to have been able to read his recollections of it for a number of years. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

8. Default Re: Jim Kyle has passed

I always appreciated his contributions here. He was a great resource for this site and will be missed.

He was from the old school of journalism. He posted from experience, not something he read on the internet. Never one to trash another poster. He will be missed. RIP Jim.

10. Default Re: Jim Kyle has passed

Like others the only place I really knew him from was on here but I really enjoyed and respected the input he had on here. Prayers for his family and friends.

I remember meeting him at the OKCTalk get together at Dunlop Codding. He was very sharp with his knowledge and history on OKC. I remember that he was pulling around an oxygen bottle that he had in use. Big loss for the board.

HangryHippo Guest

Our loss.

So sad to hear of Jim’s passing. I couldn’t help but appreciate all he offered here. Big loss.

Oh, the obituary in the paper mentions his time with the Daily Oklahoman and Times. He had been to Korea in the war, won a bronze star, and a couple of other national security medals. Seems Jim was not only a computer whiz, but wrote manuals for the Atlas Missile Program!

Great life - great guy.

14. Default Re: Jim Kyle has passed

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I remember meeting him at the OKCTalk get together at Dunlop Codding. He was very sharp with his knowledge and history on OKC. I remember that he was pulling around an oxygen bottle that he had in use. Big loss for the board.
    Yes, same for me, meeting Jim there. I'll miss his extensive knowledge of the OKC I never knew.

This was Friday and over the weekend. I thought it deserved a bump.

Blog Entries

^Glad you did or I would have missed it. Sorry to hear about Jim's passing.

Thread Information