Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Santos Mexican Kitchen (formerly Chico Blanco)

Default Re: Chico Blanco (was to be San Marcos)

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Read today that White Boy is having a grand opening on July 12.
    but they open tomorrow .. being called a "soft" but it is open the 9th 10th and 11th

I stopped by last night for a 'friends and family' event.

I didn't eat, just walked around...

It's beautiful space and highly visible from the street and canal. It's going to bring a lot more life to the canal IMO.

Shown is the limited menu for the soft opening this weekend.

How bizarre that they don't even translate lengua...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I'd assume they are relying on people who know what it is to order it. If I don't know I typically ask what something is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    i am not sure i have ever seen that translated on a menu

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i am not sure i have ever seen that translated on a menu
    Taqueria El Rey translates it, and a couple of other taco trucks/taquerias around that we've been to do, can't remember which ones though. Thought BTT did, but they just list theirs as "beef tongue".

Menu doesn't look bad. I'd be willing to try it.

Is this the space that was occupied by Lotus MANY MANY MANY years ago ???

9. Default Re: Chico Blanco (was to be San Marcos)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I stopped by last night for a 'friends and family' event.

I didn't eat, just walked around...

It's beautiful space and highly visible from the street and canal. It's going to bring a lot more life to the canal IMO.

Shown is the limited menu for the soft opening this weekend.

This is an AMAZING pic, can't believe this is Oklahoma City. WOW!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

except the ferris wheel in the parking lot, feel like that trashes it up a bit. make it permanent, sure okay, but this make shift arrangement isn't working aesthetically.

If they make the ferris wheel permanent, I'd hope they'd at least invest in one that doesn't look like it belongs at the Caddo County Fair or something.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    This is an AMAZING pic, can't believe this is Oklahoma City. WOW!
    That section of the canal between Oklahoma and Mickey Mantel is really lively these days with Tipsy Tiki (they have live music on the canal most nights), Bourdon Street (all the tables on the canal were full that night), the minigolf, the small bar right on the canal by Brickopolis, Michael Murphys, the canal boats going by with live music... If we could just expand that activity to the west and south.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If they make the ferris wheel permanent, I'd hope they'd at least invest in one that doesn't look like it belongs at the Caddo County Fair or something.
    Right, that's what I mean, build up the infrastructure, etc, so it doesn't look so janky

14. Default Re: Chico Blanco (was to be San Marcos)

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Is this the space that was occupied by Lotus MANY MANY MANY years ago ???
    No. That is across the canal where Yucatan Taco Stand is today.

Popped in on Friday during the soft open. A couple of minor hiccups which was expected due it to be their first day open to the public and a soft opening, so I won't mention them other than that.

We ordered the queso blanco not realizing they would also serve queso, uh amarillo (?) for "free". The free queso was better than the typical "cheese water" you might get from other Tex-Mex places so that was good. Seemed like real cheese, but I dunno. The queso blanco was also good; had a few more going on with it and had a nice smoky flavor, but probably I would just rely on the free stuff in the future. Salsa was also served with the free queso and that as good, but nothing noteworthy. Chips and tortillas as well were perfectly fine.

I got a carne asada taco and a beef birria taco. Both were really flavorful and very good, so I'd definitely come back to try out some of the other tacos and whatever else is on their full menu. I will say that, IMO, the name fits as it definitely felt like "white boy" Mexican food - i.e. Tex Mex, albeit I think this place is elevated some compared to, say, Ted's.

The space, as seen in Pete's photos above, was very nice. The chair's were very cush and the atmosphere overall was nice.

All in all, I'll definitely visit again when I'm in Bricktown. Good spot.

I stopped by last wednesday. Ordered the tableside guac, birria and al pastor tacos, and the chicken/beef fajitas. I was supposed to go the friday before but went to julio's instead cause my dining partner wanted outdoor seating.

The tableside guac wasn't made tableside. It wasn't at julio's either, but I do like that tableside is the only choice. I questioned whether I'd get regular and never know about it, and settled for the regular at julios. A tell I imagine for julio's tableside vs regular is that the regular comes with iceberg lettuce.

It comes with chips, queso, and salsa. The queso is oklahoma free queso, but the salsa was pretty good! Chunky, not too salty.

The tacos aren't the size of street tacos, they're a size up like the ones you get when you order fajitas which I wasn't a fan of. I was also crushed that the birria tacos were made of beef not lamb. Also the consumme had more of the consistency/taste of gravy until I squeezed half my lime wedge in there.

If you've ordered the chicken/beef fajitas at julios you get the same portions, but the quality of meet came out better. Mexican rice tends to come out overcooked, hoping that was something I only saw in pictures. Go for the cilantro lime rice.

Free sopa's at the end. All in all I think a good get for bricktown. Between this and Rendezvous it's nice to have reasons to go there from a dining perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I was also crushed that the birria tacos were made of beef not lamb. .
    are there any good spots in okc with Lamb birria tacos?? that sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    are there any good spots in okc with Lamb birria tacos?? that sounds great
    Birrieria Diaz on 39th and College across from SNU. Arguably one of OKC's best restaurants regardless of cuisine. Amazing place. It's been open about a decade now and has expanded its interior space twice. Owned by a lovely immigrant family from Aguascalientes via Los Angeles.

Birrieria Diaz on 39th and College across from SNU. Arguably one of OKC's best restaurants regardless of cuisine. Amazing place. It's been open about a decade now and has expanded its interior space twice. Owned by a lovely immigrant family from Aguascalientes via Los Angeles.
    thank you

Thanks for the tip. Somebody check for me, but I dont' think this place came up even in the Birria tacos thread?

21. Default Re: Chico Blanco (was to be San Marcos)

Thanks for the tip. Somebody check for me, but I dont' think this place came up even in the Birria tacos thread?
    I don't remember which thread(s) but I'm pretty certain I've seen this place mentioned here a few times but it's been a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I don't remember which thread(s) but I'm pretty certain I've seen this place mentioned here a few times but it's been a few years back.

I've since checked. Unless there's more than 1 thread searching for specifically birria tacos, it wasn't mentioned.

I've since checked. Unless there's more than 1 thread searching for specifically birria tacos, it wasn't mentioned.
    They just do birria, that's why they didn't come up in the tacos thread. They're one of the few (if not only) places that uses lamb for their birria, but I don't know many other birrierias here, ,and I haven't been there in a couple of years, so they may do birria tacos now.

They do way more than birria there. They don’t advertise them as “birria tacos,” though. That seems more of a chico blanco move, lol. It’s birria, but they serve them with a lot of relishes and fixins and piping hot tortillas.

They do way more than birria there. They don’t advertise them as “birria tacos,” though. That seems more of a chico blanco move, lol. It’s birria, but they serve them with a lot of relishes and fixins and piping hot tortillas.
    Yeah, I know they do more than birria, I've been there many times, I misphrased that, What I meant was they serve birria as just birria, not birria tacos. And the way they serve it isn't like the other places that serve birria tacos - those put the meat (and cheese sometimes) on the tortilla and then the tortilla is put on a flat-top and grilled and then folded up (at least it's been that way wherever we've ordered them.

Thread Information