Widgets Magazine

Thread: OK/TX Edition vehicles.

Default OK/TX Edition vehicles.

I see these vehicles (usually trucks) all the time.

What is different about them? Does anyone own one?

Default Re: OK/TX Edition vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I see these vehicles (usually trucks) all the time.

What is different about them? Does anyone own one?
    They are not much different really. Pretty much local badging to make it more 'personal" if you would. Marketing in the markets the most new trucks are sold. It all started in, wait for it. . . . Texas.

I have some general knowledge I will share. Nothing specific.

Texas and Oklahoma is a common (and common) sales area for car makers. It features shared interests in type and style. Pickups are obviously strong here, for instance. Whereas the west coast might be strong with crossovers and hybrids. The car makers will put together a vehicle that will be a popular promotion for our region. Also, style of commercial content and filming locations can differ.

Regional edition vehicles can be as simple as badges on the doors and tailgate, or expanded to seat covers, wheels, and specific drive train configurations. They might all have to have heavy duty transmission cooler, steering fluid cooler and dual AC, etc. Anything to improve the sense of importance and value to the customer.

Although I'm guessing they've been doing it forever, the earliest I can recall is the 1968 Mustang coupes with the Shelby taillights and side scoops that were badged "California Special" for the west coast or "High Country Special" for the Rocky Mountain region.

Dob, if you watch the car auction shows, those are highly sought after and fetch big time bucks. It's the Mustang GT/CS. There were 4118 "California Special" Mustangs produced in 68'. However, 251 units were sent to Denver to be marketed as "High Country Special."

The first company I know of to market a car in the US with a state in the model name is Ferrari. They started producing the 250 GT California in 1957. Currently selling in the $15mm range.

You sure see a lot of the silly Texas edition trucks. Jack in the Box has been doing the same thing to gullible Texans for years with items like the "Texan" Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger, etc. It's an old marketing trick, that seems to work quite well in the Lone Star state...for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    They are not much different really. Pretty much local badging to make it more 'personal" if you would. Marketing in the markets the most new trucks are sold. It all started in, wait for it. . . . Texas.
    It really depends on the brand. Some of these special editions are little more than exterior styling, but others include options you could only get with a higher trim package. Here's an article from 2013 that compares the various Texas-edition trucks for that model year: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...dition-trucks/

In the late 80's /early 90's Chevy used to have the TexOma package trucks. Base Cheyanne series trucks with Silverado grille, Chrome wheel accents, V6 auto, cruise, tilt, A/C, stereo, with cloth bench seat and rubber floor mats.

Back in 1967, AMC marketed a trio of Rambler Rebel regional wagons. The Mariner, Briarcliff, and the Westerner. All equipped with their own unique paint and interior treatments.

I remember the Texoma edition trucks being sold around here. Didn't know that about AMC.

You can also just go on Ebay, and buy a Texas Edition emblem for $25 bucks and stick it on your truck, prius, smart car, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I remember the Texoma edition trucks being sold around here. Didn't know that about AMC.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9088433473_86f2248843_b.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	15577
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rambler-1967-rebel-special-wagons_87006970.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	15578

Thread Information