Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best Kolache in OKC

Default Best Kolache in OKC

Does anyone have a favorite? I don't know of many places that have them. I don't like Browns and I had Hurt's today, it was pretty good but needs more cheese possibly and certainly more jalepeno. 2 donut places around the village have them but they are just ok.

If anyone has been to the gas station places in West, TX - That's what I'm looking for.

Default Re: Best Kolache in OKC

Ingrid's on 36th and Villa have them on their online menu. I have been to West, TX but never had a Kolache there or at Ingrid's restaurant/bakery. But I have had many things at Ingrid's bakery there are great. Going there for dinner Tues.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    If anyone has been to the gas station places in West, TX - That's what I'm looking for.
    Czech Stop!
    I'm not sure anywhere can touch that place. I have yet to try any of them here, but I've heard of a few places selling them. The varieties filled with cheese/meat are called klobasneks.

Personally I like the ones at Daylight Donuts. They might not fit the style you're looking for, but the jalapeno ones have enough kick, and the pastry part is fantastic.

Donuts and Kolaches on May, just south of Hefner, has the best IMHO. Donut Palace on Britton is pretty good; not a big fan of the sausage they use though.

But where can you buy the real fruit kind, like apricot and plum or poppyseed? Or do I just need to make mine. Also real studel. I went to a German sandwich shop in Tulsa a few months back and ordered their studel. Well before I left I had to give them instructions on how to improve it. The flaky pastry was tough. At over $4.95 for a small piece they needed to improve it. Ughhh. Anyone place make the real stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    But where can you buy the real fruit kind, like apricot and plum or poppyseed? Or do I just need to make mine. Also real studel. I went to a German sandwich shop in Tulsa a few months back and ordered their studel. Well before I left I had to give them instructions on how to improve it. The flaky pastry was tough. At over $4.95 for a small piece they needed to improve it. Ughhh. Anyone place make the real stuff?
    only time I have had good fruit Kolaches have been at the cheque fest in Yukon and Kolache festival in Prague Oklahoma.;

the sausage roll type Kolaches they have pretty good ones at the donut shop at NW 10th just east of may avenue on south side of 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by clz46 View Post
    Ingrid's on 36th and Villa have them on their online menu. I have been to West, TX but never had a Kolache there or at Ingrid's restaurant/bakery. But I have had many things at Ingrid's bakery there are great. Going there for dinner Tues.
    Ah! Ingrids, no idea how I forgot to check there. There is also a smaller location up on May near me - will check it out.

@jompster - That's it! there's also a new big gas station on the other side of the Interstate that has a really good selection with a much faster line.

I am sad the Village Bakery in West closed down. I always preferred it to the ones right on I35.

Thread Information