Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Default Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    One thing I learned from the lawsuit that I did not realize is the MAPS 4 tax is considered a general revenue tax. The city can collect the taxes and do whatever they want with it. There is no commitment of tax dollars to any of the projects. They could spend all $900M on one project if the city wanted to. Another reason to vote no...I was already a no vote.
    MAPS will be ruined as a concept if the city council ever takes the money and just does something else entirely with it. It has not happened to any significant degree so far, and I do not think there is any good reason to believe it will happen in the future. The council isn't going to risk the MAPS money faucet like that.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    One thing I learned from the lawsuit that I did not realize is the MAPS 4 tax is considered a general revenue tax. The city can collect the taxes and do whatever they want with it. There is no commitment of tax dollars to any of the projects. They could spend all $900M on one project if the city wanted to. Another reason to vote no...I was already a no vote.
    It isn't complicated - they do that, then there will be uproar, and MAPS will be finished. They would never do that, so there is no reason to worry about (haven't in the first 3 iterations of MAPS, and won't now). There are plenty of legitimate reasons to vote no, and in my opinion, this isn't one of them.

I think if they actually gave us a few BLC Projects ($0.5B Aquarium, real highway caps, indoor ski area, etc.), this iteration of MAPS would pass with flying colors.

As it stands, I’d imagine it will struggle to pick up the votes.

I don’t live in OKC - has there been any commercials (radio or tv) against this MAPS?

I agree that this MAPS really should have included a few big ticket items. It’s like getting an extra $50 and putting $10 to each credit card account. What’s the bigger impact? $10 to 5 accounts or $50 to 1 account?

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: Full list of proposed MAPS 4 projects

Top 4 projects (25% of MAPS 4 represents $452 million):

Park enhancements - The MAPS 4 parks package allocates $140 million toward the city’s parks system.

About $63 million is to upgrade every municipal neighborhood and community park outside the central business district. Improvements potentially include bathrooms, playground equipment, shade structures, splashpads, furnishings, trees, paths, activity facilities and signage.

Chesapeake Energy Arena - An allocation of $115 million would fund capital maintenance and provide fan and tenant enhancements to Chesapeake Energy Arena.

Youth centers - A $110 million package would be for the construction of four new youth centers. The centers would include programs such as athletics, arts, family, health and education.

Sidewalks, trails, bike lanes - MAPS 4 would provide $87 million for sidewalks, bike lanes, trails and streetlights.

First, $55 million is for the construction of sidewalks, sidewalk amenities and placemaking, including trees, sustainable infrastructure, landscaping, drainage and public art.

Buses and transit - There is a proposed $87 million in MAPS 4 for transit improvements.

$10 million would improve existing bus stops with lighting at every stop and about 500 new ADA-accessible shelters.

$12 million is for additional buses and signal prioritization to help frequency and reliability of services.

Source: Oklahoman, October 16, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Source: Oklahoman, October 16, 2019
    Should be like this:

Aquarium - 500MM
    Innovation District + Highway Cap - 200MM
    Chesapeake - 100MM
    Canal Expansion - 100MM
    Parks - 50MM
    Placemaking - 25MM

Blog Entries

Chuck5815

Aquarium - $500 million on an Aquarium; this would be a great center piece & tourist attraction for central Oklahoma; wish something in the neighborhood of $300 million plus could have been designated for a World Class Aquarium.

Personally felt that the return on the investment of a MAP 4 Aquarium would have reaped benefits in the form of an economic impact return just thru tourist dollars & notoriety. .

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Should be like this:

Aquarium - 500MM
    Innovation District + Highway Cap - 200MM
    Chesapeake - 100MM
    Canal Expansion - 100MM
    Parks - 50MM
    Placemaking - 25MM
    I'd like to see placemaking/parks combined to be 100MM. Otherwise, I'm in full agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'd like to see placemaking/parks combined to be 100MM. Otherwise, I'm in full agreement.
    That would also get my vote but as it currently stands they will get a Big NO vote from me and mine for the first time in MAPs history.

We can vote at any voting site on December 10, correct?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    We can vote at any voting site on December 10, correct?
    IIRC you'll need vote at your regular voting place or look up your polling place: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-...ng-information

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    IIRC you'll need vote at your regular voting place or look up your polling place: https://www.okc.gov/government/maps-...ng-information
    Thank you

It needs a poll to see how many no and yes votes

This is just a friendly reminder: don’t let yourself or your friends be tricked. Make sure to vote no on this iteration of MAPS.

This is just a friendly reminder: don’t let yourself or your friends be tricked. Make sure to vote no on this iteration of MAPS.
    Agree, this is a MAPS way Too Far

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    Agree, this is a MAPS way Too Far
    exactly. David Holt wants the taxpayers to hand $75MM to Bob Funk for Palomar and a Pee-wee Herman, Little League soccer field. Almost 8% of the MAPS 4 Budget to a man who has been a Hundred-Millionaire for some time now.

Funk has more than enough Temping Cash to secure traditional financing for his pet projects.

definitely encourage your friends, and even enemies, to show up early and often to vote no.

exactly. David Holt wants the taxpayers to hand $75MM to Bob Funk for Palomar and a Pee-wee Herman, Little League soccer field. Almost 8% of the MAPS 4 Budget to a man who has been a Hundred-Millionaire for some time now.

Funk has more than enough Temping Cash to secure traditional financing for his pet projects.

definitely encourage your friends, and even enemies, to show up early and often to vote no.
    So you are in favor of cutting off your nose to spite your face? Good to know.

Odds are against us, they scheduled this first week of Dec to get a low turnout, which will greatly favor the yes vote.

MAPS has become what the critics of the original MAPS said that one would be ........... they were wrong for a while, but eventually got there.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    So you are in favor of cutting off your nose to spite your face? Good to know.
    Good to know that you are comfortable asking the broke single mothers of OKC to subsidize a little league soccer field to benefit one of the city’s richest men. Says a lot about you.

Nobody cared about these poor moms when it comes to a stadium for multiple millionaires over and over again to keep a group of millionaires in town chasing after a basketball.

It’s a “**** Funk” and/or “**** soccer” issue and not a “regressive tax on the poor to benefit the rich is evil” issue, don’t let people lie on here. Every argument against the soccer stadium applies to the Peake, and has applied to the Peake since (before) we got the Thunder. And people have been okay with that, and are still OK with that.

After calming down for five minutes this was harsher than it needed to be, I’m sorry. I just feel like there is a double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    It needs a poll to see how many no and yes votes
    Emphatic NO from me

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    After calming down for five minutes this was harsher than it needed to be, I’m sorry. I just feel like there is a double standard.
    Well, of course there is, but:

Basketball >> Soccer
    Aubrey McClendon > Bob Funk
    Fairly clear and reasonable path to an NBA franchise >>> murky and circuitous, outside shot at an MLS franchise

But does the ownership have the money to pay for everything Thunder related in this current MAPS?

Or is it okay to burden the poor single mothers as long as we get a good product out of it?

That’s my main issue with this stance.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    But does the ownership have the money to pay for everything Thunder related in this current MAPS?

Or is it okay to burden the poor single mothers as long as we get a good product out of it?

That’s my main issue with this stance.
    Yea, I suppose they absolutely could but the stadium is not theirs to maintain.

I’d be more on board with soccer if it were apparent that OKC was on a short list for expansion.

Thread Information