Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy Donkey (formerly Jose's Authentic)

1. Default Lazy Donkey (formerly Jose's Authentic)

Noticed this new place had opened in the old Peacock Restaurant at 517 W. Reno.

Looks like they are serving breakfast, don't know if it's American breakfast or Mexican, and unlike most of the taquerias that serve breakfast they open at 7:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM or after.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo....5219742?hl=en

Default Re: Jose's Authentic Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Noticed this new place had opened in the old Peacock Restaurant at 517 W. Reno.

Looks like they are serving breakfast, don't know if it's American breakfast or Mexican, and unlike most of the taquerias that serve breakfast they open at 7:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM or after.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jo....5219742?hl=en
    Exciting. This is a block from me. Can't wait to try it. One review on line. Short review but very positive. Couldn't find a website.

from their yelp page, they have pictures of croissant breakfast sandwiches (similar to what you'd find at a doughnut shop) and strawberry pancakes... so there are some american items on their breakfast menu... no telling if they have mexican breakfast items not pictured. https://www.yelp.com/biz/jose-s-mexi...-oklahoma-city

the one time i went to peacock and had a gyro, it was baaaad... the gyro meat had the consistency of cheap lunch meat and was sliced nearly as thin. i typically order extra meat whenever i get a gyro, but i couldn't even finish that one.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    the one time i went to peacock and had a gyro, it was baaaad... the gyro meat had the consistency of cheap lunch meat and was sliced nearly as thin. i typically order extra meat whenever i get a gyro, but i couldn't even finish that one.
    This is very similar to my one experience at Peacock.

5. Default Re: Jose's Authentic Mexican

I think the draw to Peacock and part of why it lasted so long was it was inexpensive.... If I remember correctly they had a $2.99 breakfast that was bacon, eggs, and toast.

Hours 7A to 10P(!) 7 days(!) a week.

7. Default Re: Jose's Authentic Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Exciting. This is a block from me. Can't wait to try it. One review on line. Short review but very positive. Couldn't find a website.
    Yeah... A little further than a block but easy walking distance for me as well... About the same distance as Revolucion for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hours 7A to 10P(!) 7 days(!) a week.
    The Google page says 7-days, but the Yelp page differs, so might need to validate that.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    The Google page says 7-days, but the Yelp page differs, so might need to validate that.
    And if they have a Facebook page, it's probably different from Google and Yelp, lots of places are inconsistent about their hours across all the platforms.

Blog Entries

agree, just saying validate they're open before you leave the house

The hours I mentioned are directly from a post they made on their Facebook page:

We will be open October 7 at 7am, we will be open for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner 7 day a week

Blog Entries

Ah cool

Thanks to JeepOKC for the menus:

Went this afternoon and already a big fan.

The space is big and they've done a very good job of making it colorful and welcoming. The people working there could not have been more friendly and helpful.

The setup is your typical chips, salsa and queso but all was a cut above your average Okie-Mex place. The chips were darker than most and smaller and slightly thick. Queso is usually pretty unremarkable but I really enjoyed the taste and consistency of theirs. And the house salsa was fresh, tasty and with a little kick of spice.

I had seen they make a few different types of salsa for purchase but was told they would not have them at the restaurant to buy until next week (some are already on sale at Crest). However, they brought me a small dish of the mango habanero and it was fantastic. Sweet but quite spicy, especially on the back end. They have another spicy salsa but I didn't try it but will buy both it and the mango version when they stock them.

For the entre I ordered the #12, chicken enchiladas in green sauce. Fantastic. The salsa verde was flavorful and bright and yes, a bit spicy. The chicken filling wasn't that sit-in-a-pot-all-day stewy kind of meat you find too often at this sort of place. It was in chucks and fresh. The tortillas were somewhat coarse but in a good way. Serving was 4 enchiladas which is more than I needed but they were so good I ate every bite.

It came with a side of rice and a small salad. Would have preferred beans to what was essentially a salad garnish but the rice was light and fluffy if a bit plain.

I failed to ask about beer or liquor but I assume that is coming.

Tons of free parking all around and easy to get to. I sure hope they find a following because they are incredibly nice and I would rank this at the top of the Mexican food I've had in OKC.

We did take out today and the complete opposite opinion. I was eating light and only had a asada taco. It was dry and overcooked. The salsa was watery. The burger my brother had was burnt. The other two people in my office did not like their entrees (torta and carnita taco) either.

Based on Pete's experience, we will go back in and eat there and see if we have a different food experience.

The interior is a very nice version of a classic Mexican restaurant in Oklahoma. The service was exceedingly nice and overly attentive if lacking in knowledge of their offerings. I ordered Mexican Pork Loin (lomo de la Mexican by their spelling). See what i was served below. Aside from the Thunder Blue rice (arroz azul???) and the Ore-Ida crinkle cuts, the loin was quick braised??? in the veggie mixture for a really short time that failed to render the fat. It was white and waxy inside and the meat was pretty tough like it was cooked over high heat for too little time for that particular cut. I might return for breakfast or desserts, but there are far, far too many other better choices for diner in the Metro.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43AA7016-FBF7-459F-BFE5-2C6D4B809620.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	341.1 KB 
ID:	15668

Almost all 5-star reviews on Yelp:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/jose-s-mexi...-oklahoma-city

18. Default Re: Jose's Authentic Mexican

They are no longer serving breakfast but that's probably not a bad decision.

Yeah, their hours were far too ambitious.

Hopefully word is getting out and helping their business for lunch and dinner.

Blog Entries

I was the only person in there on a Tuesday night, but that's been a few weeks ago now....

It appears that Joses has closed or is changing directions as there are two signs up announcing the Lazy Donkey is coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    It appears that Joses has closed or is changing directions as there are two signs up announcing the Lazy Donkey is coming soon.
    I assume this will be affiliated with the Lazy Donkey in Moore.

Jose's had received generally rave reviews on Yelp. Hopefully their operators will still be involved.

From Jose's FB page:

We accepted an offer to buy the business and therefore we are closed. Thanks for your business. We will be providing our menu via delivery and mobile food trucks in the spring. Again, thanks for your business and Happy Holidays!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I assume this will be affiliated with the Lazy Donkey in Moore.

Jose's had received generally rave reviews on Yelp. Hopefully their operators will still be involved.

Admittedly, I did not try this place, however, the 2 Lazy Donkey restaurants in Moore are phenomenal. They are both utterly fantastic. So, for me, chalk this up to a great move for all of those involved. If you haven't had Lazy Donkey before, its great.

Just looked up Lazy Donkey, and I have a few questions about why they have two restaurants in Moore located literally a mile apart on NW 12th on either side of the highway lol

Thread Information