Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Just bought the EGO 21" self propelled cordless mower and EGO weed eater. Batteries are charging and my fingers are crossed that they perform as well as most of the reviews state. It would be great to NOT have to mess with oil/gas and the aroma they emit like from my gas mowers. I started the new mower briefly and I must say it sounds like it'll have plenty of power. Once the grass is tall enough for my first mowing I'll see how much power it actually has. If successful the cordless mower could be a game changer for a lot of people.

2. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    Just bought the EGO 21" self propelled cordless mower and EGO weed eater. Batteries are charging and my fingers are crossed that they perform as well as most of the reviews state. It would be great to NOT have to mess with oil/gas and the aroma they emit like from my gas mowers. I started the new mower briefly and I must say it sounds like it'll have plenty of power. Once the grass is tall enough for my first mowing I'll see how much power it actually has. If successful the cordless mower could be a game changer for a lot of people.
    You should like it. I just used mine this morning. Only things it doesn't do as well as my gas mower are: it's no good with wet grass and it's not very good at mulching up heavy leaf fall.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    You should like it. I just used mine this morning. Only things it doesn't do as well as my gas mower are: it's no good with wet grass and it's not very good at mulching up heavy leaf fall.
    Good info, thanks! I plan on using the mulcher most of the time but the conditions will have to be just right it sounds like. Can you mow all your yard space with one charge or does it take more than one charge?

4. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Good info, thanks! I plan on using the mulcher most of the time but the conditions will have to be just right it sounds like. Can you mow all your yard space with one charge or does it take more than one charge?
    Well... I'm on 2.5 acres... so. No. I actually have mowed the entire thing with it a few times when my Zero Turn was in the shop. Had to change out the batteries and just keep going. I have a quick charger too, so it doesn't take long between charges (enough time to weed eat, etc.).

If mulching leaves, I try and do it between mows or every few days. If the leaves get thick the mower will bog down and it drains the battery.

I'm giving serious thought about upgrading my lawn mower from gas to electric power. If any of you have had a good recommendation/experience with an electric lawn mower I would appreciate your insight!

I don't want to invest my hard earned money on a mower that can't 'cut it'. Help? residential
    that's not really an upgrade imo, but if you're going to do it, make sure to get a Swardman. you won't be sorry:

https://www.swardman.com/us/reel-mowers/

6. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    that's not really an upgrade imo, but if you're going to do it, make sure to get a Swardman. you won't be sorry:

https://www.swardman.com/us/reel-mowers/
    $3,000 (to start), for a walk behind electric mower -- if nothing else, my wallet would be sorry.

Took my new EGO battery powered mower out for the first time today. I'm greatly surprised how quietly it runs and how much power it has! Plus the self-propelled feature was extra strong. My yard is fairly small so there was plenty of battery life left. Of course this was day 1. We'll see how things go by the end of the mowing season.

I've thought about going the EGO route. I'd be interested in your review midseason if you don't mind giving an update.

9. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

I mow with mine weekly and have for a few years now. Zero issues.

I noticed the other day that Home Depot on Broadway in Edmond had 4 returned units for sale in the parking lot. Two looked brand new. $199 each - a steal as long as you get the battery and charger with it. I saw at least two had those things.

I just bought the Ego wand blower and holy heck that thing has power. Made quick work of my huge backyard with dozens of trees.

I'll buy the line trimmer and hedge trimmer next but my gas mower is fine for now; will be looking for a reason to replace it with the Ego version.

11. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Saw this for a first time the other day....

Neighbor has an electric mower, not self-propelled. It's a corded one, didn't catch the brand.

Anyway, he always has to move quite slowly because it mulches, but darned if when he was done ALL of the dandylions he had in his yard are STILL STANDING! The grass is all cut but those dandylions are standing like trees on the plains. It's so funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just bought the Ego wand blower and holy heck that thing has power. Made quick work of my huge backyard with dozens of trees.

I'll buy the line trimmer and hedge trimmer next but my gas mower is fine for now; will be looking for a reason to replace it with the Ego version.
    I also bought the EGO Weed Eater and it has a ton of power and its weight is fairly light.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I've thought about going the EGO route. I'd be interested in your review midseason if you don't mind giving an update.
    Sure, I'd be glad to!

Does anyone use/have an electric zero-turn? I see a few models at Lowes and HD but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.

15. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Does anyone use/have an electric zero-turn? I see a few models at Lowes and HD but I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.
    I'm dying for one of my neighbors to get one so I can try it. My concerns however are;
    1. ) I need an affordable option that is wider than 42" (I have approx. 2.5 acres).
    2.) I see no way to power my pull behind sprayer. This is a deal breaker as I save a ton of money by spraying my own yard.
    3.) I have my doubts that there is enough power to handle a fairly steep hill I have that leads to my pond.
    4.) Looks like current models lack the amenities my commercial zero turn has (shocks all around, including the seat, upgraded build overall).

I have a Ryobi 40V lithium brushless electric mower and it's the best lawn mower I've ever had. It's not self propelled, but it's extremely lightweight so it's not an issue. It cuts beautifully and the battery is long lasting. If you have a larger front and backyard like I do, you might want to buy an extra battery so you're not waiting to charge your one battery before mowing the next swath. Highly recommend!

17. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Robot lawn mowers are dropping in price now days. Great solution that just does its own thing. Just a few years ago they were 3500 for a 1.25 acre model. That has dropped a ton already.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Robot lawn mowers are dropping in price now days. Great solution that just does its own thing. Just a few years ago they were 3500 for a 1.25 acre model. That has dropped a ton already.
    Very interesting idea. I see a highy-rated Worx version for under $1K.

Edging and blowing would remain, however. And you can't bag the clippings.

Update: I've used my new battery powered mower/weed eater several times this summer. I can report it works GREAT! I'm shocked how much power they have in addition to how quickly the batteries charge up. Beyond that I like how quiet they run. Plus they are easy to clean because there is no oil/gas for grass clippings to cling to. At this point I'd have to give this an A+ for exceeding expectations.

My EGO trimmer has been a disaster.

It will not feed line correctly no matter what I do and the line is so far up on the trimming head I can't get it to cut low around fencelines and other objects.

And with that big battery, it's awkward to use.

Really like the hedge trimmer and blower, though.

It will not feed line correctly no matter what I do and the line is so far up on the trimming head I can't get it to cut low around fencelines and other objects.

I recommend the linked Ryobi. I have owned one for going on the third season and no issues. I owned the previous Ryobi version for more than four (bought it used so don’t life span). It also doubles as an edger.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...2080/206451828

22. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    I recommend the linked Ryobi. I have owned one for going on the third season and no issues. I owned the previous Ryobi version for more than four (bought it used so don’t life span). It also doubles as an edger.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ON...2080/206451828
    +1 for Ryobi. Just make sure to get the higher AMP batteries and not the lowest tier ones.

23. Default Re: Residential Electric lawn mower?

I have a Greenworks 80V string trimmer that works like a charm. Battery provides plenty of power and it works on the first start every time. Line feed seems to work fairly well, at least as good as gas power toros and other brands that I've had in the past, but not as good as the honda line trimmer I had. I have switch all my household tools to electric - much easier to maintain, never a problem starting, no oil and gas mixtures to worry about or fumes to smell. Plus electric motors tend to be quite a bit quieter than gas engines. I wish all my neighbors would switch.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    +1 for Ryobi. Just make sure to get the higher AMP batteries and not the lowest tier ones.
    +2 for the Ryobi. Only issue I have with it is it can only hold 9' of line, which can run out after not-very-many runs of trimming if you have a big yard, so I ended up getting another spool that I keep fully loaded so I can just swap it out when it runs out in the middle of a job.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    +2 for the Ryobi. Only issue I have with it is it can only hold 9' of line, which can run out after not-very-many runs of trimming if you have a big yard, so I ended up getting another spool that I keep fully loaded so I can just swap it out when it runs out in the middle of a job.
    +3 for the ryobi ... have now had it for 3 months and just also started doing the extra spool stand by

Thread Information