Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 181920212223
Results 551 to 574 of 574
  1. #551

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I want tax dollars used for needed infrastructure like repacking/repairing roads and sidewalks.
    Well, they are spent on that. I think you mean you want more money spent on repacking/repairing roads and sidewalks.

    But exactly how is passing MAPS negatively related to money for infrastructure? That is, that passing MAPS equates to less money for roads.

    Are you saying a property tax base increase is politically difficult because of MAPS?

    Because, otherwise, If the MAPS tax ended tomorrow, that would not, in effect, increase spending on roads.

  2. #552

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    This is a legit question...can anyone tell me a large city in America that the locals think have "good roads'?

  3. #553

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Fellow south sider here. I live in far SW OKC and have volunteered regularly with both the Maps 3 and Maps 4 campaign. Candidly, the campaign ignored the areas south of the river due to historic opposition to Maps. I disagree with this approach as I know many like minded individuals (White collar and college educated) who would support civic efforts if they felt engaged by the city government. The south chamber is a great advocate and one of the only reasons this initiative did as well as it did in SW OKC. Also, major kudos to Mayor Holt for all of his efforts south. I believe he has attended more south OKC events in 2 years than the last 4 mayors combined.

    I support Maps because It benefits the city as a whole. However, there is a stigma living south and there is little effort by those in power to advocate for improvements south. Now, the greater chamber will deliver the standard Boring, Tinker, and airport efforts as major investments and I would agree but we could use the retail recruitment resources and efforts for beautification and incentives for economic development that are deployed DT and NW OKC. Bottom line. The majority of city government officials that have power and influence live north. You don’t advocate for areas you don’t live in or visit. Sadly, there is little reason for residents from outside the area to live shop or visit south OKC. Capitol Hill is our only shot. The lariat landing development could be a catalyst but city efforts are more focused on attracting retail to memorial road.

    Here are some points to consider:
    How much money have we spent incentivizing Von Maur, H&M, Cabela’s and Costco?

    The city systematically let Crossroads die and effectively 240. Could proactive economic incentives changed that? It certainly has helped Quail Springs.

    How much in sales tax dollars bleeds to Moore or Norman from 73170 and 73173? Six figure incomes who presumably spend more money in Moore and Norman?

    Could Lariat Lansing and I 240 avoided this fate of the city were proactive?

    Why did we provide economic incentive for Costco North but make zero effort to land them south? Who got em? Moore

  4. #554

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Nothing. I want tax dollars used for needed infrastructure like repacking/repairing roads and sidewalks.
    You said the Southwest side pays taxes but sees little to no benefit from them. You also donít want anything from MAPS on the southwest side. Iím not sure what you are advocating for.

    Yes, everyone complains about the quality of roads in their area. It certainly isnít a unique problem to the Southwest side.

  5. #555

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Does anyone have an idea of approximately when we'll see an outline/ordering of the funding for these projects? I did not live in OKC back in 2009, so unsure of the exact process from here.

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,889
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Tax collection doesn't even begin until 1 April. Not sure if citizen committees form before or after 1 April or if priority meetings would happen before or after then.

  7. #557

    MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Does anyone have an idea of approximately when we'll see an outline/ordering of the funding for these projects? I did not live in OKC back in 2009, so unsure of the exact process from here.
    Don't have any idea. My guest is:

    Projects:
    1 - 2 Coliseum, Stadium,
    3 - 4 Animal Shelter, Family Justice Center

    On-going 1-16 (spread out/in between): Beautification, Parks, Youth Centers, Homelessness, Senior Wellness Centers, Mental Health, Transit, Sidewalks, bike lanes, trails & streetlights,

    13 - 14 Freedom Center, Diversion Hub,
    15 -16 Chesapeake Energy Arena, Innovation District

  8. #558

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Don't have any idea. My guest is:

    Projects:
    1 - 2 Coliseum, Stadium,
    3 - 4 Animal Shelter, Family Justice Center

    On-going 1-16 (spread out/in between): Beautification, Parks, Youth Centers, Homelessness, Senior Wellness Centers, Mental Health, Transit, Sidewalks, bike lanes, trails & streetlights,

    13 - 14 Freedom Center, Diversion Hub,
    15 -16 Chesapeake Energy Arena, Innovation District
    expect the chesapeake arena to be near the front of the list

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,889
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    I suspect they'll work around the Thunder season tho

  10. #560

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    This is a legit question...can anyone tell me a large city in America that the locals think have "good roads'?
    Not really. It is the same thing as "if you don't like the weather, just stick around". The same phrase is used almost anywhere. Coincidentally, the places with the least drastic weather changes are probably the same places with the nicest roads (no freezing temperatures to expand cracks). This will be Florida, South Texas, and South California.

  11. #561

    MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    My reasoning for placing the coliseum & stadium at the top of the list; If both are constructed at State Fair Park, the base infrastructure is there (ample parking) on land the city owns. There's renewal on the current horse & trade shows needing immediate attention--State Fair Board Trust. The stadium would be a perfect fit at the old Grand Stands location. As mentioned, you're not going to get much for $37 million; it will be a challenge to stretch those funds to the max. Parking & infrastructure limits how far those funds will go.

    This allowed the City to spend more of those 'earmarked funds,' $63 million on the coliseum and $37 million on the stadium to allow those funds to do more with those projects.

    If you build on private land; there's the question of parking and basic infrastructure unless you can build near our new convention center complex where the area will have garage & surface parking, restaurants & entertainment in place.

    The stadium at State Fair Park would encourage more private development to the area; improve the community that surrounds SFP.

    A central location would be idea for the stadium. Just don't feel that a south or specific north location will matter.

    IMO, the City will do due diligence to put the multipurpose stadium in a position to be a success. Naming-rights should go to the highest bidder who could make an impact on their legacy and the stadium--are you listening Harold Hamm (Continental Resources Stadium), Tom & Judy Love (Love's Field).

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,889
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    I think there will be a lot of uproar if it's built in the NW, sorry.

  13. #563

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Does anyone know the status of the plot of land that is bounded by Exchange, SW 3rd, Western, and I-40? I feel like that could be a very interesting spot for the stadium.

  14. #564

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Does anyone know the status of the plot of land that is bounded by Exchange, SW 3rd, Western, and I-40? I feel like that could be a very interesting spot for the stadium.
    Pete may be able to give you an update on this parcel.

  15. #565

    MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    MAPS 4 penny sales tax collections:

    The penny tax would bring in about $110 million per year; that equivalent to $9.2 million per month .

  16. #566

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by jdg78 View Post
    Fellow south sider here. I live in far SW OKC and have volunteered regularly with both the Maps 3 and Maps 4 campaign. Candidly, the campaign ignored the areas south of the river due to historic opposition to Maps. I disagree with this approach as I know many like minded individuals (White collar and college educated) who would support civic efforts if they felt engaged by the city government. The south chamber is a great advocate and one of the only reasons this initiative did as well as it did in SW OKC. Also, major kudos to Mayor Holt for all of his efforts south. I believe he has attended more south OKC events in 2 years than the last 4 mayors combined.

    I support Maps because It benefits the city as a whole. However, there is a stigma living south and there is little effort by those in power to advocate for improvements south. Now, the greater chamber will deliver the standard Boring, Tinker, and airport efforts as major investments and I would agree but we could use the retail recruitment resources and efforts for beautification and incentives for economic development that are deployed DT and NW OKC. Bottom line. The majority of city government officials that have power and influence live north. You don’t advocate for areas you don’t live in or visit. Sadly, there is little reason for residents from outside the area to live shop or visit south OKC. Capitol Hill is our only shot. The lariat landing development could be a catalyst but city efforts are more focused on attracting retail to memorial road.

    Here are some points to consider:
    How much money have we spent incentivizing Von Maur, H&M, Cabela’s and Costco?

    The city systematically let Crossroads die and effectively 240. Could proactive economic incentives changed that? It certainly has helped Quail Springs.

    How much in sales tax dollars bleeds to Moore or Norman from 73170 and 73173? Six figure incomes who presumably spend more money in Moore and Norman?

    Could Lariat Lansing and I 240 avoided this fate of the city were proactive?

    Why did we provide economic incentive for Costco North but make zero effort to land them south? Who got em? Moore
    I wish I had the breakdown, but the amount of money spent on previous MAPS projects is equally divided between north and south. I agree with catch22's take that perception is reality, because so much of what people do recreationally and dining and entertainment-wise is north of the river. But that is not necessarily due to MAPS investments. I suppose one could argue that the MAPS investments in North OKC were more effective because the ground was already seeded with more private investment.

    As for the roads matter, there are a TON of road repairs scheduled that haven't happened yet. We just had a secondary road near our home resurfaced and it has been life changing. The state of the road before was horrific, easily one of the worst in OKC. Had it not been for a series of serious sinkholes, however, we would have had to wait another year or two. The sinkholes were too severe to patch so they just went ahead and did the road.

    Historically, Southwest OKC has had Council representation that has not effectively advocated for the area. During this election, David Greenwell publicly stated he would not support MAPS 4. That's certainly his right but as your representative you need to be pressing him to do his job and advocate for your neighborhood.

    There is not a secret cabal of haters in North OKC trying to deny cool things to South OKC.

  17. #567

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Soonerguru

    I suppose one could argue that the MAPS investments in North OKC were more effective because the ground was already seeded with more private investment.
    This is so true, the seeds for more private investment were already in place on the north side.

    MAPS 4 will serve as a catalyst for effective future development. You will see future benefits south of the Oklahoma Rivers. Especially if the new MAPS 4 stadium is built there near the lower Scissortail Park.

  18. #568

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects



    Where do sales tax dollars go in OKC?



    The City's share of the sales tax rate is 4.125 percent Ė a little more than 4 cents per dollar. About half (2 1/4 cents) goes to the General Fund, which pays for day-to-day operations. Most of the General Fund goes to public safety (Police and Fire), with the rest to other services. An additional 3/4 of a cent is permanently dedicated to public safety. Then 1/8 of a cent goes to the Oklahoma City Zoo. The last penny is the one historically used for the series of temporary penny sales taxes, like the MAPS programs and the current Better Streets, Safer City program. MAPS 4 takes effect when that temporary tax expires.

    The rest of the overall sales tax rate in Oklahoma City goes to the state (and to the county in Cleveland and Canadian counties, which have county sales tax).

    Source link: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-...x%20comparison

  19. #569

    MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    .

    Oklahoma City residents pass MAPS 4 initiative; what's next?

    Now, Holt said city officials will create a citizens advisory committee around January 2020 and then will meet with people to decide on who will be on it. That committee will come up with a plan on what to fund when, and then the City Council will have to approve its recommendations.

    " Holt said. "MAPS 3 didn't complete its implementation plan for about a year and half before that was adopted."

    For example, the MAPS 3 Convention Center isn't expected to open until 2020, 11 years after the MAPS 3 initiative was approved by voters.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ok...ext/ar-AAK2cYh

    That translates to $110 million in collections starting in April 2020 to April 2021 (12 months @ $9.2 million a year) before the 1st project construction begins (MAPS 4 approved December 10, 2019).

  20. #570

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    If one of you is interested in getting on the Citizenís Advisory Committee below is a quote from the OKC MAPS 3 website on how the committee was chosen for MAPS 3. You probably need to know your representative well.

    ďEach of Oklahoma City's eight City Council members nominate one person to represent their ward. Two at-large board members are appointed upon nomination by the Mayor. One Advisory Board member is a City Council member, who is appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by a Council vote. The Council member serves a one-year term, and another Council member then takes over on a rotating basis.

    Eight subcommittees comprised of more than 60 members provide additional input to the Citizens Advisory Board. Two members of the Advisory Board serve as the chair and vice-chair of each subcommittee.Ē

  21. #571
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,889
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Honestly everyone should know their counselor pretty well just because.

  22. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Honestly everyone should know their counselor pretty well just because.
    Councilor. But I think emtefury was talking about the MAPS Citizen Advisory Board member that your councilperson nominates, not the councilperson themselves (but I do agree with both of you).

  23. #573

    MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects


    Neighborhood beautification projects.

    Our city is a year away from construction. OKC collects roughly $9.2 million annually starting with April 2020; therefore expect construction to begin on the initial projects around March 2021 with sales tax collection above $80 million. Planning & committee work will begin much earlier, say after July 2020. From the list of 16 projects below, can you predict which 2 projects will take priority:

    Parks ($140 million) First, $63 million is to upgrade every municipal neighborhood and community park outside of the central business district.

    Youth Centers ($110 million) Four new youth centers ($70 million), operating fund ($30 million), capital improvement operating fund ($10 million).

    Senior Wellness Centers ($30 million)The package provides for a fifth senior wellness center ($15 million) to address coverage gaps remaining after MAPS 3.

    Mental Health & Addiction ($40 million) Two new mental health crisis centers ($11 million), new restoration center ($22 million), temporary crisis housing ($7 million).

    Family Justice Center operated by Palomar ($38 million)
    Transit ($87 million)
    Sidewalks, bike lanes, trails and streetlights ($87 million)
    Homelessness ($50 million)
    Chesapeake Energy Arena and related facilities ($115 million)
    Animal Shelter ($38 million)

    Fairgrounds Coliseum ($63 million) MAPS 4 allocates $63 million to the project, to be supplemented by at least $25 million from hotel tax revenues already earmarked for fairgrounds improvements, as well as other resources.

    Diversion Hub ($17 million)
    Innovation District ($71 million)
    Freedom Center and Clara Luper Civil Rights Center ($25 million)
    Beautification ($30 million)
    Multipurpose Stadium ($37 million)


    Community parks beautification projects.

    Note: Operational funds are built into many of the MAPS 4 initiatives.

  24. #574

    MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects



    My two picks are parks & SF coliseum, take the worst & best parks in the city, use the first $32 million on upgrading half of our city parks; then our tourism bread winner, Fairgrounds Coliseum which will allow the trust to get the current shows to sign or renew long-term leases since $25 million in hotel-motel sales tax collections are tied in with the new coliseum. The sooner you get the coliseum built it will allow the new arena & the Meridian hotel corridor to improve their hotels with renovation to vie for hospitality in welcoming the various horse events & related trade shows.

    Parks ($140 million) First, $63 million is to upgrade every municipal neighborhood and community park outside of the central business district.



    Fairgrounds Coliseum ($63 million) MAPS 4 allocates $63 million to the project, to be supplemented by at least $25 million from hotel tax revenues already earmarked for fairgrounds improvements, as well as other resources.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Full Moon
    By Rover in forum Development & Buildings
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 02-26-2019, 07:17 AM
  2. Full Cup
    By SoonerBeerMan in forum Edmond
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM
  3. New projects proposed for Oklahoma River/Stockyards
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 08:21 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO