Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 320

Thread: Aquarium

  1. #26

    Default Re: Aquarium

    The surface facing I-40 would actually be a video wall:


  2. #27

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The question is: why were they not give the same opportunity to present as the other proposals?
    Because it polled absolutely terribly. That may have been how the question or questions were asked. I am a bit confused though. So the zoo wants it at the canal?

  3. #28

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Because it polled absolutely terribly. That may have been how the question or questions were asked. I am a bit confused though. So the zoo wants it at the canal?
    I know Twitter fandom != polling, but do you think the discrepancy in support we're seeing between prior polling and this announcement is due solely to the availability of renderings?

  4. #29

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Because it polled absolutely terribly. That may have been how the question or questions were asked. I am a bit confused though. So the zoo wants it at the canal?
    Yes, the zoo wants it downtown.

    And what polling do you mean? The polling by the chamber that is never made public?

    That can't be used as a reason and also have the city claim we have a transparent process.

  5. #30

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Another video that better demonstrates the video wall.

    All these animations and renderings are done by Skyline Ink here in OKC, and they do simply amazing work.


  6. #31

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Because it polled absolutely terribly. That may have been how the question or questions were asked. I am a bit confused though. So the zoo wants it at the canal?

    an aquarium didn't poll terribly

  7. #32

    Default Re: Aquarium

    If it ends up looking anything remotely like that, it will be incredible.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Another video that better demonstrates the video wall.

    All these animations and renderings are done by Skyline Ink here in OKC, and they do simply amazing work.

    Very cool. Would it not be considered a distraction to drivers?

    Also, I assume we shouldn't be reading anything into the rest of the buildings shown down in the Producers land, right?

  9. #34

    Default Re: Aquarium

    ^

    The rest of the coop stuff is highly conceptual.

  10. #35

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Based on social media reaction this is a slam dunk. I haven’t seen a single person who isn’t in love with the idea.

  11. #36

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And what polling do you mean? The polling by the chamber that is never made public?
    Yes. That is exactly what I mean. I'm not defending this but am just saying apparently it was at the bottom of the poll. This location may have had something to do with it. Generally speaking, likely voters are against anything involving significant downtown investment.

    The zoo would have been better off proposing it at the zoo rather than downtown if they wanted it included. People love the zoo. I love our zoo too.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Yes. That is exactly what I mean. I'm not defending this but am just saying apparently it was at the bottom of the poll. This location may have had something to do with it. Generally speaking, likely voters are against anything involving significant downtown investment.

    The zoo would have been better off proposing it at the zoo rather than downtown if they wanted it included. People love the zoo. I love our zoo too.
    I'm not buying into any poll data unless it is made public and we understand the methodology and how the questions were asked.

    And it should not be used for making public decisions.

  13. #38

    Default Re: Aquarium

    The post on Instagram has nearly 2,000 likes in the first hour. Blowing up on Facebook and Twitter too.

    Based on the comments here and everywhere else, I don't believe for a minute this project isn't wildly popular.

  14. #39

    Default Re: Aquarium

    AQUARIUM >>> State Fair Park Arena

  15. #40

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm not buying into any poll data unless it is made public and we understand the methodology and how the questions were asked.

    And it should not be used for making public decisions.
    The Chamber runs the MAPS campaigns. Their opinions and their data typically always influence our policymakers in their decision-making process.

  16. #41

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    The Chamber runs the MAPS campaigns. Their opinions and their data typically always influence our policymakers in their decision-making process.
    I completely understand that.

    Doesn't make it right; and in fact, this project seems to demonstrate that approach is completely wrong.

  17. #42

    Default Re: Aquarium

    They could have literally any other projects as part of Maps 4, and if this was included I would be a 100% supporter.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Put the aquarium at Producers Coop, Put the soccer stadium at Farmers Market. Boom we lit. This is definitely dreaming big

  19. #44

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The post on Instagram has nearly 2,000 likes in the first hour. Blowing up on Facebook and Twitter too.

    Based on the comments here and everywhere else, I don't believe for a minute this project isn't wildly popular.
    It’s also depressing how many people need a civics class.

    Fix the highway interchanges first! :facepalm:

  20. #45

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Yes. That is exactly what I mean. I'm not defending this but am just saying apparently it was at the bottom of the poll. This location may have had something to do with it. Generally speaking, likely voters are against anything involving significant downtown investment.

    The zoo would have been better off proposing it at the zoo rather than downtown if they wanted it included. People love the zoo. I love our zoo too.
    this project doesn't make finacial sense at the zoo

  21. #46

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    It’s also depressing how many people need a civics class.

    Fix the highway interchanges first! :facepalm:
    The ignorance of OKC citizens is insane. They should, by now, know MAPS only funds capital improvements. Not a cent can help pay teachers more. It is against the state constitution. Therefore, sales and property taxes created by these projects are more important.

  22. #47

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    They could have literally any other projects as part of Maps 4, and if this was included I would be a 100% supporter.
    this was my thought as well... if this is on the proposal for MAPS 4... they just got me to vote for a soccer stadium... because i want this...

  23. #48

    Default Re: Aquarium

    This would mean the water taxi would actually have a destination; a place to take people and pick them up.

    We already have a crazy amount of hotel rooms (with more coming) in and near Bricktown. Imagine all those people taking a nice boat ride or walk along the canal to go visit the aquarium.

    And in turn, it would bring much-needed traffic to the canal itself. Let's face it, development along the canal leaves something to be desired and needs a shot in the arm.

    This project would leverage much of what already have, including previous MAPS investments.

  24. #49

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Am I missing something? All I see in the renderings and video's is a video wall, a canal and a café...where is the actual aquarium....where they are keeping the fish? If this is going to be a world class aquarium, it is going to have to be more than a giant electrical billboard with a canal running next to it. I would like to see rendering of world class displays of marine life.

  25. #50

    Default Re: Aquarium

    Wish these renderings could have been released back in June or July during the hype. Hope it's not too late. Thanks, Pete.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. oklahoma aquarium
    By Jesseda in forum Tulsa & Suburbs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
  2. Downtown Aquarium
    By king183 in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM
  3. Aquarium in downtown....
    By CrueJones in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
  4. Will OKC ever get an aquarium? I want one SO bad!!!!
    By ETL in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 02:32 PM
  5. Aquarium Heaters
    By Leon in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 12:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO