Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Yeah I would agree that the bridge itself is a good investment, it’s just the execution of the project that has been terrible IMO.

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    So how much is it worth to keep people from being killed at a very dangerous area while trying to cross by foot or bicycle? There are other pedestrian and bicycle bridges in OKC. Were those also a massive waste of money? I suspect this will get more traffic than the bridge over I44 at Woodson Park. Considering how long this bridge will last I think it was a very wise idea.
    I second this ^^^.

Plus it safely connects the Overholser to Hefner trail system.

CITY OF OKC PRESS RELEASE:

Installation begins Sept. 14 on pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway

Northwest Expressway from Wilshire Boulevard to MacArthur Boulevard will close from midnight to 5 a.m. Sept. 14 so construction crews can hoist an iconic 121-foot pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway, east of Wilshire Boulevard.
    Welding, decking, assembly and other work will take place over the next few weeks, causing the outside east and westbound lanes to be closed through mid-October. Two lanes in each direction will remain open to traffic.
    The bridge will link the Lake Hefner and Lake Overholser Trail and provide safer passage for walkers, cyclists and runners across NW Expressway. The $5.3 million project is funded by the 2007 Bond Program and the 2017 Better Streets, Safer City Bond Program.
    The design concept represents classic cars from the 40s, 50s and 60s and nearby airports, Wiley Post and Clarence E Page, and their aviation heritage.

Blog Entries

LOL a safer intersection could have been done at-grade for much cheaper than putting this bridge in, they just didn't even try. But doing the safer at-grade intersection would have inconvenienced drivers and we'd rather spend the millions so drivers can continue to not consider the safety of their driving.

Also what good is a "safe bridge" in connecting Lake O and Lake H when we only have a painted line on a big chunk of that connection? If the entire connection was actually off-street (there are both on-street and painted bike lane components currently), the argument would be much more valid. If you've never ridden the connection, you should try it sometime. If we REALLY cared about safety, the entire connection would be either off street (e.g. fully trail) or protected when on-street.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    So how much is it worth to keep people from being killed at a very dangerous area while trying to cross by foot or bicycle? There are other pedestrian and bicycle bridges in OKC. Were those also a massive waste of money? I suspect this will get more traffic than the bridge over I44 at Woodson Park. Considering how long this bridge will last I think it was a very wise idea.
    Check the self righteous indignation for a moment and think could we have done this better for cheaper? The answer is yes. If we wanted useful and usable pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure it would have been done at grade. We could and should have barrier protected pedestrian and bike lanes/crossings all the way down expressway. To think this ridiculous waste of money is solving a problem effectively is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    Check the self righteous indignation for a moment and think could we have done this better for cheaper? The answer is yes. If we wanted useful and usable pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure it would have been done at grade. We could and should have barrier protected pedestrian and bike lanes/crossings all the way down expressway. To think this ridiculous waste of money is solving a problem effectively is laughable.
    At grade? Lol are you kidding me? At grade crossings for separate modes of transportation is the worst choice possible and only done because it’s easier and cheaper. This by far and large much safer for pedestrians and cyclists and many more of these should be built. You have no clue what you’re talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    LOL a safer intersection could have been done at-grade for much cheaper than putting this bridge in, they just didn't even try. But doing the safer at-grade intersection would have inconvenienced drivers and we'd rather spend the millions so drivers can continue to not consider the safety of their driving.

Also what good is a "safe bridge" in connecting Lake O and Lake H when we only have a painted line on a big chunk of that connection? If the entire connection was actually off-street (there are both on-street and painted bike lane components currently), the argument would be much more valid. If you've never ridden the connection, you should try it sometime. If we REALLY cared about safety, the entire connection would be either off street (e.g. fully trail) or protected when on-street.
    So you think that an at grade crossing is safer than a grade separated one for three different modes of traffic?

One of the primary reasons for this is to provide a somewhat seamless connection between the Overholser Trail and the one that goes around Lake Hefner. Lots of cyclists.

But also, eventually the Bus Rapid Transit system will extend up this way (the first phase stops at Meridian). There are thousands of apartments just southwest of this bridge and the overhead connection will provide easy access to a future station on the north side of NW Expressway. And will do so without stopping the very heavy car traffic.

An overhead crossing like this makes more sense here than just about anywhere around OKC.

^^^^ if you look at other cities that have extensive trail systems many of them have over or under crossings to have more of a free flowing system for trail users and yes it does also benefit car drivers. I guess some would rather want at grade crossings just to stick it to car drivers even though the grade separation is safer in every single way.

Blog Entries

People who actually do this for a living have spoken on this subject.

https://twitter.com/orangeurbansf/st...34856889581568

11. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

If I were still riding I would not be a fan of that design. Or any on grade design on a street as crazy as NW Expressway. Way too many drivers on NW Expressway that pay zero attention to where they're supposed to stop at intersections. And some that believe red isn't really red until it's been red for a second or two. I've been across that intersection a thousand times and it was bad. That design would be an improvement but still not a fraction as safe as the bridge.

The steepness of the ramp on the north side seems like it wouldn't be much fun on a bike going up or even walking just looking at it from afar. I realize the bridge has to be high so I'm sure that is how it had to be. Maybe it will be different actually using it. It also doesn't look very ADA compliant but maybe it doesn't have to be.

Blog Entries

These were my thoughts as well after I went there, but we'll find out I guess

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    The steepness of the ramp on the north side seems like it wouldn't be much fun on a bike going up or even walking just looking at it from afar. I realize the bridge has to be high so I'm sure that is how it had to be. Maybe it will be different actually using it. It also doesn't look very ADA compliant but maybe it doesn't have to be.
    The pedestrian bridge over I44 is also steep, especially if you ride a bike over it, going east into the park there's a sharp turn and if you miss, you end up in swing set.

15. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    The pedestrian bridge over I44 is also steep, especially if you ride a bike over it, going east into the park there's a sharp turn and if you miss, you end up in swing set.
    I have to add that I was a competitive cyclist but the I44 bridge was no problem at all. The new bridge looks to me like a piece of cake. Most casual cyclists ride mountain or similar bikes and the lowest gear should be no problem on though ramps.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    People who actually do this for a living have spoken on this subject.

https://twitter.com/orangeurbansf/st...34856889581568
    Yeah and their opinion is utterly ridiculous. I’ve read the same thing from other urbanists who don’t like grade separations for stuff like this. It’s a ridiculous argument. It’s safer to separate the grades by modes of transport.

I'm sure the traffic count is well above 100,000 at that intersection per day. No where else on the trails connection has this much traffic and congestion. Safety at this intersection is paramount.
    This is a somewhat iconic design, and a lot of folks on this board complain that we are only average and cheap on the build. This is money well spent IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah and their opinion is utterly ridiculous. I’ve read the same thing from other urbanists who don’t like grade separations for stuff like this. It’s a ridiculous argument. It’s safer to separate the grades by modes of transport.
    It's a professional opinion but go off I guess, since you know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I'm sure the traffic count is well above 100,000 at that intersection per day. No where else on the trails connection has this much traffic and congestion. Safety at this intersection is paramount.
    This is a somewhat iconic design, and a lot of folks on this board complain that we are only average and cheap on the build. This is money well spent IMO.
    Not even close

The stretch of Northwest Expressway at Wilshire has an average daily vehicle count topping 46,000 and, to minimize traffic headaches, Allen Contracting will be building a prefabricated bridge that will then be placed over the street.Nov 17, 2021

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ay/8638146002/

this is interesting, the only time I care for a bridge while riding my bike is over a highway and those usually are not as steep and have a sidewalk like where NW Grand turns into S Lake Hefner drive once you get on the highway bridge

https://www.itdp.org/2019/10/01/pede...building-them/

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/03/...g-and-transit/

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    not even close

the stretch of northwest expressway at wilshire has an average daily vehicle count topping 46,000 and, to minimize traffic headaches, allen contracting will be building a prefabricated bridge that will then be placed over the street.nov 17, 2021

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...ay/8638146002/
    The Oklahoman story is behind a paywall.

I just looked at ODOT and it has a 53,700 count for that stretch in 2018.

What did Allen Contracting do in 2021 ?

Tried to copy but couldn't get it to work.

22. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

The article said 49,900 so not too different.

Nov 2021 was when construction started.

that is weird, I don't have a subscription for the oklahoman and it lets me read it, maybe clear your browser history/cookies.

"The stretch of Northwest Expressway at Wilshire has an average daily vehicle count topping 46,000 and, to minimize traffic headaches, Allen Contracting will be building a prefabricated bridge that will then be placed over the street. The bridge is set to open by late 2022."

Article is from 2021, its only talking about the section at Wilshire and NW Expressway having 46k average which is not even close to 100k

24. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

that is weird, I don't have a subscription for the oklahoman and it lets me read it, maybe clear your browser history/cookies.

"The stretch of Northwest Expressway at Wilshire has an average daily vehicle count topping 46,000 and, to minimize traffic headaches, Allen Contracting will be building a prefabricated bridge that will then be placed over the street. The bridge is set to open by late 2022."

Article is from 2021, its only talking about the section at Wilshire and NW Expressway having 46k average which is not even close to 100k
    The Oklahoman lets you have x number of free articles. After the bridge one l have 1 left.

The number Lackmeyer appears to be quoting is from ACOG traffic counts which were 46,332 vehicles per day in May of 2017,

Thread Information