Widgets Magazine

Thread: Yellowstone Tips

1. Default Yellowstone Tips

I'm planning a family trip to Yellowstone next summer. I would appreciate any tips that anyone might have. Thanks

Default Re: Yellowstone Tips

I've been once but only on a day trip. It's absolutely gorgeous.

We stayed in Livingston, MT, a great little old west town to the north. I loved Livingston but if you want to stay a larger town with more restaurants and shopping, Bozeman is pretty great.

I was there recently for the first time, post labor day. A lot of the major sites within the park will jammed with people. Parking could be difficult or impossible but not all of it. The park is open 24 hours. Get up early and go.

We were in an RV. Stayed a few nights in a forest service camp ground outside the east side and a few nights in an RV park in West Yellowstone. Drove in multiple days and explored the parts nearest our base. It's big. The Spanish restaurant in West Yellowstone is awesome. Best meal on the loooong trip. Cafe Madriz.

If you want to see wolves, the best place is in Lamar Valley at or before daylight. That is far northeast, you will need to stay up there or near by. It's a multi hour drive from either east side or west side. Advice we didn't take, hire a wildlife guide. There is a lot to see without a guide but if I went back I would do that.

It's fantastic.

There are a couple of phone apps that might be helpful with guides and info. Download them and the offline content before you go. There is very little cell service that can carry data in the park. It is there in a couple of places but not a lot. One of the things in the app is estimated times the geysers will blow.

Blog Entries

One of our greatest family trips ever was a trek to Montana and then Wyoming. Started out flying into Helena and rented a van and drove up to Glacier National Park for several days (Going to the Sun Road). Then we headed back south to Jackson Hole/Grand Teton National Park for a few days and on to Yellowstone to end. People at Glacier apologized because it was 82 and "so hot" in late July. Regardless of your agenda, you should have a great time.

There's a Great Clips Less than 80 miles away

Honestly, there needs to be a Great Clips IN the park. Pretty ridiculous there isn't. Give it plenty of surface parking, just like all the metro OKC Great Clip locations. God, a $7.99 haircut?! It sells itself!

Make sure to make time to spend at least one day in the Grant Tetons. Scenery like few places in the country. Love Yellowstone but love the Tetons more. Not sure what your plans are but try to do things that require getting out of the car and hiking short distances. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is one example.

9. Default Re: Yellowstone Tips

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    Make sure to make time to spend at least one day in the Grant Tetons. Scenery like few places in the country. Love Yellowstone but love the Tetons more. Not sure what your plans are but try to do things that require getting out of the car and hiking short distances. Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is one example.
    Thanks for all of the tips so far. We definitely will be doing a lot of hiking. We'll be flying in to Bozeman and I hope to get up to Glacier NP.

We stayed in Cooke City just outside the northern gate. Make sure you drive the Chief Joseph Highway and Bear Tooth Highway. We thought some of the best views were outside the park. Chief Joseph was amazing. Also agree with the Grand Tetons comment. The whole area is stunning.

Thread Information