Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Default Re: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    I wouldn’t mind a nice family theater where people won’t care if your kids can’t sit still for an entire movie and might ask questions at times.
    Stay far away from me! LOL

That’s what’s great about the summer movie series that the various theaters put on. You pretty much know it will be miserable there, so it’s your own fault if you show up!

Some theaters have the sealed rooms for kids, but it’s nice to have a good option.

3. Default Re: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

My son and I went recently to see Shaft at the NorthPark theater. We had a good experience, and had planned to go again to see other movies. Sorry to see that they have closed.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    It really is. My first job was at AMC Quail Springs 24. They opened December 18, 1998, replacing the AMC Memorial Square 8 just across Penn. I worked there in the very early 2000's, when I turned 16. As for the Quail Twin, it shut down in September of 1989 - according to this article from the Daily Oklahoman.
    Well then you're probably not old enough to remember, but those would have all closed right after PennSquare reopened with the nicest movie theater in town, spring 1988. Forgot all about the Reding 4, that building is still there.

Northpark, what a great spot to feel like a kid and go see a movie on a crappy screen with crappy seats and bad sound. I hope someone keeps it open, but i'm fine if they don't do any upgrades! Walking in there was like walking into the Gage 4 theater in Topeka. Sweet nostalgia.

It's always enjoyable and nostalgic to feel the rats running by your feet during the movie in an old theater like that. Sad they are closing.

That was my favorite HS theater back in the 70's but I haven't had any desire to go back as it just seemed so incredibly sad.

ugh. it's completely illogical but hearing about the closing of northpark 7 hits me in the feels just a little... I don't recall ever seeing a movie there but my oldest brother must have watched pulp fiction a dozen times in that theatre in the 90's... we lost him unexpectedly a few months ago in march.

^

Oh wow, I'm really sorry to hear that.

10. Default Re: AMC NorthPark 7 Closed

I haven’t been there in years. In fact I haven’t been to more than a couple movies in years. But I went to Northpark and waited in line for hours for the first Star Wars when I was in high school. Sad to see it go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Well then you're probably not old enough to remember, but those would have all closed right after PennSquare reopened with the nicest movie theater in town, spring 1988. Forgot all about the Reding 4, that building is still there.
    Yeah, the info I can find says that the Quail Twin held on for a little while after Memorial Square opened, but they just couldn't compete between Northpark and Memorial Square. Funny you should mention Penn Square, though - I worked there too! I was a projectionist there for a couple of years in the mid-to-late 2k's when it was owned by Dickinson. Penn Square's been through several operators since they opened on May 19th, 1988 under the General Cinemas banner. In '97 it flipped to Hollywood. Hollywood shut it down in September 2001, and a year later on November 1st, 2002, Dickinson opened it back up, operating it up until Dickinson went bankrupt in late 2012. They closed on October 28th, 2012, and AMC reopened the theater the next month.

I wish I had a picture of it, but at Penn Square, there was one wall near the make-up table (the workbench where films were assembled, inspected, and disassembled) where every projectionist in that booth since opening day had written their name and years of service... Of course when I left, I added my name to the list. A friend of a friend worked there when AMC took over, and she said the list was still there and had grown... but her position was eliminated when the film projectors were replaced with digital projectors. No idea if that list is still there on that wall, but I really hope it is. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a similar list somewhere in the booth at Northpark.

best theater to sneak beers into. hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I wish I had a picture of it, but at Penn Square, there was one wall near the make-up table (the workbench where films were assembled, inspected, and disassembled) where every projectionist in that booth since opening day had written their name and years of service... Of course when I left, I added my name to the list. A friend of a friend worked there when AMC took over, and she said the list was still there and had grown... but her position was eliminated when the film projectors were replaced with digital projectors. No idea if that list is still there on that wall, but I really hope it is. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if there was a similar list somewhere in the booth at Northpark.
    That's very cool. Might be a story in there; interview all the past projectionists.

I guess we’ll find out what AMC had in mind for a refresh, as they are currently going through an extensive renovation of a dollar theater in Norman. Will be interesting to find out what that new theater is like.

Thread Information