Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

Default Re: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

Let’s not forget that following the laughable mentality of not widening roads due to the induced demand fallacy leads to situations like the one Portland is in where it has half the population of Dallas yes traffic just as bad if not worse.

Yes, Oklahoma’s best bet is to follow the Texas model and build roads like crazy. That’s what we need more than rail or any other mode of transportation. That needs to be first priority and every other mode comes second.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma isn't following Texas' lead...

Oklahoma City, the bulk of our state's growth will be lucky to reach 1.5 million population come 2030 with the Covid-19 pandemic that will set the state back 5 years in what little growth we anticipated. Pressure to open the state in phases may eventually backfire since testing for the pandemic doesn't have the percentage of sampling neccessary to determine if Oklahoma is ready to be open for business.

We're anticipating a state loss of $400 million revenue; that will wipe out 2/3 of the State's $600 million Rainy Day Fund if we tap into that fund. If this pandemic worsens; we'll wipe out the Rainy Day Fund in the first few month of 2021; Oklahoma will need help from the U. S. Government.

At some point, the U.S. Government will be somewhere near a massive recession or all out depression that could seem like a revisit of what Oklahoma went thru during the 30s Dust Bowl & Depression era.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City manages to grow despite adversity. Covid-19 will be the greatest challenge ever.

MAPS initiatives has allowed our city to invest in itself; citizens trust the current brand. We'll be able to project sales tax collections for the city and MAPS 4 throughout this 2020 pandemic year.

The longer it lasts or if there is a 2nd wave of coronavirus this fall and/or winter can be minimized some if we continue practice to interrupt the spread.

Unfortunately from what we observed last weekend, only about 25% of people are wearing mask. Let's pray this doesn't hurt us down the road.

5. Default Re: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

I bet OKC metro gets to 1.6 million way before 2030 and probably before 2025, since it's now at 1.4 million (2019). I'd argue 2m by 2030 is very conceivable, particularly as we mature the existing and upcoming sectors and add new employment sectors.

If Oklahoma as a state can position OKC to compete against other major metros, OKC will surely boom just as Austin and Charlotte has. There's no reason why Oklahoma as a state couldn't be 4m (2020) up to 4.5m by 2030, with the bulk of that in the OKC metro.

We need to think big and as a state put the city best to compete. Tulsa can compete with small cities very nicely and make a few big grabs but we need OKC to go after companies in other state's largest cities. ...Or we can do nothing and rely on natural growth (3%), which I doubt.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    I bet OKC metro gets to 1.6 million way before 2030 and probably before 2025, since it's now at 1.4 million (2019). I'd argue 2m by 2030 is very conceivable, particularly as we mature the existing and upcoming sectors and add new employment sectors.
    The OKC MSA has grown between 10-15% for each of the last several decades but much slower when there is an oil bust.

Assuming we get to 1.4 million in the 2020 census ( a big assumption), the best you could hope for in 2030 is about 1.6 million, and given the current state of oil and the sense things were already trending down before the virus hit, I'd expect it to be less than that.

OKC is not a boomtown like the cities in Texas. They have consistently grown at 20%+ per decade on base populations many mutliples of OKC.

We grow about 10-13% per decade; always have and we'll be lucky to continue that trend in the next decade or two.

7. Default Re: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

pete, already at 1.4 million from 2019 and was already very close in 2018.

So not inconceivable to be beyond 1.5 in official 2020.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

8. Default Re: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    At some point, the U.S. Government will be somewhere near a massive recession or all out depression that could seem like a revisit of what Oklahoma went thru during the 30s Dust Bowl & Depression era.
    You went off the deep end here. It won't ever get remotely close to this bad. Deep recession? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    pete, already at 1.4 million from 2019 and was already very close in 2018.

So not inconceivable to be beyond 1.5 in official 2020.
    Those are unofficial #'s and before the oil bust.

Don't be surprised if we are lower than 1.4 million in the official 2020 census.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The OKC MSA has grown between 10-15% for each of the last several decades but much slower when there is an oil bust.

Assuming we get to 1.4 million in the 2020 census ( a big assumption), the best you could hope for in 2030 is about 1.6 million, and given the current state of oil and the sense things were already trending down before the virus hit, I'd expect it to be less than that.

OKC is not a boomtown like the cities in Texas. They have consistently grown at 20%+ per decade on base populations many mutliples of OKC.

We grow about 10-13% per decade; always have and we'll be lucky to continue that trend in the next decade or two.
    One comment is although we don’t grow as fast as those 20+% cities in Texas during the last recession we were not hit as hard either. We hug the middle line more than other fast growth cities. What will be interesting is how those fast growth cities do in this fast downturn. Do they have a much higher unemployment rate? This type of downturn is new so it will be interesting how it shakes out.

We seem to borrow less as a city, good example is our MAPS projects are paid ahead. So for example convention center is paid for and will help us not carrying the debt other cities do.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    One comment is although we don’t grow as fast as those 20+% cities in Texas during the last recession we were not hit as hard either. We hug the middle line more than other fast growth cities. What will be interesting is how those fast growth cities do in this fast downturn. Do they have a much higher unemployment rate? This type of downturn is new so it will be interesting how it shakes out.

We seem to borrow less as a city, good example is our MAPS projects are paid ahead. So for example convention center is paid for and will help us not carrying the debt other cities do.
    Those cities grew at 20% (or more) even in downtimes, while OKC has dipped down closer to 10% for a decade.

Our percentage growth rates are in no way comparable to Texas, and the raw numbers are in another universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Those cities grew at 20% (or more) even in downtimes, while OKC has dipped down closer to 10% for a decade.

Our percentage growth rates are in no way comparable to Texas, and the raw numbers are in another universe.
    +1

The new northbound bridge is done and it only took 6 1/2 months. Southbound bridge took nearly 18 months... pretty interesting.

The I44E to I35S on-ramp is back to being a no-merge situation. Not too much fun to have that sprung on a Friday after quite a few weeks of smooth and easy merging. Be careful travelling through.

Tried to drive that interchange last night and it was closed. Had to go north and turn around at Wilshire to come back south.

Quote Originally Posted by snark0leptic View Post
    The I44E to I35S on-ramp is back to being a no-merge situation. Not too much fun to have that sprung on a Friday after quite a few weeks of smooth and easy merging. Be careful travelling through.
    Thanks for the heads up. Wonder what changed in the lane configuration to make them remove the merge area?

The merge lane has been reopened from eastbound I-44 on to southbound I-35. It appears they were using the diversion time to finish off paving the right lanes and the on-ramp from the service road near Remington/Aluma Valley Dr.

So it looks like road work may be coming to an end soon, the northbound I-35 to westbound I-44 off-ramp now has its own lane again and striping is in place. The flow of traffic seemed so much cleaner with the much wider road surface thanks to the concrete barriers being removed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snark0leptic View Post
    So it looks like road work may be coming to an end soon, the northbound I-35 to westbound I-44 off-ramp now has its own lane again and striping is in place. The flow of traffic seemed so much cleaner with the much wider road surface thanks to the concrete barriers being removed as well.
    Yup, looks like they still have a little work left just south of the interchange heading North. It should take traffic a few days to adjust to things being open but traffic should start breezing through here soon. Hopefully they put the speed limit back to 60 but probably won't until construction is 100% complete.

new odot 8 year plan

I-35: NB & SB BRIDGES OVER 63RD STREET
    JP# 2984404 FFY 2022 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 37,900,000

I-35: PAVEMENT REHABILITATION FROM THE I-44 JCT. N. 4.3 MIS. TO THE
    KILPATRICK TURNPIKE
    JP# 2987104 FFY 2023 PAVEMENT REHABILITATION $ 7,630,000

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    new odot 8 year plan

I-35: NB & SB BRIDGES OVER 63RD STREET
    JP# 2984404 FFY 2022 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 37,900,000

I-35: PAVEMENT REHABILITATION FROM THE I-44 JCT. N. 4.3 MIS. TO THE
    KILPATRICK TURNPIKE
    JP# 2987104 FFY 2023 PAVEMENT REHABILITATION $ 7,630,000

my apologies this was the old 8 year plan

updated numbers from this project from the new plan bridge over 63rd stays in 2022

I-35: NB & SB BRIDGES OVER 63RD STREET 5.0 MIS. N. OF I-40.
    JP# 2984404 FFY 2022 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 39,037,000
    JP# 2984407 FFY 2021 UTILITIES $ 1,247,601
    $ 40,284,601

I35 pavement rehab moved up to 2021

I-35: FROM THE I-44 JCT. N. 4.3 MIS. TO THE KILPATRICK TURNPIKE
    JP# 2987104 FFY 2021 PAVEMENT REHABILITATION $ 7,400,000

new ODOT 8 year plan

I-35: NB & SB BRIDGES OVER 63RD STREET.
    JP# 2984404 FFY 2022 BRIDGE & APPROACHES $ 39,037,000

the I35 expansion just south of 44

I-35: FROM FORT SMITH JCT, EXTEND NORTH 4.5 MILES TO I-44 OVERLAY