Widgets Magazine

Thread: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS4 projects

Would definitely prefer that the bulk of the 0.9B be spent on (a) attracting high paying non-O&G jobs; (b) capping the highway between the innovation district and automobile alley; (c) micro capping I-44 to provide additional connectivity and walkability; and (d) building a world class aquarium/extending the canal through the boat house district.

Most of the proposed projects are absolutely terrible and will generate zero in the way of ROI. This tax is supposed to create transformational projects.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Would definitely prefer that the bulk of the 0.9B be spent on (a) attracting high paying non-O&G jobs; (b) capping the highway between the innovation district and automobile alley; (c) micro capping I-44 to provide additional connectivity and walkability; and (d) building a world class aquarium/extending the canal through the boat house district.

Most of the proposed projects are absolutely terrible and will generate zero in the way of ROI. This tax is supposed to create transformational projects.
    Exactly why I’ve added Election Day to my calendar to not forget to vote no. MAPS has been modified to cover what should be done by other entities or by normal municipal means.

Social movement doesn’t elevate the city above others; but outstanding projects result in the increase of sales tax to fund those extras from general operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Exactly why I’ve added Election Day to my calendar to not forget to vote no. MAPS has been modified to cover what should be done by other entities or by normal municipal means.

Social movement doesn’t elevate the city above others; but outstanding projects result in the increase of sales tax to fund those extras from general operations.
    This is kinda my sentiment, though I'm still very undecided as to how I'll vote. There are a ton of good and much needed ideas on this list, but most of these line items are ones that I would expect would be funded from the taxes we all already pay. I'm also quite leery of the conditions that many of these items have on them - i.e. "conditional on the identification of operational funding". For instance, EMBARK is already stretched thin with their budget. Where is the operational funding going to come from for the proposed BRT lines? Unless the intent is to expand EMBARK's budget after the fact (which I would be massively in support of doing, btw), the money earmarked for the BRT lines sounds like it's just going to sit and do nothing to me. There's a lot of that in this MAPS package and I honestly don't know what to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

This is transformational in that it transforms 3 successful Maps into a complete boondoggle. Like stated adding street lights lol they can’t keep up with current ones. Heck we can’t even get paint to stick on roads and no amount if lights will fix that. This does not move the needle at all it is fraught with potential waste and no real oversight.

Short of bus funding too. They are throwing darts at a board just to dream up stuff and this is not going to make our city better. It will lock us in a death spiral of future costs and not adding anything transformative.

Thread Information