Widgets Magazine

Thread: Jo-Bawb's BBQ

Northwest OKC Jo-Bawb's BBQ

Has anyone tried this place? Heard it was a truck set up and the owners had recently moved from Wyoming to OKC.

Default Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ( North OKC)

Great reviews on Yelp; says they are from Montana:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jo-bawbs-bbq-oklahoma-city

Looks like their truck is on their own property near Wilshire and Rockwell.

https://jo-bawbsbbq.com/

Northwest OKC Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ( North OKC)

Yes, and it is some of the best BBQ in OK we've had. I ordered their Sampler Platter so i could try a little of everything and was not disappointed. Central BBQ in Memphis did have my favorite pork ribs, but Jo-Bawb's are better than theirs. Their brisket rivals Kansas City Jo's, and I'm not a huge pulled pork fan, but there's is Amazing, I tried a bite and almost forgot about all the other meats! My second visit I also ordered some sausage which is good, but pretty spicy since it has jalapeno's in it, but not overpowering by any means.

Sides have all been great as well. We've tried the potato salad, beans, and coleslaw; with the beans and potato salad being our favorite.

OH, and they have awesome Burnt ends if you get there before noon usually, or you can can call her and she'll hold some for you.

They are a sweet older couple, in a trailer parked out front of the space they lease in an Industrial complex off of Rockwell and Wilshire & Rockwell with a couple of picnic tables inside the space, no A/C though. Definitely one of NW OKC's best kept secrets!

Northwest OKC Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ( North OKC)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jo bawbs 1.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	15651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo bawbs 2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	15652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jo bawbs 3.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	272.7 KB 
ID:	15653

^

Thanks very much for all the great info.

Drinks $1! You don't see that very often.

Looks like a really smart setup.

6. Default Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ( North OKC)

They've been around a couple of years. I always thought it was interesting that they are right down the street from Swadley's Corporate office.... Wonder if they ever get any business from them.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo...7.640856?hl=en
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	15654  

I would also like to thank Urbanite for the info on this place. I look forward to sampling the wares when I get
    a chance to travel up there. I was getting my info third hand and the written review and pics was informative. Thank you, and thanks for that link Pete.

Relatively close to my house so we went by last night after seeing this thread. We got there at 6 knowing we might be out of luck (they close at 7) and they were down to only ribs and a little bit of sausage. We'll give it another go soon. Get there early if you want to try them out!

As Urbanite mentioned, they also said they will hold food for you if you call so you can go that route too.

We went today... got there about 10 minutes before 11 and the 'Jo' side of Jo-Bawb's greeted us. We needed a few minutes to decide which direction we wanted to go - but the smell in the air made our eyes roll back in our heads and we ended up spending $48! I don't regret it for an instant! We got 1/2 pound each of chicken wings (only available on Wednesdays), brisket, burnt ends, and pulled pork - no sides. It was so windy we had decided we were going to take it home - and I'm glad we did. I would not want anyone to witness the spectacle we made of ourselves. I have never had burnt ends - but I'm here to tell you, if burnt ends were all that was left to this world of barbecue in the next millennia, I could still be a very happy woman. They came already wearing a nice coat of sauce, but the rest of the meat was naked - and as much as I love BBQ sauce, it was superfluous. Didn't even use it and it definitely didn't need it. And that $48 provided enough meat for both of us to eat hearty lunches. Then we had hearty dinners. And there's still enough for one of us to have a hearty lunch tomorrow. If y'all never see me again, you'll know there was a fight to the death over the leftovers and I lost!

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ( North OKC)

Quote Originally Posted by jennydahl View Post
    We went today... got there about 10 minutes before 11 and the 'Jo' side of Jo-Bawb's greeted us. We needed a few minutes to decide which direction we wanted to go - but the smell in the air made our eyes roll back in our heads and we ended up spending $48! I don't regret it for an instant! We got 1/2 pound each of chicken wings (only available on Wednesdays), brisket, burnt ends, and pulled pork - no sides. It was so windy we had decided we were going to take it home - and I'm glad we did. I would not want anyone to witness the spectacle we made of ourselves. I have never had burnt ends - but I'm here to tell you, if burnt ends were all that was left to this world of barbecue in the next millennia, I could still be a very happy woman. They came already wearing a nice coat of sauce, but the rest of the meat was naked - and as much as I love BBQ sauce, it was superfluous. Didn't even use it and it definitely didn't need it. And that $48 provided enough meat for both of us to eat hearty lunches. Then we had hearty dinners. And there's still enough for one of us to have a hearty lunch tomorrow. If y'all never see me again, you'll know there was a fight to the death over the leftovers and I lost!

Default Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ

Insider.com just named Jo Bawb's as the best BBQ in the state.

https://www.insider.com/best-barbecu...ery-state-yelp

It looks legit, great reviews. We are going to check it out soon, tried calling pick-up yesterday about 3:00 and the guy I talked to said they sold out of everything by 2:15 which is a good sign. The burnt ends and brisket look great.

14. Default Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanite View Post
    Insider.com just named Jo Bawb's as the best BBQ in the state.
    Best in the state based on Yelp reviews.

15. Default Re: Jo-Bawb's BBQ

I went there today. Got there at 11:00 and no line. The weather was pretty crappy so that probably kept the crowd down. I haven't seen it mentioned, but they do have indoor seating. I had a brisket sandwich and ribs. Both were outstanding. I will say that their sauce is a little sweet and they only have one kind. I'm OK with sweet, but it's not my favorite. All in all though it was a very good lunch.

I picked up from there yesterday after missing out a couple weeks ago. Called about 3:30 and they had a 1/2 pound of brisket and 1/2 pound of burnt ends left as well as some ribs. Perfect, as I was wanting both burnt ends and brisket. Ended up getting all 3 but didn't try any sides. Everything was excellent, this will probably be our go-to now since we are only about 15-20 minutes from here. It sounds like they sell out pretty early on the weekends though.

Thread Information