Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - September 2019

Weather General Weather Discussion - September 2019

Really nothing to note so far this month except that it sure doesn't seem likely to cool down anytime soon. Would be surprised if we got our first real autumn cold front before the 2nd half of the month.

It does at least seem likely to get a bit less humid as the week rolls on.

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - September 2019

How many still watch the local TV weather? Not trying to come down on them but you can get many weather forecasts from multiple sites these days. I know years ago the forecasting was more difficult because of limited radar and satellites, but you can't say that anymore. Gary England in the 70s and 80s was probably the premier Meteorologist in the country. Now it seems they have a lot easier time to forecast these days, and its more about keeping you on their stations, with their bait and switch forecasts.

Quote Originally Posted by brian72 View Post
    How many still watch the local TV weather? Not trying to come down on them but you can get many weather forecasts from multiple sites these days. I know years ago the forecasting was more difficult because of limited radar and satellites, but you can't say that anymore. Gary England in the 70s and 80s was probably the premier Meteorologist in the country. Now it seems they have a lot easier time to forecast these days, and its more about keeping you on their stations, with their bait and switch forecasts.
    I nowcast with local mets... get my forecasts from NWS.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4649ee85d696faa8598a44f8285885142361fa80.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	15576

The local TV guys talk a lot without saying very much, and the bait & switch questions are insulting ("Will Hurricane Dorian affect our weather? I'll have the answer right after this.") Much of it is reading what's on the screen, and anyone who's had to endure a speaker reading their Powerpoint slides knows what I'm talking about! I only watch them when severe wx is threatening the metro.

Thank you for making this thread. Yes, Dorian is making the weather quiet across most of the US.

Looks like here in OK we will be mid 90s and sunshine through the weekend. Next week things get more interesting when tropical remnants from Fernand 07L (currently in the GOM) is shredded across Central America and pieces of moisture get pulled up along a boundary that will be a focal point for storms and cooler weather across the plains.

The Fair starts Thursday. Rain can't be far behind.

Thursday evening storms should develop along a boundary draped from SW to NE OK. Locally heavy rainfall is likely wherever storms develop and move very slowly. Right now the best shot for prolonged heavy rain looks to be just SE of OKC area.

Storms have begun developing across N and NW OK. These will continue to develop across this slow moving [to the SE] boundary.

Short-range models show majority of OKC rain and storm impact heading into dark tonight. Also indications of flash flooding potential across a large swath of the I-44 corridor, including the metro.

Severe thunderstorm watch 649 is in effect until 1000 pm cdt
    for the following locations in oklahoma:

Oklahoma counties included are

alfalfa beckham blaine
    canadian craig creek
    custer dewey ellis
    garfield grant kay
    kingfisher lincoln logan
    major noble nowata
    oklahoma osage pawnee
    payne rogers roger mills
    tulsa washington wa****a
    woods woodward

Hopefully this thing doesn't peter out before we get a good rainfall.

Great weekend weather on tap.

Cooler weather is coming by end of the week. We will see a coolfront approach from the NW and tropical moisture coming up from TX over the weekend. The combination will happen right over OK, but most of the moisture is expected to flare up across the E half of OK. Cloud cover will aid in keeping temperatures in the 80s.

OKC could see rain/storms really anytime Friday through Sunday, coverage will be localized. Monitoring radar trends will be necessary for outdoor planning.

The remnants of TS Imelda will move north over the next few days

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Cooler weather is coming by end of the week. We will see a coolfront approach from the NW and tropical moisture coming up from TX over the weekend. The combination will happen right over OK, but most of the moisture is expected to flare up across the E half of OK. Cloud cover will aid in keeping temperatures in the 80s.

OKC could see rain/storms really anytime Friday through Sunday, coverage will be localized. Monitoring radar trends will be necessary for outdoor planning.
    Do you think the odds are decent that we won't see the 90s again this year after this cool down?

16. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - September 2019

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    The remnants of TS Imelda will move north over the next few days

I hope Alabama is gonna be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Do you think the odds are decent that we won't see the 90s again this year after this cool down?
    We may technically hit 90 or 91 a few days, as upper 80s will be very normal and with sun exposure and lack of moisture content, we could sneak a 90 or two.

But in terms of the mid to upper 90s? Most definitely we are finished after this.

Rain chances over the weekend time frame for C OK have gone down from last update. The best shots at rain will be across far SW OK and extreme E OK. OKC's best shot at a random storm or rain shower will be during the day Friday and again early morning Saturday - but chances are very low.

Cooler temperatures will still be present. Next best shot at moisture for C OK looks to be around Tuesday.

Anymore Rain coming today in OKC metro? Looks like it stayed more west of us

And to the northeast. The Stillwater area got 2 to 4 plus inches. One of the wunderground stations in far north Stillwater maxed out at 4.05". In that area, stretches of some major rural roads got flooded and were closed. From a wet September, to no surprise Boomer Lake in north Stillwater went over the spillway again. The rain looks to be likely over with until chances of it rises to 60% on Tuesday.

While, fortunately, it didn't come in Texas sized proportions, there was an interesting rain train effect last night, 9-22-19, tracking from the southwest corner to the northeast corner of the state:

Anymore Rain coming today in OKC metro? Looks like it stayed more west of us
    looks like we really got the shaft on this storm system. All the rain stayed west and northwest and then it basically died when it got here ( .14 in my gauge in MWC ) then the cold front didnt have the storms materialize like they said either. And now the rain chances have been reduced from previous forecasts for the upcoming week as well. smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirsteve View Post
    looks like we really got the shaft on this storm system. All the rain stayed west and northwest and then it basically died when it got here ( .14 in my gauge in MWC ) then the cold front didnt have the storms materialize like they said either. And now the rain chances have been reduced from previous forecasts for the upcoming week as well. smh.
    Posts like this crack me up. Weather's gonna do what weather's gonna do, it doesn't care who lives where, who plants what where, who travels where, or pretty much anything else, it just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Posts like this crack me up. Weather's gonna do what weather's gonna do, it doesn't care who lives where, who plants what where, who travels where, or pretty much anything else, it just happens.
    Yes you are correct i just think its funny when they say 2 to 3 inches of rain and my area is in a flash flood watch and we get diddly.....its more an observation than anything. It also happened a couple weeks ago we were in a flash flood watch and got the other half of diddly.......we got squat. I will just have to pray harder to the weather gods

Picked up 0.95 inches of rain at our house in Edmond last night...

Anybody notice how hot and muggy it’s been this September? I’m curious how are average temps stack up to previous years.

If this is climate change, I don’t like it!! Fall is the best time of the year in Oklahoma!

Thread Information