Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ellison

Default Re: The Ellison

Every time I see this thread I think it's the proposed 8 story development in Midtown ("The Ellison") and I get so excited to find out if it's happening.

Alas, Classen Curve is moving along

The proposed Midtown project is The Elliott.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The proposed Midtown project is The Elliott.
    That's what I meant but mixed it up AGAIN!

I think this is going to look better than the renderings because the renderings don't accurately represent the surrounding area. Compare that last picture to:

Way more street facing than you would think now that it's going up in the real environment. It's going to be fairly nice mid-rise infill instead of mid-rise middle of a field.

View of the rooftop pool/patio area.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AMV9QhY.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	16703
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ciBb6Tm.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	312.2 KB 
ID:	16704

Who owns the property to the south between this and Whole Foods?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Who owns the property to the south between this and Whole Foods?
    Washington Prime, the company that bought all that property from Chesapeake.

PUD plans show another restaurant pad with some parking on that parcel, although no deal has been done as of yet.

Wow. It's been a while since I've driven this area. Contrasting these latest pics with the second "Before" pic in Post #10 is amazing. Complete transformation. This will be the buckle of a great walkable area from Classen Curve all the way north to Casady Square.

What a neat city we call home.

I bet those apartments end up with waiting lists.

There are almost no for-rent units in that area and you can walk to 2 great grocery stores, a bunch of restaurants and bars, and tons of shopping.

Not only is it a great area in general, it's centrally located and easy to get almost anywhere.

Blog Entries

There are aspects of the pedestrian/cycling experience in that area that are going to see increased demand for improvement once there are people living there that want to walk around and I welcome these demands...

^

Yes, right now things are really disjointed but I'm sure that will evolve.

I would bet on a traffic signal being installed on 63rd between Western and Grand that would make it much easier for people to cross.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    There are aspects of the pedestrian/cycling experience in that area that are going to see increased demand for improvement once there are people living there that want to walk around and I welcome these demands...
    There are already more walkers and bikers around that area than I see concentrated anywhere else in the city, including the campuses. Every evening there are tons of walkers and bikers from The Curve, all along Grand through the park as it curves up to Penn. There are great trails through the park for running, walking and biking. And, the speed limit on the street is 20 mph. The sports fields there are used extensively, as well.

^

A lot of the runners in that area come from group events hosted by Red Coyote in Classen Curve.

But yes, tons of pedestrians in that area already and it's only going to increase.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    There are already more walkers and bikers around that area than I see concentrated anywhere else in the city, including the campuses. Every evening there are tons of walkers and bikers from The Curve, all along Grand through the park as it curves up to Penn. There are great trails through the park for running, walking and biking. And, the speed limit on the street is 20 mph. The sports fields there are used extensively, as well.
    The existence of walkers/joggers/bikers in the area doesn't preclude the need for infrastructure improvements. I'm just saying the demand will grow and hopefully there will be change. As someone who has walked through the area, ridden my bike through the area, and taken the bus to the area (and then walked), there's lots of room for improvement here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    The existence of walkers/joggers/bikers in the area doesn't preclude the need for infrastructure improvements. I'm just saying the demand will grow and hopefully there will be change. As someone who has walked through the area, ridden my bike through the area, and taken the bus to the area (and then walked), there's lots of room for improvement here.
    That goes without saying practically anywhere. Just pointing out that there is currently a lot of activity and support for such improvements. It's a very family friendly environment where people get outside and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Washington Prime, the company that bought all that property from Chesapeake.

PUD plans show another restaurant pad with some parking on that parcel, although no deal has been done as of yet.
    that would be a home run location for ruths chris steak

Not to mention a future commuter rail stop which yes, is still probably a decade away, but will only add to the desirability of the area for young professional types.

There was discussion on Twitter yesterday about the I-44/Western junction needing to be put on a road diet and have a bike lane added. I'd love to see that as biking that intersection can be perilous. Having the entire Western corridor from 63rd to 36th be completely walkable would be fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Not to mention a future commuter rail stop which yes, is still probably a decade away, but will only add to the desirability of the area for young professional types.

There was discussion on Twitter yesterday about the I-44/Western junction needing to be put on a road diet and have a bike lane added. I'd love to see that as biking that intersection can be perilous. Having the entire Western corridor from 63rd to 36th be completely walkable would be fabulous.
    This is the only area in the metro (besides the OU campus) that is ready for a commuter rail stop right now. Downtown Edmond is getting closer it just needs a few more pieces.

Thread Information