Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Went by yesterday and they are close to pouring the pillars on the north side of NWEx for this bridge.

I can't fly my drone in this area, otherwise I'd post a photo.

Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    That "Expressway" design looks really sharp.
    I agree, that is the only design I like, the other designs are too busy

Press release:

Sections of a 121-foot pedestrian bridge to be placed over NW Expressway Boulevard (State Highway 3), east of Wilshire Boulevard will be delivered to the Expressway’s median between 10-11 a.m. Wednesday, April 13.

Welding and assembly of the bridge superstructure will take place in the median over the next few weeks.

The bridge’s design concept represents classic cars from the 40s, 50s and 60s nearby airports, Wiley Post and Clarence E. Page, and their aviation heritage.

The bridge will link the Lake Hefner and Lake Overholser Trail and provide safer passage for walkers, cyclists and runners across NW Expressway.

The $5.3 million project is funded by the 2007 Bond Program and the 2017 Better Streets, Safer City Bond Program.

Drivers should expect intermittent lane closures throughout construction.

^

This picture gives you a window into what OKCTalk would be like without a drone.

Due to the proximity to Wiley Post Airport, I can't even take off anywhere near this area. So, we're left with lousy, ground-level photography that will never be able to capture this project adequately.

I might eat my words later in this thread, but looking at the renderings I don't really foresee there being too many lane closures over the course of this project. Reminds me of the SW 34th St extension over I-35 in Moore, and it's not like that project caused any major, long-lasting traffic bottlenecks.
    This is the part where I eat my words later in this thread, lmao. I don't drive this stretch of Expressway too often, but based on the times that I have, I'm not sure they could have made this project more disruptive to traffic flow if they tried. Unbelievable lol.

8. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

This is the part where I eat my words later in this thread, lmao. I don't drive this stretch of Expressway too often, but based on the times that I have, I'm not sure they could have made this project more disruptive to traffic flow if they tried. Unbelievable lol.
    And I know things take time. But they seem to be working at a snail's pace.

It's so strange they dropped that bridge in the median when they were nowhere close to being ready to position it properly.

10. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's so strange they dropped that bridge in the median when they were nowhere close to being ready to position it properly.
    Exactly! Tease us by making us see the bridge when they're no where near finishing the north side ramp, barely started on the south side ramp supports and no where near having the center support structure ready.

Blog Entries

I will use this bridge, but I will be shaking my head the whole time. They should have at least tried a proper at-grade crossing at first and used the money saved for other needed trail improvements. I wonder how much the cost overruns are in labor alone.

Guess there was no layaway option at Bob's discount bridges? I don't see anything special about this project that would make it take it so long. Its kind of an ugly bridge that they will install some LED lights on and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Exactly! Tease us by making us see the bridge when they're no where near finishing the north side ramp, barely started on the south side ramp supports and no where near having the center support structure ready.
    I think there is no center support pillar. This is probably why the bridge is already in the median. Once the two side pillars are sound enough, they will pick up the bridge and set it on, independent of the ramp/stairs status.

14. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I think there is no center support pillar. This is probably why the bridge is already in the median. Once the two side pillars are sound enough, they will pick up the bridge and set it on, independent of the ramp/stairs status.
    You're right. I was overthinking it.

With the current state of logistics and supply chains, I wonder if their fabricator said we can either build this early for you, or you'll have to wait; so they went ahead and got it built and trucked in? That is odd.

16. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

And now this is on indefinite hold awaiting parts for the LED lighting system.

Holy cow, those bridge sections have been there blocking one lane of traffic for almost 5 months now.

I feel for the people who have to commute through that area.

18. Default Re: Pedestrian Bridge planned accross Northwest Expressway & Wilshire Boulevard

Holy cow, those bridge sections have been there blocking one lane of traffic for almost 5 months now.

I feel for the people who have to commute through that area.
    Like my wife. Well, she could go other ways but she gets one route stuck in her head and that's that.

I noticed a contractor's crews working on lights a couple weeks ago. It stuck because the company was founded by one of the first Journeymen that I worked under years ago.

It’s absurd that they can’t find a better place to temporarily store the bridge. Not like there’s any shortage of empty land in NW OKC.

Well go ahead and add another item to the list of reasons drivers hate pedestrians and bicyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Well go ahead and add another item to the list of reasons drivers hate pedestrians and bicyclists.
    Uh, wut?

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Uh, wut?
    Their commutes being interrupted by a “silly pedestrian bridge” sitting in the middle of the road.

It's absolutely nuts that they couldn't find somewhere else to store the bridge section. Even if the fabricator didn't have room to store it at their shop, it still would have been easy to find another location to store it. I'm sure it would cost them a little extra $$ having to move the bridge twice, but I'd think the cost would be worth it instead of choking off 2 lanes of NW Expressway for half a year.

On a positive note, during lunch today I noticed they had signs up on either side of the work zone saying NW Expressway will be closed on 9/14 from 11:00PM to 5:30AM. So hopefully that is when they are finally going to set the bridge deck in place. Also noticed an electrician was there installing lights on the sides of the bridge.

While I support increasing the Bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure in the city this bridge looks like a massive waste of money. I genuinely hope I am wrong, but it looks like millions of dollars circling the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    While I support increasing the Bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure in the city this bridge looks like a massive waste of money. I genuinely hope I am wrong, but it looks like millions of dollars circling the drain.
    So how much is it worth to keep people from being killed at a very dangerous area while trying to cross by foot or bicycle? There are other pedestrian and bicycle bridges in OKC. Were those also a massive waste of money? I suspect this will get more traffic than the bridge over I44 at Woodson Park. Considering how long this bridge will last I think it was a very wise idea.

Thread Information