Widgets Magazine

Thread: Paying college athletes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Paying college athletes

While I'm not a fan of either of the senators involved, I do like this proposed regulation. It would bring some degree of order into the chaos that now exists in college sports.

https://apnews.com/article/nil-ncaa-...a2590ab06acab0

"The Protecting Athletes, Schools, and Sports Act would establish a regulator to oversee agents and collectives, the booster-funded organizations that provide many NIL deals to college athletes. It would also establish a uniform NIL contract for athletes, create a public website to publish NIL data without revealing names of athletes and require contracts to be disclosed within 30 days.

The bill would make it illegal for states to pass laws that permit college athletes to share revenue with schools and conference that generate billions from sports such as major college football and basketball.

ASS would require schools to fund some long-term health care for their athletes. It also would regulate transfer rules, requiring athletes to complete three years of academic eligibility before being able to switch schools and immediately compete."

2. Default Re: Paying college athletes

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    While I'm not a fan of either of the senators involved, I do like this proposed regulation. It would bring some degree of order into the chaos that now exists in college sports.

https://apnews.com/article/nil-ncaa-...a2590ab06acab0

"The Protecting Athletes, Schools, and Sports Act would establish a regulator to oversee agents and collectives, the booster-funded organizations that provide many NIL deals to college athletes. It would also establish a uniform NIL contract for athletes, create a public website to publish NIL data without revealing names of athletes and require contracts to be disclosed within 30 days.

The bill would make it illegal for states to pass laws that permit college athletes to share revenue with schools and conference that generate billions from sports such as major college football and basketball.

ASS would require schools to fund some long-term health care for their athletes. It also would regulate transfer rules, requiring athletes to complete three years of academic eligibility before being able to switch schools and immediately compete."
    I like it all except the transfer rules. If coaches can leave whenever so should athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I like it all except the transfer rules. If coaches can leave whenever so should athletes.
    Agreed on all of this. Heck, Tuberville himself bolted from Texas Tech after only two years, pretty hypocritical of him to shut that door to uncompensated students.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy;
    Agreed on all of this. Heck, Tuberville himself bolted from Texas Tech after only two years, pretty hypocritical of him to shut that door to uncompensated students.
    Excuse me! Uncompensated?
    Since when is a free college education not compensation?
    But then I have to remind myself, that especially in an age of big NIL deals and the Transfer Portal (free agency), it’s silly to really call these players “student athletes.” I know that’s not a popular thing to say in Oklahoma, but there’s more and more people willing to admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    Excuse me! Uncompensated?
    Since when is a free college education not compensation?
    But then I have to remind myself, that especially in an age of big NIL deals and the Transfer Portal (free agency), it’s silly to really call these players “student athletes.” I know that’s not a popular thing to say in Oklahoma, but there’s more and more people willing to admit it.
    it was silly before. and it was always dumb that they couldn't market themselves because of some arbitrary rules, especially when it wasn't related to the sport at all. i went to school on an academic scholarship, and there was no one complaining that i while a student used my skills to earn money while in college. the example i always love to bring up was when Katelyn Ohashi (a UCLA Gymnast) wasn't allowed to publish a book of poetry while she was still in college under scholarship. if you are just saying the only thing a student athlete can earn while under scholarship is their scholarship, then you are saying they are able to sign away the entirety of their identity to a university. i'm sorry that but is completely ridiculous. now is the age of NIL as it currently is completely on the opposite side of the spectrum, yes, it is and will be for awhile, but it will correct itself to a healthier medium in the near future. but the old way was way worse than what we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    it was silly before. and it was always dumb that they couldn't market themselves because of some arbitrary rules, especially when it wasn't related to the sport at all. i went to school on an academic scholarship, and there was no one complaining that i while a student used my skills to earn money while in college. the example i always love to bring up was when Katelyn Ohashi (a UCLA Gymnast) wasn't allowed to publish a book of poetry while she was still in college under scholarship. if you are just saying the only thing a student athlete can earn while under scholarship is their scholarship, then you are saying they are able to sign away the entirety of their identity to a university. i'm sorry that but is completely ridiculous. now is the age of NIL as it currently is completely on the opposite side of the spectrum, yes, it is and will be for awhile, but it will correct itself to a healthier medium in the near future. but the old way was way worse than what we have now.
    Yeah I agree completely. It was really stupid that an athlete could get hit with an NCAA violation and have to miss games or even be kicked off a team because someone paid them to sign autographs, they sold their own jersey online, or probably a more likely scenario for women than men…got a modeling contract (see Livvy Dunne at LSU who’s raking it in and couldn’t have done so until NIL was allowed).

Though on the other hand, I also think it’s extremely ridiculous that Joe 5 star can get several million dollars in NIL deals for nothing other than signing with a school and without any proof that he can actually play at the college level. Also don’t think any athletes should be entitled to NIL money they received as a result of signing with a school if they transfer but I suppose that’s between the donor/sponsor and the athletes. I think the NIL stuff has been a great step in the right direction but it truly is the Wild West right now. We’d all be foolish to believe athletes at major schools and in major sports haven’t been getting paid by boosters for years (I know for a fact OU had several football players that were while I was there…other than the ones that got caught at big red sports and imports) but now that it’s out in the open, competition has made the sums of money go wild. That said, while I feel some better regulatory framework should be put in place to protect both the athletes and sponsors/donors, I think the free market will work itself out on this one eventually. If enough mega donors throw out massive bags to guys that fail to perform and in some cases never set foot on the field/court…I think you’ll see some of this stuff aimed at recruits dailed back in lieu of smaller deals up front with bonuses for performance (ie. Less money freshman year, more money down the road as part of that deal or maybe a new deal every year or something to that effect)

Also think it’s ridiculous that they can have similar consequences from the NCAA for being caught using marijuana in states where it’s legal or if they have a license in states where medical is legal (now the schools themselves can make and impose whatever rules they want…just don’t think the NCAA should have a hand in regulating legal activity at the state level). But that’s another story lol.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    That is not a comparable situation. Coaches are under contract and there are substantial monetary consequences when they leave. Athletes just say goodbye and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    That is not a comparable situation. Coaches are under contract and there are substantial monetary consequences when they leave. Athletes just say goodbye and that's it.
    That’s probably changed a bit with NIL. I’ve heard of guys getting 2-year deals.

Thread Information