Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My EGO trimmer has been a disaster.

It will not feed line correctly no matter what I do and the line is so far up on the trimming head I can't get it to cut low around fencelines and other objects.

And with that big battery, it's awkward to use.

Really like the hedge trimmer and blower, though.
    Interesting. I never even thought about battery lawn equipment until this thread popped up last year. My gas trimmer bit the dust last July. Decided to pull the trigger on a battery one and a lot of people were saying good things about the EGO brand up thread so just went for the EGO. I've been pretty happy with it so far going into a year of having it. Was planning on going for the EGO mower when my current gas mower eventually calls it quits.

2. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Interesting. I never even thought about battery lawn equipment until this thread popped up last year. My gas trimmer bit the dust last July. Decided to pull the trigger on a battery one and a lot of people were saying good things about the EGO brand up thread so just went for the EGO. I've been pretty happy with it so far going into a year of having it. Was planning on going for the EGO mower when my current gas mower eventually calls it quits.
    Yeah, that's a bummer about Pete's experience with the Ego trimmer. I'm in my 2nd season with mine and I love it. I have the blower and the hedge trimmer too. I have an older Toro push mower I use for spots that I can't get effectively with my riding mower, but when that reaches the end of its life, I'm definitely considering the Ego push mower to replace it.

My EGO trimmer has been a disaster.

It will not feed line correctly no matter what I do and the line is so far up on the trimming head I can't get it to cut low around fencelines and other objects.

And with that big battery, it's awkward to use.

Really like the hedge trimmer and blower, though.
    Pete, this is interesting about your trimmer. I initially had a bit of trouble threading the weed trimmer cord but once I had it installed the trimmer has worked great. Sorry you've had struggles with it.

The mower is fantastic! Lots of power, quiet and storing it is amazing. I ended up with the self propelled EGO mower by mistake but the self propelled feature works great and has little impact on the battery usage thus far.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the EGO trimmer to feed line. It never worked correctly out of the box.

I finally called their customer service line (after watching all types of youtube videos) and the wait was so long I just had them call me back.

Took several hours for the return call then spent 50 (!) minutes on the phone, culminating in them promising to send a brand new trimmer.

The guy was very helpful but it took forever.

Should get the new unit soon and hopefully it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    The mower is fantastic! Lots of power, quiet and storing it is amazing. I ended up with the self propelled EGO mower by mistake but the self propelled feature works great and has little impact on the battery usage thus far.
    My old gas mower died on me when I was 90 percent through today’s mow. Instead of trying to fix it I just immediately went out and bought the EGO mower. Only had a few passes left to try it out but I am already impressed with it. I picked up the EGO edger a month ago It’s also surprisingly powerful imo.

Rushkoff talks about how odd it is that neighbors don't share a mower... anyone know of anyone
    that does that? Sounds like a great idea to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSteveHunt View Post
    Rushkoff talks about how odd it is that neighbors don't share a mower... anyone know of anyone
    that does that? Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Almost no one cuts their own grass anymore.

In my own modest neighborhood, none of my neighbors do.

9. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

I'm the only one on my street except an older Vietnam Vet who takes great care of his lawn.

10. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

That's odd to me. Nearly everyone in our HOA (only 28 houses) cuts their own yards. I only know of one home that pays for lawn service, but and they are pretty elderly, so that's no surprise.

On my street in Shepherd, it's probably 50/50. If you ever get a chance, take a drive through the neighborhood. It's very competitive for Yard of the Month.

+1. I am in a upper middle class neighborhood and most around me hire it out. It bothers me when they have male teenagers home and hire it out. Need to teach our children to work and take pride in our property. I do it because it is good exercise and I like the sense of accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    +1. I am in a upper middle class neighborhood and most around me hire it out. It bothers me when they have male teenagers home and hire it out. Need to teach our children to work and take pride in our property. I do it because it is good exercise and I like the sense of accomplishment.
    I am in neighborhood of 26 homes all 5-6 acres. Only 4 people hire out their lawn mowing. We mow our own but I do have a yard guy come every two weeks to edge and weed eat as it kills my back and takes several hours to do the whole property

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    dang, no joke!

I'm still impressed with mine. It's holding its own very well.
    My old gas mower died on me when I was 90 percent through today’s mow. Instead of trying to fix it I just immediately went out and bought the EGO mower. Only had a few passes left to try it out but I am already impressed with it. I picked up the EGO edger a month ago It’s also surprisingly powerful imo.

I posted about my horrible experience with the EGO trimmer (love the blower and hedge trimmer) and how they promised to send me a new one.

That hasn't happened and now have stopped returning my emails.

I'm going to have to break down and go buy another trimmer and if and when I finally get the EGO replacement, I'll sell in on-line or on Craigslist.

Went to parents last night to mow and the mower died... gotta get a new one. The curse of OKCTALK is real!!!

Thread Information