Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

The first line from the MAPS3 ballot:

"The Ordinance levies a limited-term excise tax of 1% on the gross from all sales taxable under the sales tax laws of the State of Oklahoma."

Says absolutely nothing about it continuing another tax.

And it's written that way because it is factual and legal, lest the entire ballot result gets thrown out in a court of law.

Slightly more information about that polling: https://twitter.com/KarlTorpNews9/st...43782594322432

Done by Sooner Poll using the demographic profile of OKC registered voters. 401 voters questioned. Entire poll will be posted online
    @NEWS9
    401 seems a bit low, but I think that just means a larger margin of error which may not matter a lot when the spread is 50 points wide.

The news article with more details: News 9 Poll Shows Strong Support For MAPS 4

It has the full polling results included.

Very interesting. It also indicated that over 75% of the people who completed the poll were over the age of 55. Which is likely to coincide with who comes out to vote on this. I feel a lot more confident in this passing after reading through that.

SoonerPoll is usually pretty close

This is what annoys me about when the vote is occurring. It is on a obscure Tuesday where much of the population has no idea of the election day and will probably not vote. I would be surprised if more than 10% vote. A vote for a $1,000,000,000,000 tax increase should be in November during the general election.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    This is what annoys me about when the vote is occurring. It is on a obscure Tuesday where much of the population has no idea of the election day and will probably not vote. I would be surprised if more than 10% vote. A vote for a $1,000,000,000,000 tax increase should be in November during the general election.
    The mayor and city do this for a reason; they want low turnout as that highly favors passage.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    A trillion dollar tax increase? WHOA NELLIE we ain’t New York City! please throttle back on the zeroes

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The mayor and city do this for a reason; they want low turnout as that highly favors passage.
    I don't think this is unique to Oklahoma City, by ANY stretch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    SoonerPoll is usually pretty close
    I honestly thought they did horrible with our two big elections last fall. Their final gubernatorial poll showed Edmondson down to Stitt by only three points, and he ended up losing by double-digits. Meanwhile, their final poll in OK-05 showed Horn down to Russell by eleven points, and she ended up winning.

That being said, it's pretty much impossible to see a way that MAPS 4 doesn't pass when it polls 53 points above water a week before election day lmao.

11. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Why go to the trouble and expense of putting on a vote if you arent going to do everything you can to ensure it's success? By definition, the city is going to support the vote.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderupokc View Post
    A trillion dollar tax increase? WHOA NELLIE we ain’t New York City! please throttle back on the zeroes
    I got a little zero happy. Make that $1,000,000,000. That would be billion.

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

MAPS 4 Election and Voting Information

Early voting: Thursday & Friday, December 5th & 6th: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
    4201 N Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73105

MAPS 4 Election and Voting: Regular voting is 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Tuesday, December 10 at your usual polling location:
    https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-...ng-information
    [See Sample Ballot inside above link]

So while I've read "some" opposition to Maps 4 (primarily on here, but a few other places as well), I've not seen an organized opposition effort this time. Has there been one that I'm missing? The lack of any organized opposition could also explain why the polls are leaning a positive as they evidently are.

15. Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

I early voted today and there were quite a few people streaming in. I'm interested to see what the final voter turnout is.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So while I've read "some" opposition to Maps 4 (primarily on here, but a few other places as well), I've not seen an organized opposition effort this time. Has there been one that I'm missing? The lack of any organized opposition could also explain why the polls are leaning a positive as they evidently are.
    There's never organized , well financed opposition to tax votes.

The people who stand to profit , are willing to spend money on TV, radio, internet ads. And mailers.

Lotsa money behind the yes vote.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post

The people who stand to profit , are willing to spend money on TV, radio, internet ads. And mailers.

Oh, that's not true. I've seen plenty of vote no campaigns on tax initiatives, and there was a pretty organized resistance to MAPS3 (the not my maps group IIRC) that pushed pretty hard on the concept that a vote for MAPS3 was a vote against funding the police and fire.

never??? what about all of the actions by Americans for Tax Reform, and just Grover Norquist before that???

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    never??? what about all of the actions by Americans for Tax Reform, and just Grover Norquist before that???
    Or more recently? Oklahoma Deserves Better which was the (extremely successful) opposition to SQ 779.

Or more recently? Oklahoma Deserves Better which was the (extremely successful) opposition to SQ 779.
    completely forgotten about that one. but yes, and more local

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Oh, that's not true. I've seen plenty of vote no campaigns on tax initiatives, and there was a pretty organized resistance to MAPS3 (the not my maps group IIRC) that pushed pretty hard on the concept that a vote for MAPS3 was a vote against funding the police and fire.
    Do remember the push against MAPS 3. The City finally made good on its promise to include IIRC safety on the GO Bonds initiative; probably why you're not see any organize opposition (as seen by Police & Fire on MAPS 3) to MAPS 4.

Proposed OKC MAPS 4 will hit consumers differently: https://oklahoman.com/article/564485...rs-differently

Boren's penny tax failed because it was a terrible idea , whatever small organized opposition it drew, had no bearing on the outcome. That was just pure folly.

And Grover Norquist opposes every tax , every where. I would not call him " organized opposition " . He's not gonna show up here in OKC and start distributing handbills and putting up yard signs.

But go ahead and nit pik. I promise , there's never been opposition as well financed as the one pushing this terrible idea of MAPS 4.

Blog Entries

That's good spin there.

Blog Entries

Boren's penny tax failed because it was a terrible idea , whatever small organized opposition it drew, had no bearing on the outcome. That was just pure folly.

And Grover Norquist opposes every tax , every where. I would not call him " organized opposition " . He's not gonna show up here in OKC and start distributing handbills and putting up yard signs.

But go ahead and nit pik. I promise , there's never been opposition as well financed as the one pushing this terrible idea of MAPS 4.
    I've been around the Grover Norquist associates here in Oklahoma. Trust me, there is a lot of coordinated opposition to just about any tax. He has a very simplistic message he pedals to the far right leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That's good spin there.
    Lol, how exactly is that spin? They have spent a fairly significant amount of money on ads in the DOK, News 9, a full page in last night’s Thunder game program, signs throughout the city, etc.

Thread Information