Widgets Magazine
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Blog Entries

Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

excellent infill

I hate that we live in a world where this stuff has to exist but I’m always pleased to see resources to help those that suffer.

Blog Entries

MAPS4 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

We're (OKC) moving in the right direct with resources that address treatment with behavior modification, animal welfare and family justice because there are so many angles that capsizes our society.

A Holistic approach for human needs that invests the majority of the $978 million MAPS 4 Initiative from beautification of our parks, city, treatment for mental health, addressing the housing affordability, putting on a new face as our city works to straighten out the dents and kinks in our armor.

A vision of ourselves to improve and provide for our citizens. Yes, MAPS isn't a cure all, but it slowly chips away at the years of neglect and decay in our inner city that is often fatal to cities of our size. Most of all, our citizens get their direct input into shaping our city's future. We can't fix everything; however, let's fix what we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    According to a MAPS 4 agenda, the new Justice Center will be constructed on the SW corner of NW 11th & Hudson.

Midtown Renaissance will donate the land directly west of the existing Palomar offices.

I'd like to see a rendering for it but this has the potential to be some nice mid-rise infill.

Pete what does MR get out of this? A tax write-off? I get the Justice Center is needed but those folks are businessmen not particularly known for wild acts of philanthropy. This is caddy-corner to the new hotel and seems a hot piece of land.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Pete what does MR get out of this? A tax write-off? I get the Justice Center is needed but those folks are businessmen not particularly known for wild acts of philanthropy. This is caddy-corner to the new hotel and seems a hot piece of land.
    No idea.

They also own the building where Palomar is currently operating.

And the hotel is dead; will be an office building instead.

Press release:

MAPS 4 seeks public input for city-wide beautification efforts
    08/15/2022

Link to story

The City of Oklahoma City is inviting residents to weigh in on future beautification projects they would like to see implemented as a part of MAPS 4 by completing a survey at BeautifyOKC.com.

The survey is available in English and Spanish and will be open through late October.

Results from the survey will help consultants develop a master plan and determine where the City should prioritize beautification projects identified in the 2019 MAPS 4 Resolution.

MAPS 4 will help transform the appearance of Oklahoma City with targeted investments in projects such as gardens, plazas, gateways, bridge enhancements, murals landscaping, artwork and more. The project will elevate residents’ daily experience and improve our first impression for visitors.

MAPS 4 includes $25 million for beautification projects across Oklahoma City, which may include:
    • City entrance gateways along interstates
    • Approaches to Will Rogers World Airport (including the creation of the Bessie Coleman Garden near the airport, State Highway 152 from Meridian to I-44 and I-44 from State Highway 152 to I-40)
    • Enhancement of three pedestrian bridges over the interstates in south Oklahoma City
    • I-240 from I-44 to I-35
    • East and west entrances to the Clara Luper Corridor
    • NE 23rd Street and Martin Luther King Avenue
    • Oklahoma City University corridor along NW 23rd Street
    • Reno Avenue and Eastern Avenue corridor between Bricktown and the First Americans Museum
    • I-35 and I-44 bridges over the Oklahoma River
    • I-44 from Portland Avenue to Classen Boulevard
    • I-40 and Council Road interchange
    • Route 66
    • Public art and/or monuments at key intersections, including a statue of Ralph Ellison
    • Updated low-maintenance landscaping along key arterial roads
    • Trees (at least $1 million)

Consultants will also get input from OKC residents through focus groups, events and public meetings.

“The goal for BeautifyOKC is to take a community-driven approach to identify and prioritize potential improvements residents would like to see and where they would like those efforts to be focused,” MAPS 4 Program Manager David Todd said. “Beautification projects create more interesting places, improve community health outcomes, increase property values, encourage economic development, and create a better environment for residents and visitors. We’re excited to be moving this project forward.”

Residents can stay up to date on the MAPS 4 Beautification project at okc.gov/maps4. Learn more about the public engagement process and take the survey at BeautifyOKC.com.

Here is my pie in the sky remark on the "Approaches to Will Rogers World Airport (including the creation of the Bessie Coleman Garden near the airport, State Highway 152 from Meridian to I-44 and I-44 from State Highway 152 to I-40)": Revitalize the whole strip relocating all of the industrial business off of Meridian and putting in more restaurant and hotels, maybe a few more car park places, and of course some other retail. of course this should be some of the smoothest concrete in the city with clean street lights few overhead wires. I know a lot of city traffic probably jumps onto HWY152 and doesn't go all the way to I-40, but I have always hated that drive leaving the airport and seeing how run down most of it is. The newer hotels close to I-40 are nice and there is a new OnCue. But then there is just a large swath of bland stuff that doesn't like inviting for newcomers/visitors. I think I like airports where the major highways are really the only in and out from the Airport.

How is $25 million dollars going to beautify all of that?

I just did the BeatuifyOkc survey... It rather leading with its questions and doesn't have a place to really give an opinion or suggestions except for whatever the question on the survey asks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    How is $25 million dollars going to beautify all of that?
    It's not. They know they don't have the money for all of it. But they are making a master plan, so maybe what doesn't get done now can get targeted for later.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    It's not. They know they don't have the money for all of it. But they are making a master plan, so maybe what doesn't get done now can get targeted for later.
    Good point. That was their response to me on Twitter as well. Hopefully we can do this sooner than later and include corridors like I-35 and I-40.

I-240 from I-35 to I-44 needs to be 4 lanes each way plus 3 service roads each which would necessitate a full reconstruction where ODOT could and should include beautification efforts and bike/bus lanes. East of I-35 to I-40 it needs to be 3 lanes each way and service roads improved plus a LRT line.

Blog Entries

That was their response to me on Twitter as well.
    Makes sense. I'm on that subcommittee so my statement was from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Good point. That was their response to me on Twitter as well. Hopefully we can do this sooner than later and include corridors like I-35 and I-40.

I-240 from I-35 to I-44 needs to be 4 lanes each way plus 3 service roads each which would necessitate a full reconstruction where ODOT could and should include beautification efforts and bike/bus lanes. East of I-35 to I-40 it needs to be 3 lanes each way and service roads improved plus a LRT line.
    I live less than a mile from this highway and use it all the time... There's nowhere even close to enough ROW to create that kind of monster - besides, 240 along that stretch practically never sees the kind of traffic load that would suggest that the current 3 lanes are inadequate. The biggest bottleneck that creates congestion during rush hour right now is the I-35/I-240 interchange, and even then the phases of reconstruction that have already been completed have gone a LONG way to easing the traffic through here. Once the interchange is fully done I-240 will flow much, much better than before.

I don't think I'd use a bike lane on the service road unless there was a hard physical barrier, though - I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable riding along with the traffic that is there without a barrier. That said, I'm 100% down for reconstructing ALL of the on/off ramps, as well as shoehorning a LRT line onto the entire I-240 corridor though, there's a TON of residential packed all around that would gladly make use of additional transit options (myself included). I'm also extremely eager to see some beautification efforts in the area as well... the I-240 corridor always looks kinda run down, very "minimum effort" to me. Functional but utilitarian. It'd be great if we could make it look better.

I don't think I240 is a priority for the city. Envision 240 went nowhere because it had no support from the city. I think including this area in the Maps package was just to get southside votes for Maps.

So with the increase in expected money to be collected from Maps, is it expected that it will be split up evenly for each project? With that being said, does this create an opportunity for the Multi-Purpose Stadium to be built more like the second option proposed with more seats and shaded areas?

Here’s a link to their original proposal: https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublish...06904730470000

Quote Originally Posted by smitteebc View Post
    So with the increase in expected money to be collected from Maps, is it expected that it will be split up evenly for each project? With that being said, does this create an opportunity for the Multi-Purpose Stadium to be built more like the second option proposed with more seats and shaded areas?

Here’s a link to their original proposal: https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublish...06904730470000
    It sounds like the mayor just said that nothing will be changed or affected. There has been a cost increase due to inflation and this extra money will account for that. That’s the way I read his Tweets. I could be wrong.

It sounds like the mayor just said that nothing will be changed or affected. There has been a cost increase due to inflation and this extra money will account for that. That’s the way I read his Tweets. I could be wrong.
    Gotcha. That makes sense.

Blog Entries

If Option two ($67 - $72 million) had been selected, a 10,000 seat stadium would be the result.

Can't figure out why Bob Funk Jr., was given the right to select which option the city would use.
    His response was that he wanted to make sure there was enough money in MAPS 4
    Initiative to cover his wife's project (Kim Garrett, Palomar Family Justice Center).

Looks like all 16 projects in MAPS 4 have received increases in funds: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4/projects

Note: All projects appear to have received increases in funds: Multipurpose Stadium increased from $37 million to $41 million, Beautification increased from $25 million to $32.8 million, Transit from $70 million to $97 million, Homelessness from $50 million to $55.7, Paycom Center & related from $115 million to $116 million, Fairgrounds Coliseum from $63 million to $82 million and they
    get hotel-motel sales tax revenue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    If Option two ($67 - $72 million) had been selected, a 10,000 seat stadium would be the result.

Can't figure out why Bob Funk Jr., was given the right to select which option the city would use.
    His response was that he wanted to make sure there was enough money in MAPS 4
    Initiative to cover his wife's project (Kim Garrett, Palomar Family Justice Center).

Looks like all 16 projects in MAPS 4 have received increases in funds: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-4/projects

Note: All projects appear to have received increases in funds: Multipurpose Stadium increased from $37 million to $41 million, Beautification increased from $25 million to $32.8 million, Transit from $70 million to $97 million, Homelessness from $50 million to $55.7, Paycom Center & related from $115 million to $116 million, Fairgrounds Coliseum from $63 million to $82 million and they
    get hotel-motel sales tax revenue.
    Funk Jr was given unilateral discretion over MAPS funds? When did that happen? Who had the authority to give it to him?

Didn’t realize Garrett was Funk’s wife. Good to see her starting this great service for battered women to get help and support in OKC. Given helping battered women or building a pitch with stands, I can see why some would favor that. If you’ve see the damage abuse does to women of our community it’s something you want to fight to help the victims and their kids. OKC ranks way higher for abuse than it does for soccer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Funk Jr was given unilateral discretion over MAPS funds? When did that happen? Who had the authority to give it to him?

Didn’t realize Garrett was Funk’s wife. Good to see her starting this great service for battered women to get help and support in OKC. Given helping battered women or building a pitch with stands, I can see why some would favor that. If you’ve see the damage abuse does to women of our community it’s something you want to fight to help the victims and their kids. OKC ranks way higher for abuse than it does for soccer.
    Salute Kim Garrett for her outstanding work. Fund Jr., decision on a stadium would not have affected Palomar.

Had Funk Jr., selected the bigger & better stadium plan; especially since he and Tim McLaughlin aspire to reach Major League Soccer (MLS) as they have claimed since owning OKC Energy FC; Option two - 10,000 seats will get you closer to a 20,000 seat minimum requirements to reach MLS.

An additional 10,000 seat expansion (20,000 seats) helps the MLS option and allows 6A & 5A a long term home for OSSAA.

Blog Entries

City Council approves operators for two MAPS 4 projects

The Oklahoma City Council voted to approve operator agreements for the Henrietta B. Foster Center and Diversion Hub as a part of MAPS 4.

The City selected Oklahoma nonprofit organization, Oklahoma County Diversion Hub Inc., as the operating partner for the Diversion Hub. The $19 million project from MAPS 4 will identify and establish a purpose-built facility for the Diversion Hub. Programming could include case management, court case navigation, behavioral health, substance abuse, client support for employment and education services.

For the Henrietta B. Foster Center, the City of Oklahoma City selected Metro Technology Centers partnered with a consortium of local organizations as the operating partner. The approximately $15 million MAPS 4 project will renovate the existing building on North Lincoln Boulevard and NE 4th Street into a center focused on the development of new and existing small business and entrepreneurship opportunities for surrounding residents.

“$110 MILLION INVESTMENT WILL GO TOWARD NEW BOYS & GIRLS CLUB FACILITIES IN OKC”

https://www.news9.com/story/63489f12...ilities-in-okc

Another article on it: https://freepressokc.com/city-counci...-4-youth-ctrs/

“$110 MILLION INVESTMENT WILL GO TOWARD NEW BOYS & GIRLS CLUB FACILITIES IN OKC”

https://www.news9.com/story/63489f12...ilities-in-okc

Another article on it: https://freepressokc.com/city-counci...-4-youth-ctrs/
    I can get behind this, 150%. Good use of MAPS funding, in my opinion.

Just saw this post from OKC but did not see it anywhere on here.

MAPS 4 to host open houses for city-wide park improvement projects

MAPS 4 will host a series of public open house events to gather input for the Neighborhood and Community Parks Master Plan.

The City of Oklahoma City is inviting residents to share ideas on improvements to 105 community and neighborhood parks across Oklahoma City as a part of MAPS 4. Community input will guide consultants as they develop a master plan and assess current park conditions, accessibility, and potential expansion needs for neighborhood and community parks around Oklahoma City.

MAPS 4 to host open houses for city-wide park improvement projects | News List | City of OKC

Thread Information