Widgets Magazine

Thread: Name of Cemetery

Default Name of Cemetery

Hey All...

I pass by this little cemetery quite often and wondered the name of it? Is it an old family cemetery? With all the development going on in the area will it be purchased and the graves relocated?

Corner of NW 150th and N May Ave: At the intersection go West a little ways and it's on the South side of the road....basically several yards behind OnCue.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/NW...!4d-97.5671488

Default Re: Name of Cemetery

according to this, it's called hediger cemetery...

https://ohcegenealogy.com/cemeteries-Hediger.html

I drive by there often. It was over grown and unkempt, but over the last couple years an effort has been made to mow, trim and pretty things up. They even put a stockade fence up around it. It's been there for years, back before 150th & May was a two lane intersection with stop signs and surrounded by nothing but pastures. The new development is right up next to it on the west side.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I drive by there often. It was over grown and unkempt, but over the last couple years an effort has been made to mow, trim and pretty things up. They even put a stockade fence up around it. It's been there for years, back before 150th & May was a two lane intersection with stop signs and surrounded by nothing but pastures. The new development is right up next to it on the west side.
    Just a few years ago, there was a pretty heated legal battle over this cemetery. I don't know the exact details, but I believe the basic gist was that developers were trying to remove/relocate the cemetery, and build on the land. Once owned by a church, it is now privately owned by a handful of families. The families fought back, and won...with the caveat that they needed to invest in the property, build new bordering fences, and clean up the overall appearance of the lot, to appease the property owners wanting to develop the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    Just a few years ago, there was a pretty heated legal battle over this cemetery. I don't know the exact details, but I believe the basic gist was that developers were trying to remove/relocate the cemetery, and build on the land. Once owned by a church, it is now privately owned by a handful of families. The families fought back, and won...with the caveat that they needed to invest in the property, build new bordering fences, and clean up the overall appearance of the lot, to appease the property owners wanting to develop the land.
    i've seen how that plays out. that outcome is probably for the best...

Thread Information