Widgets Magazine

Thread: NE Youth Center

Northeast OKC NE Youth Center

Youth center planned for NE OKC

City council will vote tomorrow to authorize the finalization for plans for a large youth recreation center in northeast Oklahoma City.

The project would be the first modern multi-purpose recreation center for the Parks and Recreation Department in over 40 years.

The 33,700 square foot building would be built near Douglass High School and feature two large gyms, an indoor pool, fitness equipment, social and learning areas, locker rooms and a child watch center.

If the item is approved, the design by Frankfurt Short Bruza would be finalized next spring with construction starting in the summer.

The cost is budgeted at $13.5 million and the targeted completion date is summer 2020.

The new center would replace an adjacent facility built over 75 years ago.

As a part of MAPS4, the December ballot will include $110 million in funding for at least four more similar youth centers to be constructed throughout the city.

Default Re: NE Youth Center

Thanks for the renderings Pete of this center, let's hope they stay on pace to complete the youth centers with the approval of MAPS 4.

The city usually does (one for each quadrant of the city) when it comes to this type of services. A fifth center seems odd.

This is small, but I'm glad they are doing something. When i look at the renderings I already feel cramped. I dont like it, seems subpar in almost every way.

5. Default Re: NE Youth Center

Quote Originally Posted by DallasOkie086 View Post
    This is small, but I'm glad they are doing something. When i look at the renderings I already feel cramped. I dont like it, seems subpar in almost every way.
    How large are the other centers? This is almost 34,000 sq feet so how is it in comparison with the others?

6. Default Re: NE Youth Center

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The city usually does (one for each quadrant of the city) when it comes to this type of services. A fifth center seems odd.
    I believe this makes way for the current Henrietta Foster Community Center on NE 4th to be closed and renovated into a "Center for Minority Small Business Development and Entrepreneurship" as a part of MAPS 4

More than the size, although that is what i alluded to, i'm just not a fan of the overall layout and the way the space if used. I think they will open short of storage space. Also, i get the need for some fun attractions in the pool/water area, but why not provided the minimum lanes necessary for youth competitive swimming? Again, I'm glad they are doing this, but it looks like the bare minimum.

I tend to agree with DallasOkie...it just doesn't look right...at least from the renderings

9. Default Re: NE Youth Center

and top it all off; little if any sidewalks, lighting, bike lanes, or apparent transit connectivity from the beginning. but there sure is a parking lot with sparse landscaping.

uggh...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    How large are the other centers? This is almost 34,000 sq feet so how is it in comparison with the others?
    The rec centers here in S Denver Metro sre running in the 55,000 sf range.

I’m not understanding the hate on this. Isn’t it the first center of its kind? Why should this center construction include the addition of bike lanes? Sidewalks already exist in this area. The pool looks great and fun for children. Bigger pools are always better obviously. Weird this is being hated on.

12. Default Re: NE Youth Center

I do't hate it but I find it odd that it doesn't appear to have an activity room for private classes or activities. (yoga, zoomba, karate, etc) The activity area is shown as the long hallway lounge that is basically a really wide hallway. Also, the locker rooms seem to take up a lot of space and divide the building.

I think this is my biggest concern too. In Dallas they run around 50,000 sqft.

Some cities choose to separate the water works area but the total us usually bigger with room to grow.

Thread Information