Widgets Magazine

Thread: Quiet Car Default Sound

1. Lightbulb Quiet Car Default Sound

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...us-regulation/
    Looks like the NHTSA is asking for ideas/suggestions for what sound(s) a quiet car should emit a low speeds (for safety). I've seen a few interesting ideas. Lets hear some of yours.

K.I.T.T.
    https://youtu.be/VNtlGfHCrEs?t=9

Default Re: Quiet Car Default Sound

Chevy Chase's "Na-na-na-na-na" putting sound from Caddyshack.

3. Default Re: Quiet Car Default Sound

^^^^^^^^

I've heard that the Jetson's car sound is a popular choice as well.

4. Default Re: Quiet Car Default Sound

Coconuts from Monty Python.....

5. Default Re: Quiet Car Default Sound

Maybe they just need to make it user-selectable, like a phone's ringer. Someday we might have all sorts of noises swooshing by all day long.

I know what Bubb Rubb would want:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUXow3d3-b0

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

I've heard that the Jetson's car sound is a popular choice as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

I vote for this.

8. Default Re: Quiet Car Default Sound

I think the theme song from JAWS would do nicely..... The pace should match the car's speed. This way you'd have an audio cue as when they are suddenly accelerating to hit you!

My cycling buddies & I ride 100+ miles per week on the roads. Our ears are attuned to hear the low frequency from car tires & wind noise coming from behind us. Something like that would be safest for us, especially since we don’t ever see the threat coming from behind us.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    My cycling buddies & I ride 100+ miles per week on the roads. Our ears are attuned to hear the low frequency from car tires & wind noise coming from behind us. Something like that would be safest for us, especially since we don’t ever see the threat coming from behind us.
    the car tires and wind noise are not any less on an electric car ..

All joking aside, this is a tough question. I agree with the need, but I know plenty of folks who went all electric, partially because of the quiet. Any artificial noise, since it will need to be something repeatable, will either be some constant sound, or a looping noise... while car engines are noisy, the noise and pattern is varying and changing, so it's less distracting or annoying. I can't see how some artificial sound isn't up there with the turn signal left on or the seat belt warning beeping non stop, unless they can do this in a way where the noise isn't audible inside the vehicle. Otherwise, ideally there should be some randomness and some variety to the noise (maybe altered based on speed, etc),

Above certain speeds cars generate noise from tires & wind. Lower speeds are typically in more congested environments with pedestrians present. Why not a sound similar to what combustion engine cars emit?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    Above certain speeds cars generate noise from tires & wind. Lower speeds are typically in more congested environments with pedestrians present. Why not a sound similar to what combustion engine cars emit?
    Thank you for asking this question. My first thought (and I'm also a cyclist. although I only do about half your weekly total) was why not just make it sound like a "regular" car. That would seem to be the most logical solution, but perhaps there are other considerations of which I'm not aware.

Thread Information