Widgets Magazine

Thread: Any Good Halloween Themed Homes/Neighborhoods Around OKC?

1. Default Any Good Halloween Themed Homes/Neighborhoods Around OKC?

I know lots of people that go looking at Christmas lights in neighborhoods in December, but we like to look at what people do for Halloween.

I know some people go all out, but statistically it's a very small number of homes - which makes finding them and checking them out difficult.

I was wondering if anyone here know's of addresses or neighborhoods where the residence go all out for Halloween with lights, zombie themed yard decor, etc.?

I'd like to take an evening to go look, but I only know of a couple of addresses (which I'll share with some photos in a bit).

Anyone else?

Default Re: Any Good Halloween Themed Homes/Neighborhoods Around OKC?

Crown Heights, hands down.

Amazing displays and they get thousands of Trick or Treaters.

Heritage Hills and Mesta Park have some pretty good ones. Particularly in Mesta, along 16th from about Walker west to Shartel, and of course the "curve" along 18th and Shartel are fun to experience.

anything on Carey Place?

i always remember hearing stories of that street being haunted when i grew up

5. Default Re: Any Good Halloween Themed Homes/Neighborhoods Around OKC?

If anyone happens to drive past locations and thinks to take a pic, please post.....

I've seriously thought about renting a small party bus and hosting a costume party and having it drive us around and occasionally get out and take pics at different locations with good decorations before ending up at a pub or something that's doing a Halloween event.

Crown Heights pretty much closes its streets during Trick or Treat because there are thousands of people roaming around that night.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    anything on Carey Place?

i always remember hearing stories of that street being haunted when i grew up
    I remember the stories of the naked lady ghost walking by the window in one of those houses.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Heritage Hills and Mesta Park have some pretty good ones. Particularly in Mesta, along 16th from about Walker west to Shartel, and of course the "curve" along 18th and Shartel are fun to experience.
    Here. You can tell the neighbors have a nice one-upping competition going.

I live in Drakestone in Yukon. We get a quite a few trick or treaters. there is a haunted house on the block behind us that everyone always tells us about. My wife and I give out full size bars and cook bacon and give it out to the parents (or kids that want it) we have roughly 200 kids come by on Halloween.

There's a good one on the SW corner of NW 34th & Military.

There's a really good, creepy scene on the SE corner of NW 18th and Robinson (east edge of HH). The homeowners do something every year. This year there's an archway made of cornstalks, a spooky cornfield and a bunch of scary skeletons dressed appropriately for the setup. If it's not pouring down rain (because I believe they take them inside), they'll have a pair of zombie girls on swings in the cornfield, swinging in the wind. The girls' heads move and their eyes glow. There's some sort of eerie music playing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    I live in Drakestone in Yukon. We get a quite a few trick or treaters. there is a haunted house on the block behind us that everyone always tells us about. My wife and I give out full size bars and cook bacon and give it out to the parents (or kids that want it) we have roughly 200 kids come by on Halloween.
    Bacon?!? That's unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Bacon?!? That's unexpected.
    yep it started because my mother gave us 7lbs of blue and gold bacon and it was just me and my wife so we didn't know what to do with that much bacon. it's now been 6 years and we're known as the bacon house. it wasn't a hit the first year. people were skeptical. now 6 years in and we run out fast. we need to get something to be able to cook more bacon and keep it warm. We put it all in a crockpot but 10lbs of bacon fills that up pretty quick. we found we can only cook and keep warm about 12 lbs before we run out of space.

Quote Originally Posted by whatitis View Post
    yep it started because my mother gave us 7lbs of blue and gold bacon and it was just me and my wife so we didn't know what to do with that much bacon. it's now been 6 years and we're known as the bacon house. it wasn't a hit the first year. people were skeptical. now 6 years in and we run out fast. we need to get something to be able to cook more bacon and keep it warm. We put it all in a crockpot but 10lbs of bacon fills that up pretty quick. we found we can only cook and keep warm about 12 lbs before we run out of space.
    What a cool tradition!

What a cool tradition!
    2 crockpots full. Ran out by 715. Was told someone heard about a bacon house on kj103

Wow,
    Blue and Gold bacon. The finest in the land. Where do you live? I want to "trick or treat" at your place. Where do you buy it? I bought it for years at the Jones Pharmacy but the company took it over over at their place on N. Hiwassee. I would purchase four packages at a time. I never liked thick sliced bacon until I tried theirs.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Wow,
    Blue and Gold bacon. The finest in the land. Where do you live? I want to "trick or treat" at your place. Where do you buy it? I bought it for years at the Jones Pharmacy but the company took it over over at their place on N. Hiwassee. I would purchase four packages at a time. I never liked thick sliced bacon until I tried theirs.
    C. T.
    https://www.blueandgoldsausage.com/finding-products

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191031_173710.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	15685

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191031_175412.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	15686

18. Default Re: Any Good Halloween Themed Homes/Neighborhoods Around OKC?

We moved into our east Edmond neighborhood in 2013. In the last 6 years we've only had ONE Trick-or-Treater that entire time. This year I decided to do more than just put orange lights on the house. I went "all out" (by my standards and previous history) and it seemed to work.... Went from ZERO expectations to almost 30 costumed kiddos. I think it also helped that the NextDoor app now has a map that shows homes that say they will be handing out candy.

It's mostly older people in our neighborhood (though several young families have moved in in recent years). Also, the houses sit on an average of 2 acres - so, you don't get a lot of candy return on your walking efforts.

Made a little video last night of my effort to draw in the kiddos....

*My theme is all over the place. It's more kid friendly for the month of Oct. and then I break out the horror stuff and smoke on Halloween night.

Wow this is quite the setup for a good haul! Is this all your doing or do you have neighbors and friends joining in/donating? Judging by the amount of chairs, looks to be popular.

Dang, you guys sure do go all out. Not only bacon, but also full-size candy! Bet you're the neighborhood favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    We moved into our east Edmond neighborhood in 2013. In the last 6 years we've only had ONE Trick-or-Treater that entire time. This year I decided to do more than just put orange lights on the house. I went "all out" (by my standards and previous history) and it seemed to work.... Went from ZERO expectations to almost 30 costumed kiddos. I think it also helped that the NextDoor app now has a map that shows homes that say they will be handing out candy.

It's mostly older people in our neighborhood (though several young families have moved in in recent years). Also, the houses sit on an average of 2 acres - so, you don't get a lot of candy return on your walking efforts.

Made a little video last night of my effort to draw in the kiddos....

*My theme is all over the place. It's more kid friendly for the month of Oct. and then I break out the horror stuff and smoke on Halloween night.

Great effort! Way to get much-improved results! Seems like people these days fall into two camps: they either want more trick-or-treaters and don't get them, or else they get way too many to handle.

It was such a beautiful night last night.

Dang, you guys sure do go all out. Not only bacon, but also full-size candy! Bet you're the neighborhood favorite!
    My dad comes over and friends. We order pizza and way over do it. It's just our doing. Apparently the kids at the nearby schools were talking about the bacon house all week lol

We had a neighbor talk about joining in but she moved.

Thanks, I don't drive anymore so Jones was out of my range, maybe the Edmond places will be easier for me on my mobility scooter. Beats asking my sons so get it for me.
    C. T.

Thread Information