Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

1. Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    Remember Brown Furniture Company? Jack Brown's delivery was so deadpan it bordered on creepy:

"Brown Furniture Company .... in Shawneee ... where we have what you're looking for."
    LOL, I always thought that those commercials were like having Eeyore as a spokesperson.

Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    And often cited as one of the poor choices by Heisman voters, The runner-up, Eli Manning has been playing in the HFL how many years now? Jason, is now known for Air Comfort Solutions billboards and commercials. Good player, but not bright enough for the NFL and certainly nowhere near the player Eli has been. (Until yesterday anyway!) Jason was great that year though - I know.
    Since when is the Heisman about who is going to have the better pro career? It's about who had the best season the year it's awarded, and that's it.

2003 season:

Jason White: 278/451 Comp/Att - 61.6 Comp % - 3,846 yards - 40 TD - 10 INT - 158.1 Passer Rating
    Eli Manning: 275/441 Comp/Att - 62.4 Comp % - 3,600 yards - 29 TD - 10 INT - 148.1 Passer Rating

Jason went undefeated in the regular season (lost 2 post-season games)
    Eli lost 3 games in the regular season.

I fail to understand your reasoning for thinking Eli should have won based on what they both did in 2003 season.

How about Terrell's Siding and Roofing? Be safe and god bless

Quote Originally Posted by mattyiceokc View Post
    Since when is the Heisman about who is going to have the better pro career? It's about who had the best season the year it's awarded, and that's it.

2003 season:

Jason White: 278/451 Comp/Att - 61.6 Comp % - 3,846 yards - 40 TD - 10 INT - 158.1 Passer Rating
    Eli Manning: 275/441 Comp/Att - 62.4 Comp % - 3,600 yards - 29 TD - 10 INT - 148.1 Passer Rating

Jason went undefeated in the regular season (lost 2 post-season games)
    Eli lost 3 games in the regular season.

I fail to understand your reasoning for thinking Eli should have won based on what they both did in 2003 season.
    Mea culpa! Mea culpa!
    This is supposed to be a fun, lighthearted thread. Taking football that seriously is silly. (IMO) but you are right! Jason White had a great season - I know that - and said so in the thread.

I have heard and read that those NFL tests for intelligence and ability to run complex schemes, etc. ... that he was one of the lowest ever rated. Whatever. But, yes, he had a great year his Heisman year. Was he the best player in the country that year? Heisman voters like QB stats, so I guess that means he was. . And a great many years selling Air Comfort Solutions. All good things to Jason White.

The Johnny Ross windmill arms are a thing of beauty. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t grow up in OKC, so was not familiar with the old time commercials.

8. Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    that's johnny ross, mentioned upthread.

Thanks! I never knew his name. He did commercials in Dallas when l lived there. He hasn't made it to Denver yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Edmond Hyundai Edmond Hyundai Edmond Hyundai!
    I had blissfully forgotten those commercials until you posted this. I now simultaneously hate you for reminding me of them, and 100% agree with you, lol. Those were terrible commercials that would make me mute sound immediately when they came on. Those and the Hudiberg Elves spots on the radio. *shudder*

10. Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I had blissfully forgotten those commercials until you posted this. I now simultaneously hate you for reminding me of them, and 100% agree with you, lol. Those were terrible commercials that would make me mute sound immediately when they came on. Those and the Hudiberg Elves spots on the radio. *shudder*
    Ha,yes, sorry. The singing elves get the mute button too. Also the auto dealer in Norman with the bouncing ball jingle? Now that's in my head. LOL

Can't believe no one has mentioned Edmond Hyundai.

12. Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Edmond Hyundai.
    See Comment #17

The Hahn Appliance Store girl, sashaying (to strut or flounce in a showy manner) through the store, was just...too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharona21 View Post
    The Hahn Appliance Store girl, sashaying (to strut or flounce in a showy manner) through the store, was just...too much.
    she is fire, though, i would say.

The ones I don’t like, in no particular order:

1) Mathis Brothers — Rit just seems like a giant douche
    2) Battison — I don’t trust any man who wears an Hermés belt buckle

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    she is fire, though, i would say.

The ones I don’t like, in no particular order:

1) Mathis Brothers — Rit just seems like a giant douche
    2) Battison — I don’t trust any man who wears an Hermés belt buckle
    Being a man, I would expect that. I think you meant fine, not fire, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    1-800 2 sell homes.

especially ones where she says that phrase.. and puts up 2 fingers.. but misses the que for "2"
    And that's no bull.

I think the worst was the one that tried to co-opt, commercialize and capitalize on the tragedy of an apartment fire using the survivor with the hook line, "I ain't got time for all that." The runner up is anything with the name Terrell in it.

18. Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

On radio, it's the never ending Diamonds Direct. I'm so tired of those.

^
    for some reason that reminded me of the credit jewelry tv ads from around 20 years ago with the cowboy... those were pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    ^
    for some reason that reminded me of the credit jewelry tv ads from around 20 years ago with the cowboy... those were pretty bad.
    "If your credit looks like you rode with Frank and Jesse James..."

21. Default Re: OKC’s Worst TV Commercials

^ Those were before my time living here.
    Funny thing is, as much as we don't like these commercials, they do stick in our mind, albeit for the wrong reason.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    ^ Those were before my time living here.
    Funny thing is, as much as we don't like these commercials, they do stick in our mind, albeit for the wrong reason.
    Seriously, don't click this link. You're gong to hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I think the worst was the one that tried to co-opt, commercialize and capitalize on the tragedy of an apartment fire using the survivor with the hook line, "I ain't got time for all that." The runner up is anything with the name Terrell in it.
    Sweet Brown's "Ain't nobody got time for that" line got *super* popular online after the apartment fire and subsequent news story on KFOR, because of her unusual and engaging delivery of her story. Once it became a viral sensation online, she attempted to parlay that meme into income, to moderate success... she's done commercials for a few different companies with some variations on her catch phrase. Since nobody died or was injured in the fire, I never saw a problem with it... though the line did get old after a while.

Funny, since we all seem to know the "Worst" commercial chapter & verse...

What is the "Best" commercial in Oklahoma City?

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Funny, since we all seem to know the "Worst" commercial chapter & verse...

What is the "Best" commercial in Oklahoma City?
    That's easy. It has to do with selling jewelry at Christmastime.

Thread Information