Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

1. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by tzshaner View Post
    Does any one know what is currently holding up this bridge from opening? It has been 4 months since they opened up the streets below the bridge but so far it still has tape/boards across the ramps leading up to the bridge.
    I think I read somewhere weeks ago that it's about some parts for the safety railing that they can't get.

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

i think i've seen the lights for this bridge on maybe two or three times since it's been completed which is hilarious considering they look just like simple bulbs. i like the idea of more pedestrian crossings across expressway but perhaps not in this exact style. i wish they would do something about the bare concrete and commission some local artists. hopefully it gets some use soon!

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

There will be a ceremonial opening of this bridge Wednesday at 10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There will be a ceremonial opening of this bridge Wednesday at 10 AM.
    Lol I rode past it this weekend and they did a better job of blocking it off then the simple 2x4 that was there previously. Ill be glad once the bike lanes on wilshire are replaced with an actual MUP. The bike lanes are okay but I can see how others might feel unsafe there.

They should at least make the bike lanes on Wilshire protected.

6. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

pics
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Press release:

Iconic pedestrian bridge opens over NW Expressway
    06/7/2022

Oklahoma City took another step towards becoming a more pedestrian and cycling-friendly community today by opening a 121-foot pedestrian bridge over NW Expressway Blvd near Wilshire.

The bridge provides safe passage for walkers, cyclists and runners on the 7.8-mile Hefner – Overholser Trail which runs from Britton Road at Lake Hefner Drive to NW 39th Street at Overholser Drive.

“This bridge provides an important and safe connection for the hundreds of thousands of people who use our world-class trails system every year,” said Mayor David Holt. “I thank the voters for approving this bridge and for continuing to invest in opportunities for physical activity and alternative transit.”

The Bridge’s design concept represents classic cars from the 40s, 50s and 60s and nearby airports, Wiley Post and Clarence E Page.

The $5.3 million project was funded by the 2007 Bond Program and the 2017 Better Streets Safer City Bond Program.

Look nice but it would have been even better if they could have also added stairs as well.

There are steps on the north side of the bridge.

I was thinking an elevator. Looks like quite the challenge for a non motorized wheel chair.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    I was thinking an elevator. Looks like quite the challenge for a non motorized wheel chair.
    Yeah I was thinking elevators would be nice too but that would surely require ongoing maintenance I wonder if it’s something they can do in the future.

I just saw the steps on the north side. Better one side than none I guess. Not sure why they didn’t add steps to the south part.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Yeah I was thinking elevators would be nice too but that would surely require ongoing maintenance I wonder if it’s something they can do in the future.
    I cannot remember being in a publicly accessible elevator that aged well. It would be nice if it could be cleaned and maintained.

I don't understand why the ramp on the left side of the bridge in the photo had to be this complicated zig zag design whenever it could have just been a long ramp over Brookside Dr. connecting directly to the sidewalk/future multi-purpose trail.

Quote Originally Posted by AnguisHerba View Post
    I don't understand why the ramp on the left side of the bridge in the photo had to be this complicated zig zag design whenever it could have just been a long ramp over Brookside Dr. connecting directly to the sidewalk/future multi-purpose trail.
    They wanted a BMX course.

That would have required another bridge which would be very expensive to go over a street with just a fraction of the traffic on NW Expressway. Just using a ramp wouldn't have nearly enough clearance over the street.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    That would have required another bridge which would be very expensive to go over a street with just a fraction of the traffic on NW Expressway. Just using a ramp wouldn't have nearly enough clearance over the street.
    I think you make a good point, but when I compare the long ramp on the north side - which does allow for clearance over a private drive - to what was done on the south side, I just can't really see there being much of a material difference in cost or scope compared to what was ultimately built.

I think you make a good point, but when I compare the long ramp on the north side - which does allow for clearance over a private drive - to what was done on the south side, I just can't really see there being much of a material difference in cost or scope compared to what was ultimately built.
    But it just isn't justified to cross what is essentially just a regular arterial street instead of a very high volume street like NW Expressway. I feel quite confident all of the options were considered before going with the final design.

It appears structural issues have reared their ugly head. They have now put in temporary structural support devices on the long ramp on the north side. It went in a few days ago. It covers a fairly large section near the top.

19. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

We live near it and while the look of the actual bridge is ok (retro car grill), this thing is an eyesore and looks out of place. I do feel sorry for the CDR business. Poor planning IMO and it now seems poor execution. Took forever to build and looks like a problem all around.

The lowest bidder cutting corners and ignoring ADA requirements. Sounds about right for Oklahoma City. On par with the construction of Plaza Towers elementary school in Moore that killed students due to a tornado strike.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    We live near it and while the look of the actual bridge is ok (retro car grill), this thing is an eyesore and looks out of place. I do feel sorry for the CDR business. Poor planning IMO and it now seems poor execution. Took forever to build and looks like a problem all around.
    This. It’s ugly and poorly designed.

Let's spend a fortune making pedestrian bridge that most resembles a rat maze. And even better, let's make it car themed, as viewed from the perspective of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by lady_o View Post
    Let's spend a fortune making pedestrian bridge that most resembles a rat maze. And even better, let's make it car themed, as viewed from the perspective of cars.
    I hope cars are driven on NW EXPWY.

I hope cars are not driven on the bridge either!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    The lowest bidder cutting corners and ignoring ADA requirements. Sounds about right for Oklahoma City. On par with the construction of Plaza Towers elementary school in Moore that killed students due to a tornado strike.
    There is no indication that they ignored ADA requirements and would not have gotten approval for such a design. Why do you think they ignored ADA requirements?

Thread Information