Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

Default Re: I-44/35/MLK exchange area lane closures

Hopefully, that has alleviated a lot of the northbound backup. It was atrocious when I took those photos on Wednesday.

Does anybody know if the lighting on this bridge is the first LED lighting installed on streets anywhere in Oklahoma City?

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Does anybody know if the lighting on this bridge is the first LED lighting installed on streets anywhere in Oklahoma City?
    Project 180.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    It is not. The first LED highway lighting within the Metro that I am personally aware of was a short length (about half a mile) installed in the center median of I-240 with the most recent phase of the "Crossroads Renewal" (I-35/I-240 interchange) project. There also have been multiple installations / retrofits of LED street lights on city-owned streets; notable installations I am aware of include S Western from SW 29th St to SW 44th St, S Shields Ave from SE 29th St to SE Grand Blvd, and all of the new lighting along Oklahoma City Blvd.

It's highly likely that other LED lighting installations proceeded these - these are simply the ones I know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hopefully, that has alleviated a lot of the northbound backup. It was atrocious when I took those photos on Wednesday.
    Doesn't look like it, this is at 4:30pm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I35NB430Fri.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	588.3 KB 
ID:	15739

they're really moving on the northbound bridge. I'm actually impressed with this project being designed for 10 lanes of traffic.. maybe ODOT is finally thinking about the future???

It would be nice to I-35 widened to 10 or even planned for 14 lanes one day but i believe the setup it 3-3 plus auxiliary lanes.

Keep in mind this is only phase one of a complete reconstruction of this interchange which will reconfigure the movements to the right instead of having left exits providing more flyovers which I am excited for.

Here is the final proposed build out of this interchange and adjacent roads.

I wish they would extend the freeway heading east to tie into the soon to open Kickapoo Turnpike.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I wish they would extend the freeway heading east to tie into the soon to open Kickapoo Turnpike.
    I know you have a road fetish but that's 15 miles and there is absolutely nothing along that route and no reason drivers couldn't head north and hook up with I-44 east or south and take I-40 east.

This is never, ever, ever going to happen.

I know you have a road fetish but that's 15 miles and there is absolutely nothing along that route and no reason drivers couldn't head north and hook up with I-44 east or south and take I-40 east.

This is never, ever, ever going to happen.
    I disagree. Regardless of my road fetish, this area will explode with growth soon. At the very least we should start planning. You could make the same argument for many freeways now built in Texas planned when no growth was occurring and we have a textbook example of the Kilpatrick Ext through mustang. Once OKC explodes with growth and it will, this will be an obvious missing link in the system.

PS, I should clarify I’m not advocating for construction right now but rather planning. Virtually no planning is happening for future freeways in the OKC metro.

You mean apart from the 3 major interstate intersections now being totally rebuilt, the massive extension to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and the new east county turnpike? Or how about the big widening and extension of Portland north of Kilpatrick?

And that Mustang extension has absolutely tons of distribution (including OKC's largest private employer) and thousands of new homes all around. Look at an aerial. There is NOTHING along the route you are proposing.

I know you love roads but you can't just post things and not expect to be challenged for common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I am very similar. When I'm bored I will just start exploring Google Earth. I might need to invest in a drone one day.
    I like to do that. Check out all the places I have lived. Of course, the Military Bases are only Ground View up to the Main Gate.

I'm curious why you think this area "will explode with growth soon." I am 46 years old and there has been pretty much zero growth anywhere east of Broadway Extension in my lifetime, never mind east of I-35 in the Oklahoma City School District. What is it that is going to change this?

OKC may explode with growth, but if it does, I'm pretty sure it will be north/northwest. The only highway that I think would be appropriate to build (or even plan for) is Lake Hefner Parkway due north towards Edmond Road and on towards Coffee Creek. Apart from that, we have the highways we need for the next 20-30 years.

^

It's just utter nonsense, along with wishing for a 14-lane road in NE OKC.

You mean apart from the 3 major interstate intersections now being totally rebuilt, the massive extension to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and the new east county turnpike? Or how about the big widening and extension of Portland north of Kilpatrick?

And that Mustang extension has absolutely tons of distribution (including OKC's largest private employer) and thousands of new homes all around. Look at an aerial. There is NOTHING along the route you are proposing.

I know you love roads but you can't just post things and not expect to be challenged for common sense.
    Those are not planning for future freeways. Those are expansions of existing ones. How do expect this area to be completely cut off from future growth? OKC is poised to become the next boomtown. This area will see growth.

What I’m referring to is the complete lack of planning that has plagued the metro area in regards to future roads and the S.W. Kilpatrick is part of that. If you noticed they had built several subdivisions right at the end of the spur which necessitated a curvy alignment less they went the more expensive route and acquired land.

So do you mean to say that no planning for a future freeway should happen here? We should expect no growth in this area and a freeway as I suggested will never be warranted? If that’s what we plan for we will regret it. OKC has been fortunate to have built almost every planned freeway unlike LA that canceled more freeways than it built.

The widening of Portland north of the Kilpatrick is a rare case. But even then there needs to be a loop around north Edmond connecting a freeway to I-35. There should be a freeway running straight through Edmond but you can kiss that idea goodbye. Funny enough Edmond has some of the worst traffic in the metro. That’s because there are no freeway or expressway facilities to accommodate traffic. That is exactly what will happen to expanses of land like the huge swath between the Kickapoo, I-35, I-40, and I-44 if we don’t plan for more freeways and expressways. Grids, feeders, and arterials can only do so much even with synchronized lights which mind you are not good for pedestrians.

Even along the I-35 corridor through north OKC there has been growth and new stuff built left and right. This area is seeing growth. Lots of new growth soon to happen in Jones, Spencer, and Choctaw. I-35 is quickly seeing congestion why else would they be so worried about a bypass which the Kickapoo turnpike is virtually phase one of.

My proposal would further alleviate traffic congestion along I-35 and assist in new growth along the route. It’s a win-win. All I want to see is planning done.

^

It's just utter nonsense, along with wishing for a 14-lane road in NE OKC.
    I’m sure those in Orange County said that back in the 70s. Okay Pete, just pretend a freeway like that will never be needed in OKC. But my opinion is you are very wrong. It’s also funny how you keep wording your posts as if I’m proposing construction start on this immediately. I’m not even proposing a timeline of construction. What I’m proposing is planning. ROW preservation and development guidelines to prevent the type of disaster that happen with the Kilpatrick S.W. extension.

^

None of that is based in fact or reality and I normally wouldn't respond but lots of people read this site and I can't just let a bunch of nonsense get posted without response.

Not going to debate this any further.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    I'm curious why you think this area "will explode with growth soon." I am 46 years old and there has been pretty much zero growth anywhere east of Broadway Extension in my lifetime, never mind east of I-35 in the Oklahoma City School District. What is it that is going to change this?

OKC may explode with growth, but if it does, I'm pretty sure it will be north/northwest. The only highway that I think would be appropriate to build (or even plan for) is Lake Hefner Parkway due north towards Edmond Road and on towards Coffee Creek. Apart from that, we have the highways we need for the next 20-30 years.
    Okay fair point but if OKC does explode with growth why do you think this area will (a be immune to that growth and (b not see any commuting through it? The latter type of logic would akin to suggesting why should there be a freeway through Ardmore since no one in Ardmore needs it to commute. It’s part of the bigger picture.

As far as growth goes, I’m not sure if people on OKCTalk or OKC in general are aware, but there are some very expensive homes in this area and lots of money.

Oh well to each their own. I get the anti freeway and car sentiment shared on many urban development forums. There are valid points to be made. But suggesting we should plan for the future here and prevent subdivision after subdivision from being in a potential path of a freeway extension through the NE is foolish and lacks foresight. I guess time will tell who’s right. Mark my words.

In fact, I’ll one up my suggestion and after just looking at how big of a hole there will be in the Kickapoo, I-35, I-40, I-44 ring; I am surprised there aren’t multiple freeway or expressway routes being studied and preserved. Now keep in mind before anyone blows a gasket I’m not suggesting construction as I have to keep repeating over and over but planning.

I just drove through this area the other day and there is certainly many developments happening. I wouldn’t call it booming but it isn’t stagnant but any means.

For further clarification, six lanes works just fine at the current moment for NE OKC and Edmond area. There are some deficiencies that need to be corrected but the amount of mainline lanes works well. I am suggesting future planning.

I'm all for future planning. Really, I am.

We are going to wake up at some point in 2040 and the metro area will have over 2 million people one way or another, I get that. But when we get to 2040, which do you think is more likely?

1. The arc of development that has been happening for our whole lifetimes will have sharply, unexplainably bent and there will be a couple hundred thousand people living on the I-35 corridor and points east along Wilshire, Britton, Hefner etc.

2. The arc of development will continue on the current trajectory. NE OKC will look fairly similar to today, with perhaps some more scattered "big money" subdivisions dotting the landscape in a low density manner. Meanwhile, the Deer Creek School District will have 3 high schools and 100,000 people.

3. Demographics and changing preferences will make themselves felt. There will be growth across North OKC, the Kilpatrick will fill in between Lake Hefner Parkway and NW Highway but urban growth continues as well and we see a more well-balanced city in terms of urban vs. suburban development.

I'm betting on some combination of #2 and #3. Not #1.

I actually agree with Plupan (sort of). The number of VERY large distribution centers/warehouses along 35 between the two I-44 interchanges has also exploded. Carlisle Foods, US Foods, and Crest have all built there in recent years. I see Bobcat and DitchWitch have dealerships there as well. While maybe not employing large numbers of people, it tells me this area is beginning to take off. Also, people will wake up and realize a commute from here to downtown is better than pretty much anywhere else where new houses are being built. Also, Jones is growing for that very reason. If you plan (not build) right now, you can preserve a corridor from being overbuilt.

I believe there are also several more developments planned. This section of I-35 fortunately seems to have a decent amount of ROW unlike the section in south OKC.

I guarantee OkDOT is dreading this but it is starting to get to the point where we need to start having a conversation about capacity expansion. Steve lackmeyer and OkDOT have both said the interstate is maxed out at six lanes and that is complete rubbish. Question is hopefully the widen it to 10 instead of 8 to plan for the future.

As far as I-35 in north OKC metro goes the only improvements needed are as follower

Proposed near term(my dates could off by a year or two I am going from memory):

I-35 SB added lane under Kilpatrick turnpike 2022

Waterloo Interchange 2023

Edmond one way service road reconfiguration 2026

I-35/I-44 exchange 2020-2027

I-35 expansion from I-44 to I-40 2027

Planned long term:

I-35 expansion from four to six lanes from 2nd to Waterloo

I-35 expansion from four to six lanes Waterloo to SH-33 in Guthrie.

I-35 service roads extended from 2nd street to Covell or possibly Waterloo

My wishlist:

All mile roads have interchanges from Edmond to Guthrie(a possibility this will be included in the expansion but no details available that I know of)

Kilpatrick interchange reconfigured and rebuilt to remove deficiencies(yes I know it’s fairly new)

2nd street overpass completely reconstructed and reconfigured

All service roads converted to one way and Texas turnarounds added

A half mile bridge added between intergris hospital and Walmart

That’s really all I want done to I-35 at this point. But as far as new freeways go I’d like to see more planning done. We are setting ourselves up for disaster. The planning done in Texas plays a part in why the state is so successful.

Blog Entries

Texas' success has a lot to do with its growth and road development. Texas at this point can't build the roads they need to support its explosive growth.

When you have metro areas like Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston; each with four or five cities over 100,000 populations you have to build infrastructure to support those growing population centers.

Oklahoma City metro has Norman (128,000) & Edmond (95,000) surrounding OKC and Midwest City-Del City (90,000), Moore (68,000) with Bethany-Yukon-El Reno (68,000); you do need to look at your whole interstate with some kind of flexible plan to address future growth.

If the above areas in OKC begin to boom where you have three or four cities with 100,000 populations, you better start planning fast.

Eastern Oklahoma Turnpike will put OKC metro in an awkward situation where you'll need more roads built coming into OKC in a spoke wheel structure.

Oklahoma City thru ODOT needs to have a flexible 10-15 year road growth & Interstate widening plan in place with options; right now we're projected to have about 1.6 million in 2030. If the OKC metro explodes to 1.8 million by 2030 it will be too late.

Thread Information