Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Blog Entries

Northwest OKC Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard Pedestrian Bridge

City of Oklahoma City - Community Meeting

Meeting: Tuesday, October 29, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
    Northwest Event Center 6009 Northwest Expressway

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard Pedestrian Bridge

City of Oklahoma City - Community Meeting

Meeting: Tuesday, October 29, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
    Northwest Event Center 6009 Northwest Expressway
    I'm glad they are finally getting around to building this. I thought it was scheduled to be done 3 years ago

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    I'm glad they are finally getting around to building this. I thought it was scheduled to be done 3 years ago
    It was a listed project in the 2007 GO Bond Election package...

Blog Entries

I hope it doesn't take 12 years for the pedestrian bridge over the river that was included in the 2017 GO bond.........

I saw a series of new renderings from the LWPB Architecture FB page about this bridge.

I am not really sure how to post pictures from a FB post.

Here you go:

Blog Entries

Why aren't we doing this at more NW Exp intersections?

Any idea which design they're using?

That "Expressway" design looks really sharp.

I would also like more grade separated interchanges on NWE to make it more like an expressway. The best option would be a freeway conversion but that likely never happens though a bridge for buses for cars to use for a fee would be ideal. This could also fund free BRT service, potentially.

I like "Rush Hour" and "Motion." The bottom two look like they would catch too much wind.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Why aren't we doing this at more NW Exp intersections?
    A small little thing called not being able to just print money. They have to pick and choose. Not sure why they chose this intersection, but that may explain why they aren't planning one at every crossing.

Blog Entries

Looks like we'll have a complementary pedestrian bridge on the N.W. Expressway much akin to Skydance Bridge overlooking downtown on I-40. Anxious to see the final plans submitted and approved.

It's nice to see a piece added here & there throughout our city.

Keep up this kind of planning, would be nice to have a total of 5 colorful lighted pedestrian bridges strategically placed throughout the city, all unique to the areas they are placed.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    A small little thing called not being able to just print money. They have to pick and choose. Not sure why they chose this intersection, but that may explain why they aren't planning one at every crossing.
    I believe this intersection is chosen specifically for the trail system to help hook Lake Hefner up. If you have ever tried to follow the trail system on bike from west Lake Hefner over to the west trails by Overholser, crossing NW Expressway is death defying.

Blog Entries

Makes sense. I've not taken O to H, but I've taken the Will Rogers trail to H, and you have to cross NW Exp at Meridian...

This is exciting! Glad they're putting some thought into the design and not just throwing up a metal cage over the road. I like all of them except Rush Hour.

Love the idea but hate the location. If you are not using trails it helps no one. Look at the south end. If one wanted to walk to this bridge from the east (go west to the bridge) you are in road due to the smallish pond just east of apartments. No way to get thru. On the west you come upon Wilshire.

So this is solely for path?

Plans moving forward NW Expressway pedestrian bridge

City Council will vote on Tuesday to move towards final plans and installation of a large pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway.

The location would be just south of Wilshire Boulevard and tie together bike and walking trails and provide access to future Bus Rapid Transit lines that are planned for the expressway corridor.

Access to the bridge would be through steps but also a ramp system for the disabled and cyclists. Included in the project is the construction of trail exertions.

Total cost is estimated at just over $3 million and funding would come from general obligation bonds.

Several design concepts had been previously presented, but the recommendation is for “The Expressway”, a lighted chevon that reflects cars from the '40s, '50s and '60s.

If approved by the council, the 130-foot bridge would start construction in Fall 2020.

I love this. Can someone remind them not to use wooden slats for any part of the bridge or the bicycle and wheelchair ramps? (Lookin' at you, Skydance Bridge)

Just don’t use the contractor involved in the failed/collapsed Florida pedestrian bridge.

—-

Design errors draw blame in collapse of FIU pedestrian bridge that killed 6

John Bacon | USA TODAY
    Updated 5:02 p.m. CDT Oct. 22, 2019

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/2449316001/

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    Just don’t use the contractor involved in the failed/collapsed Florida pedestrian bridge.

—-

Design errors draw blame in collapse of FIU pedestrian bridge that killed 6

John Bacon | USA TODAY
    Updated 5:02 p.m. CDT Oct. 22, 2019

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...se/2449316001/
    i am certain there are thousands of contractors besides this one, and there are hundreds of thousands of pedestrian bridges that haven't collapsed. i would say the odds are in our favor on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i am certain there are thousands of contractors besides this one, and there are hundreds of thousands of pedestrian bridges that haven't collapsed. i would say the odds are in our favor on that front.
    I know, my post was a bit sarcasm and a bit reality.

On a related note I like the concept but hate the location. Its an area not walked much and the only users will be bikes occasionally. Bad location imo. Should have put one down by Baptist or down by Penn Square Mall for max use. Then maybe around Meridian with the park there?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I know, my post was a bit sarcasm and a bit reality.

On a related note I like the concept but hate the location. Its an area not walked much and the only users will be bikes occasionally. Bad location imo. Should have put one down by Baptist or down by Penn Square Mall for max use. Then maybe around Meridian with the park there?
    this is how i feel as well. i love the concept and even the design, not so sure about the location exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    this is how i feel as well. i love the concept and even the design, not so sure about the location exactly.
    Since one of the intended uses (if not the major purpose) is to connect bike/walking trails, this location makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Since one of the intended uses (if not the major purpose) is to connect bike/walking trails, this location makes sense.
    Agree. If you look at the big picture for OKC's biking and trails plans, this fits in where it belongs.

Thread Information