Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Default Residential Electric lawn mower?

I'm giving serious thought about upgrading my lawn mower from gas to electric power. If any of you have had a good recommendation/experience with an electric lawn mower I would appreciate your insight!

I don't want to invest my hard earned money on a mower that can't 'cut it'. Help? residential

2. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

I've been mowing with an Ego brand rechargeable mower for a few years now. Love it. Zero issues with it. I also use their weed eater, chainsaw, tree trimer, blower, etc.

Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

This is only our second year using it, but our Kobalt has been great. We will never go back to a gas powered mower. The electric ones are so much quieter and easier to maintain.

I can also vouch for the Ego brand. I use them for all of lawn care stuff for two years now and haven't had any issues.

I've been using a Greenworks Lawnmower for the past three years and love it -- the advantages of battery power over small gasoline engines is tremendous. It always starts the first time, has absolutely no odor, is fairly quiet, no excess heat from the motor, no need to purchase or store gasoline. I liked the mower so much I ended up getting a string trimmer, hedge clipper, blower, and tiller.

6. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

I don't have the mower, but I can second the recommendation for the Ego products. I have the weed trimmer, hedge trimmer and blower and they've been fantastic.

If I didn't have a relatively new and well-working gas mower I would spring for the full line of Ego stuff.

On top of everything else, the mower folds and then you can stand it on its end to store when not in use. You can't do that with a regular mower without spilling oil and gas all over the place; or completely draining it which is a hassle in itself.

It's a small thing but it matters to me, as I have a neat and tidy garage and all year long I have a mower taking up space even when my grass is dormant during the fall and winter.

Maybe next spring I'll Craigslist my current mower and go all-in on Ego.

8. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Pete my Toro gas powered is designed for fold up storage and stands on end.

With that said... had I known about these when I bought it two years ago... I would have gone this route just to dump the hassle of filling and storing gas cans.

I may start down the Ego path this fall and buy one of their high-powered blowers.

I have a big backyard with over 30 trees and I have to find a better way of dealing with the avalanche of leaves that fall over a period of about 4 months.

10. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I may start down the Ego path this fall and buy one of their high-powered blowers.

I have a big backyard with over 30 trees and I have to find a better way of dealing with the avalanche of leaves that fall over a period of about 4 months.
    We had their backpack blower and got rid of it and got their handheld wand style. Love it. That said, we do also have a commercial gas one (two+ acres of trees) but the EGO gets used several times a week for the patios, garage and such.

My first Ego purchase was the weed eater. Loved it.

We buy all our Ego products used online. Never once had an issue.

Only thing to keep in mind, if the battery sits more than 30 days on the charger it discharges to like 30%. I have a wall of 8 batteries, so I have to keep them in rotation.

11. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

I've got a little over an acre and the weed trimmer with the 2500Ah battery lasts for almost all my trimming needs. But since I purchased my other Ego products with batteries and chargers I always have an battery ready to go when one runs out. I use a zero turn for my yard and have a small push mower for the parts I can't get to with the zero turn. Whenever that one dies I plan on getting one of the Ego mowers to fill in for that duty. It's amazing how much power their trimmers have while still being able to last a long time.

When I first started looking into buying a new weed trimmer a coworker let me borrow his Ego so I could see how well it worked and how long it lasted. I had it over a weekend and by Monday I was sold on it. The only thing I miss about my old gas blower is that it also had the ability to be used as a vacuum and mulcher. Worked great for those fall leaves.

I bought a Ryobi 40v 20in electric lawn mower this year and I love it. I have a smaller lot, but it usually only uses about 50-60% of the battery to do my entire yard - even when it's high/thick.

Like Pete mentioned about the Ego, it folds up and stands on it's end. That was a big deal for me. Ryobi makes a more expensive self-propelled version, but I wouldn't recommend it. The mower is already light and easy to push, the propulsion would just use more battery.

I appreciate all the great recommendations! Love it! One more question: is there a better time when to purchase an electric mower? Do prices drop any during fall/winter months so a mower is discounted? Anyone know?

I have a Snapper XD and mulch everything. It comes with two batteries, 82 volts, and handles my flat 1/3 acre lot just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    I appreciate all the great recommendations! Love it! One more question: is there a better time when to purchase an electric mower? Do prices drop any during fall/winter months so a mower is discounted? Anyone know?
    Home Depot/Lowe’s has their Black Friday and Spring Black Friday sales. But you can also catch weed eaters and mowers on sale at the end of mowing season

Also check the clearance section of both Lowe’s and Home Depot. I don’t see much from EGO. But at any given time there is usually Black and Decker, Ryobi and other battery powered lawn equipment.

This is my third season with the Kobalt 80v mower from Lowe's. It has been great and is easily as powerful as a gas mower. Came with two batteries that last about 40 minutes each. They charge in 30 minutes or so and that let's you mow/trim all day. I also got the trimmer, cultivator, and backpack blower. The 80v trimmer can accept universal attachments but if I recall the 40v model does not. There is a chainsaw and a pole saw available that use the same battery.

Since the mower came with two batteries, I just bought the "equipment only" version of the other tools from the website. That saved a ton over the models that include the battery. They have a new version of the mower available this year with an even more powerful and longer lasting battery. I may pick that up next year. The only knock may be that the mower blade is too thin to sharpen. A new blade runs about $20. All in all, I highly recommend the electric setup.

I bought the EGO 56V self-propelled mower a couple weeks ago at Home Depot - that thing is awesome. Battery should last long enough to mow any regular residential-sized lawn, but even if it didn't it charges super fast anyway. I don't store mine vertically but having the ability to easily bring it vertical to clean the built-up grass on the bottom is a huge plus. You can tote the thing around like a rolly suitcase lol. I'm super pleased with it so far, and the reviews on Home Depot's website as well as sentiment on this thread can back that up.

Glad to see there are at least some of us who still do our own lawn work!

I've always found it therapeutic and satisfying.

19. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Same along with my farm work on the weekends.... I started mowing lawns commercially when I was 10 years old and I still take a lot of pride in having one of the nicest yards on the block. When I moved in 6 years ago my lawn was dirt and dandelions and now there isn't a dandelion in sight.

This, with my flower and shrub gardening (basic mowing/edging/blowing gets farmed out). Almost-instant gratification, unlike so many other things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Same along with my farm work on the weekends.... I started mowing lawns commercially when I was 10 years old and I still take a lot of pride in having one of the nicest yards on the block. When I moved in 6 years ago my lawn was dirt and dandelions and now there isn't a dandelion in sight.
    I'll have to post a before and after of my yard... It was a nightmare of dirt and weeds when I bought my house a couple of years ago.

Still trying to get rid of some crabgrass but already looks a million times better.

22. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Looks like Ego takes the cake on Consumer reports. (also hope everyone knows you get Consumer Reports included in your OKC Metro Library Card!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 2.20.10 PM.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	15556

23. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Still trying to get rid of some crabgrass but already looks a million times better.
    I'm constantly battling it creeping from my neighbors yards but for the most part have eradicated it from mine.

One of my neighbors always comments on how nice mine looks and I told her she was mowing hers to short. I even set her mower to the correct height for her a few years ago and then in the spring she dropped it back down and scalps it every week.... Her weeds love it!

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Looks like Ego takes the cake on Consumer reports. (also hope everyone knows you get Consumer Reports included in your OKC Metro Library Card!)
    I wasn't aware of Consumer Reports being included with a library card. Thanks for letting us know!

25. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    I wasn't aware of Consumer Reports being included with a library card. Thanks for letting us know!
    You bet! http://ezproxy.metrolibrary.org:2048...y&groupid=main

That is the link and you login with your Library Card number and your last name as the password. I have it saved in my bookmarks!

Thread Information