Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,687
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Not enough state political controversy posted. Here is some:
    https://www.soonerpolitics.org/edito...pQ5zm3iHrnUD2M

  2. Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    I think #1 and #2 are valid points, but not sure about #3. Isn't Epic a horrible place anyway, with serious problems with their curriculum, graduation rates, etc. (going by what I've read on oklahomawatch and nondoc)? If someone says horrible things about a person/business entity and they're true, can it be defamation?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I think #1 and #2 are valid points, but not sure about #3. Isn't Epic a horrible place anyway, with serious problems with their curriculum, graduation rates, etc. (going by what I've read on oklahomawatch and nondoc)? If someone says horrible things about a person/business entity and they're true, can it be defamation?
    I'm gonna have to look into this Epic thing. I know several people that go have their kids in it and they have nothing but positive things to say about the experience. So my perception was always that it was the big wigs at the top mucking around in the finances that was the problem, not necessarily the model of education delivery.

    I could be mislead, but that's just the perception I had of the organization.

  4. Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'm gonna have to look into this Epic thing. I know several people that go have their kids in it and they have nothing but positive things to say about the experience. So my perception was always that it was the big wigs at the top mucking around in the finances that was the problem, not necessarily the model of education delivery.

    I could be mislead, but that's just the perception I had of the organization.
    Here's a start:

    https://oklahomawatch.org/series/virtual-schools/

    https://okpolicy.org/virtual-charter...ls-could-help/

    There's also a Lost Ogle article or two about them, not sure how much actual news/facts they have in them though.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I think #1 and #2 are valid points, but not sure about #3. Isn't Epic a horrible place anyway, with serious problems with their curriculum, graduation rates, etc. (going by what I've read on oklahomawatch and nondoc)? If someone says horrible things about a person/business entity and they're true, can it be defamation?
    Epic has been trying to put pressure on state legislators who have been critical. State Senator Ron Sharp is likely the target of this action. He has been very critical of Epic and has openly accused them of not complying with reporting rules, falsely inflating their enrollment figures, and costing our education system millions of dollars.

    Epic has sent Sen. Sharp a cease and desist letter, so I guess they intend on going forward with a defamation case at some point (or they don't because truth is a defense and those things being truthful and proved in court would be problematic for Epic [if that's what happens]). And I don't know what's actually criminal about count number three. It looks to me that the Newkirk mayor is a big fan of Epic and is carrying water for them for whatever reason.

    And it's all backed by Al Gerhart, who considers himself to be quite the power broker in the legislature (really though, he only has the ear of legislators like Nathan Dahm). The real power at the State Capital consider Gerhart to be a joke. Likely that this whole thing is a joke. Looks like Al is setting up some sort of Grand Jury petition tool he's going to use to go after his enemies.

    And yeah, Al's going hard against Sen. Sharp. Even ran a story on Soonerpolitics the other day talking about how the Senator's doctorate was from essentially a diploma mill. That's how he rolls though. He likes to drag folks into the mud, but at the end of the day, he has some appeal with extreme right wingers, and that's about it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    I don't know enough about the subject to contribute anything on that, but can I take a moment to complain about the font choice on that site? Shudder. No kerning, hard on the eyes. At least it's not comic sans.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    And yeah, Al's going hard against Sen. Sharp. Even ran a story on Soonerpolitics the other day talking about how the Senator's doctorate was from essentially a diploma mill. That's how he rolls though. He likes to drag folks into the mud, but at the end of the day, he has some appeal with extreme right wingers, and that's about it.
    Wait! Despite the messenger, and I agree with you about him, is that really true about Sharp? Did he get his “doctorate” from a diploma mill?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Wait! Despite the messenger, and I agree with you about him, is that really true about Sharp? Did he get his “doctorate” from a diploma mill?
    Kensington, I believe. Funny thing is, in Texas you can actually be fined or go to jail for using a degree from Kensington University for a job, or in the practice of your trade or occupation.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Kensington, I believe. Funny thing is, in Texas you can actually be fined or go to jail for using a degree from Kensington University for a job, or in the practice of your trade or occupation.
    Not in politics I bet. Haha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Wait! Despite the messenger, and I agree with you about him, is that really true about Sharp? Did he get his “doctorate” from a diploma mill?
    Yes.

    And that said, which is the greater crime--getting a degree from an institution with a less-than-stellar curriculum or being the state which accepts that degree as proof you can do a job?

    There's been a long-standing need for regulation and accreditation of for-profit colleges. We were headed in a good direction until Devos took over.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Yes.

    And that said, which is the greater crime--getting a degree from an institution with a less-than-stellar curriculum or being the state which accepts that degree as proof you can do a job?

    There's been a long-standing need for regulation and accreditation of for-profit colleges. We were headed in a good direction until Devos took over.
    From what I just read though, Kensington was not a for-profit university in any true sense in its first iteration, but an actual diploma mill, run from a guy's house just selling diplomas. I agree with you 100%. There has just GOT to be more regulation of these for-profit universities and their student loan scams.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Newkirk Mayor Calls For Citizen Grand Jury Investigating State Officials

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    From what I just read though, Kensington was not a for-profit university in any true sense in its first iteration, but an actual diploma mill, run from a guy's house just selling diplomas. I agree with you 100%. There has just GOT to be more regulation of these for-profit universities and their student loan scams.
    All I know about it is what I learned from Wikipedia.

    That said, at the time he got his degree, the Senator stated that he did complete some coursework. That said, knowing what I'm sure he knows now, actually claiming a PhD, as he does, seems a bit scandalous.

    https://www.news-star.com/article/20...NEWS/301049981

    That said, he's a former teacher, so as long as he votes for education and educators, I don't care what diploma mill he sent a $25 check to.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ferguson grand jury decision not expected before Monday
    By Prunepicker in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-23-2014, 09:28 PM
  2. Another police shooting goes to the Grand Jury
    By kelroy55 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-25-2014, 02:19 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
  4. Grand jury clears Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater
    By BBatesokc in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO