Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Paying college athletes

    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ncaa-protests/

    This just passed in California. Similar bills are in play in NY, SC, and FL. Do we think OK would pass something like this? I can only assume Clemson is behind SC considering a bill like this. NY and FL, I can see.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    I think it will certainly cause some problems for less funded schools but I'm all for it. I support it mainly for the Olympic sports (not that they will actually see any money). The rest of the world gets paid to train, why not our kids?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    This will almost certainly cause the NCAA to compromise in some way and then apply the new rules uniformly across all states/schools.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This will almost certainly cause the NCAA to compromise in some way and then apply the new rules uniformly across all states/schools.
    I certainly hope so, because OU and OSU would be left in the dust if not.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I certainly hope so, because OU and OSU would be left in the dust if not.
    Priorities

  6. #6

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    University of Oklahoma -- Sacramento Campus

  7. #7

    NCAA Re: Paying college athletes

    Paying college athletes has been on the table for decades. Where you really get into a dilemma is addressing the question of men & women athletes. You can't leave women athletes out because of Title IX.

    We all know that football funds & underwrites many of the various university programs in the athletic programs budget; therefore the compromise with how Title IX is woven into the fracas will require a hurdle far beyond a stiff arm.

    An annual appreciation stipend to athletes may be more doable.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    I think it will certainly cause some problems for less funded schools but I'm all for it. I support it mainly for the Olympic sports (not that they will actually see any money). The rest of the world gets paid to train, why not our kids?
    The monies will come from advertisers, agents, and entities other than the school or conference.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    I think it will certainly cause some problems for less funded schools but I'm all for it. I support it mainly for the Olympic sports (not that they will actually see any money). The rest of the world gets paid to train, why not our kids?
    This isnt about schools paying student athletes. Its about allowing student athletes to hire an agent and enter into sponsorship agreements with outside parties.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The monies will come from advertisers, agents, and entities other than the school or conference.
    exactly... the California law just allows them to make money off their likeness and name. one of the crazy things that brought this on was UCLA Gymnast Katelyn Ohashi was told by the NCAA that she couldn't publish a book of poetry, because her name recognition came from the NCAA, and therefore she could not profit off of that... which is just dumb. other examples were a student on a swimming scholarship that had their scholarship revoked because in their spare time, they were paid to teach a class that taught children how to swim... these are the things this is about... the NCAA being just dumb in what is a violation and how kids can make money... this will allow them to be able to use their skills and their likeness and their name

  11. #11

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    There's no panacea to address all the concerns that simmer around paying college athletes.

    Do they deserve to get paid. You bet they do, when you consider all the training & sacrifices involved--the universities are dependent on them. They deserve some kind of compensation...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    There's no panacea to address all the concerns that simmer around paying college athletes.

    Do they deserve to get paid. You bet they do, when you consider all the training & sacrifices involved--the universities are dependent on them. They deserve some kind of compensation...
    heck... and if they don't, then they deserve to atleast get that education... Nebraska a few years ago had to self report a NCAA violation because a tennis player who was a math major, used is scholarship money to buy a graphing calculator that was required for class, but technically scholarship money only covers a basic calculator... and thus was a violation... and there goes the NCAA argument that they care about the student part of the student-athlete..

  13. #13

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    It's a tough subject. I think the California bill only allows for private endorsements from outside bodies--not for putting college athletes on the State's payroll. I don't think there'd be any problem with Title IX as private parties get to choose which student athletes they want to endorse.

    OU will be well-positioned if this ever comes to pass as OU is a Jordan school, which is, I hear, the more sought after brand by the young'ns, so OU would be battling for recruits with Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    This isnt about schools paying student athletes. Its about allowing student athletes to hire an agent and enter into sponsorship agreements with outside parties.
    Bingo. The California law has nothing do with schools paying players. It's just allowing them to make money off their own likeness. The fact this law has ever existed is so exploitative, but that's pretty much the NCAA for you. I hope all states pass this same law. It's the right thing to do.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    It's a tough subject. I think the California bill only allows for private endorsements from outside bodies--not for putting college athletes on the State's payroll. I don't think there'd be any problem with Title IX as private parties get to choose which student athletes they want to endorse.

    OU will be well-positioned if this ever comes to pass as OU is a Jordan school, which is, I hear, the more sought after brand by the young'ns, so OU would be battling for recruits with Michigan, North Carolina, and Florida.
    What is a Jordan school?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    What is a Jordan school?
    Jordan Brand provides all the jerseys and sports attire for OU (athletes and to sell in the bookstore, campus corner, etc).

  17. #17

    Default Re: Paying college athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    What is a Jordan school?
    It is an elite department within Nike developed for the great Michael Jordan, which is best identified by the “Jumpman” logo. The Nike Schools get the Nike logo, whereas the Jordan schools get Jumpman.

    This is a key advantage for OU as the young influencers are obsessed with the Logo, line up for hours to buy Jordans, etc.

    If a top recruit is faced with the option of (a) accept $100k to attend a Nike school or (b) accept $100k to attend a Jordan school, she will attend the Jordan school almost every time. The Logo is that important to these kids.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rose State College or Oklahoma City Community College
    By Tylerwilliams16 in forum Midwest City/Del City
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-11-2014, 08:20 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 10:24 PM
  3. Come watch Oympic athletes compete in triathlon this weekend
    By Pete in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM
  4. Athletes are Heroes.
    By Keith in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 10:06 PM
  5. Paying for college
    By Jack in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO