Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aquarium

Default Re: Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    I don't think it's strange. I think they're forcing this project onto the ballot. There had to be somebody with power who hated this idea, and that's why they didn't get one of the presentation slots. Once they realized they weren't going to get a fair hearing, they decided to show it to the public at the moment when it would have the most impact. That's a week before the city council is supposed to vote on it.

Show this to the public three months ago? People get excited and then forget about it. Do it now? Much better chance of forcing it in.
    Agreed. I think its perfect timing.

I don't think it's strange. I think they're forcing this project onto the ballot. There had to be somebody with power who hated this idea, and that's why they didn't get one of the presentation slots. Once they realized they weren't going to get a fair hearing, they decided to show it to the public at the moment when it would have the most impact. That's a week before the city council is supposed to vote on it.

Show this to the public three months ago? People get excited and then forget about it. Do it now? Much better chance of forcing it in.
    yep

YES!!! 100% on board with this!!!

Look at the popularity of the Georgia Aquarium in downtown Atlanta. This could be such a game-changer for us! It would do so much for that end of the canal, that end of the city, the visuals from the highway...so much potential!

I've long wanted a great aquarium here, but the thought of having it on the zoo property wasn't something I was particularly excited about. This proposal is simply awesome!

Blog Entries

Realizing that this, if on the MAPS slate, wouldn't get built for a number of years, it would be nice if we could have the adventure rail line or at least a bus route/shuttle connecting this attraction with the zoo proper, so folks with an "all access" zoo pass (if such a thing would exist by then) could get between both sites without needing a car since they're staying in one of the downtown hotels...

Having worked on public projects with the city for twenty years, this last-minute push is political ineptitude. The city doesn't move that fast and the projects have already been determined. To change all of the commitments would involve going back to the leaders of each project and informing them how much each project is getting cut to provide the 100 million+ dollar amount.

You guys do realize that the agenda for MAPS comes out tomorrow? To make a sweeping change to the resolution language would probably involve dozens of people that would all have to literally agree to do this today .

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Realizing that this, if on the MAPS slate, wouldn't get built for a number of years, it would be nice if we could have the adventure rail line or at least a bus route/shuttle connecting this attraction with the zoo proper, so folks with an "all access" zoo pass (if such a thing would exist by then) could get between both sites without needing a car since they're staying in one of the downtown hotels...
    I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Am I missing something? All I see in the renderings and video's is a video wall, a canal and a café...where is the actual aquarium....where they are keeping the fish? If this is going to be a world class aquarium, it is going to have to be more than a giant electrical billboard with a canal running next to it. I would like to see rendering of world class displays of marine life.
    MAPS is about thinking big! An aquarium without fish is the exact type of innovation that can make OKC stand out!

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    Especially if they allow for entry on both ends. To be able to get on and off on both ends of the Canal would be great. Since they're already extending it, go ahead and build all the components necessary for entry on this end. Ticket Booth and a round area to turn around in and anchor or whatever its called in this case. An ACTUAL water taxi.
    Totally agree. Hope I didn't come off as hating on the water taxi. For what it is, I've seen it usually packed with people when I'm in Bricktown. I just feel like it more of a novelty when it could be be at least somewhat useful if there was a destination to go to/come from. This aquarium would definitely be that.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    MAPS is about thinking big! An aquarium without fish is the exact type of innovation that can make OKC stand out!
    An aquarium where people are the exhibits.... PEOPLE!

It's kind of funny how much more widespread the support and enthusiasm is for this project seems to be than for any other proposed project. If the MAPS projects are already determined, well, they better make changes. The MAPS projects will not only be discussed based on what's included, but now based on what's excluded if the aquarium doesn't make it. A segment of citizens may vote against MAPS if it doesn't include the aquarium. What an unexpected turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Having worked on public projects with the city for twenty years, this last-minute push is political ineptitude. The city doesn't move that fast and the projects have already been determined. To change all of the commitments would involve going back to the leaders of each project and informing them how much each project is getting cut to provide the 100 million+ dollar amount.

You guys do realize that the agenda for MAPS comes out tomorrow? To make a sweeping change to the resolution language would probably involve dozens of people that would all have to literally agree to do this today .
    Too bad. They cheated the selection process by not giving the Zoo a proper chance to present their proposal.

If Maps fails because this Aquarium was left off, the blood will be on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    An aquarium where people are the exhibits.... PEOPLE!
    Be the fish you wish to see in the aquarium. - Ghandi

When do we think NewsOK will have it on their website? Who will they give credit to? I realize this was public record (most likely) but Pete did the legwork and got it out there when no one else did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Totally agree. Hope I didn't come off as hating on the water taxi. For what it is, I've seen it usually packed with people when I'm in Bricktown. I just feel like it more of a novelty when it could be be at least somewhat useful if there was a destination to go to/come from. This aquarium would definitely be that.
    There should actually be 2 separate types of water taxis. One for tours, and one for transit.

Big yes from me, both on the aquarium plan and the canal extension. This needs to be on the MAPS4 ballot or the council is screwing up big time.

Wow! Yes Please!!!

Blog Entries

Worth budgeting $150 million on the initial project, Zoo could add more with their 1/8 cent sales tax funding ($16-18 million annually). This would be a great core tourist attraction near our convention center complex.

As mentioned on Ideas for MAPS thread #1524, I've identified 10 projects totaling $675 million using the highest estimate so far:

Animal Shelter $40 million, Bus Transit $87.2 million, Chesapeake Arena enhancements $135 million, Diversion Hub $18 million, Family Justice Center (Palomar) $37 million, Freedom Center $25 million, Homeless Housing $40 million, Innovation Link $100 million, Multipurpose Stadium $72 million & State Fair Coliseum $120 million. Some funding for sidewalks & trails are apart of 2017 GoBonds passage. Protected bike lanes will need to be addressed.

Aquarian would be worth its investment; a complementary tourist piece.

I've confirmed council will vote on the MAPS 4 slate on Tuesday.

Won't know the details until the put the agenda out late Friday afternoon. Hopefully they fully list the proposed projects and budgets.

If this is on the ballot then I would feel a lot better about voting yes on a soccer stadium. Putting both of these on the Co-Op site would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Be the fish you wish to see in the aquarium. - Ghandi
    Spock tried that and he got thrown out of the exhibit.

I haven't seen this much excitement for a maps project ever.

22. Default Re: Aquarium

It is frustrating how many people on social media are completely oblivious to the fact that education and highways are state issues and have nothing to do with MAPS. Seems like any proposal that comes up gets attacked because it isn't addressing those two things, as if a state can't make improvements in multiple areas at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    Too bad. They cheated the selection process by not giving the Zoo a proper chance to present their proposal.

If Maps fails because this Aquarium was left off, the blood will be on their hands.
    Maybe. It polled so badly though it was kicked to the curb.

Having worked several campaigns it is best to start early and focus on voter education so they understand what the initiative is. The Gazette was extremely helpful ten years ago as was OKCTALK in educating the public and policymakers about a fairly complicated endeavor (the streetcar). The Aquarium doesn't seem that complicated as a concept but I think a great many people would ask why the Zoo is supporting a location that isn't at the Zoo.

If they were serious about this they should have started meaningfully educating the public months ago. Getting nine people to agree on anything is like herding cats. Getting MAPS to include things like this takes a lot more work then some last-minute surprise.

Not sure if I missed it elsewhere in this thread but Holt keeps tweeting something to the effect of “this won’t be on MAPS 4 but the conversation shouldn’t end here”

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    It is frustrating how many people on social media are completely oblivious to the fact that education and highways are state issues and have nothing to do with MAPS. Seems like any proposal that comes up gets attacked because it isn't addressing those two things, as if a state can't make improvements in multiple areas at the same time.
    Just like when schools build new facilities through voter-passed bonds and everyone gripes about teacher pay.

Our laws literally prohibit using bond money for on-going school expenses.

Many don't understand the concept of different funding sources.

Thread Information