Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pull-A-Part

Core2shore Pull-A-Part

Oklahoman reporting the business is relocating and selling their 14.77 acres for $6.45M.

The biggest issue is the access. You have I-40 to the north, the railroad to the west, the OG&E substation to the east, and the river to the south. The only way in or out is on SE 15th and that road does not have an interchange with Shields.

This property would be much more appealing if the city had not traded OG&E that land for the substation. Remember, that was part of the deal to get them to move for the convention center.

https://oklahoman.com/article/563827...o-new-location

Default Re: Pull-A-Part

That could have been a good stadium spot...

3. Default Re: Pull-A-Part

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Nope. Horrible access.

I haven’t followed this closely. Is this OG&E substation recently placed there? If so, why would you put utility infrastructure on the banks of a river that you’re trying to develop? If not, what’s next for it?

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    I haven’t followed this closely. Is this OG&E substation recently placed there? If so, why would you put utility infrastructure on the banks of a river that you’re trying to develop? If not, what’s next for it?
    Yes, the city traded them that land so they would move their substation from the site of the new convention center.

Happened in the last couple of years.

^

In that second photo you can see how the Pull-A-Part property sits down below both Sheilds and the railroad line.

The former city property is actually highly more desirable because it has much more river frontage and doesn't border the railroad.

Its almost as if a lot of times, decision makers in our city make moves with almost no foresight. This entire piece of land, including the substation COULD be a really cool spot. I get that getting to it can be weird, but if you were to build some sort of destination there, that wouldn't really matter. Instead, in the travesty that was finding a place for the CC, we sold GREAT POTENTIAL real estate on the river for a freakin substation that, in all likelihood, could have been put on any number of close by city owned spots.

So, I suppose its cool that Pull-A-Part is moving. But what, in all reality, can go here? Would the city make this a park, being so close to the substation? Would any private developer want this land? For a non destination, this is going to be a pretty tough sell. Retail would die here. Housing is too cut off, I feel.

Maybe, once the Co-Op gets developed, someone could build a pedestrian bridge over I-40 to connect to this land and have a cool park here or something? I highly doubt anyone would want to pay for that though. So, I guess, soccer fields it is then? Which is cool, I guess.

Blog Entries

With the limited access, and the low likelihood of improving that limited access because railroads and highways, this entire stretch would have been nearly perfect for on-river housing, with maybe a few retail spots that front the trail for trail users but also serve the residents (e.g. small restaurant, bike shop, etc). It still could I suppose even with the substation, but that was definitely a curious call.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    With the limited access, and the low likelihood of improving that limited access because railroads and highways, this entire stretch would have been nearly perfect for on-river housing, with maybe a few retail spots that front the trail for trail users but also serve the residents (e.g. small restaurant, bike shop, etc). It still could I suppose even with the substation, but that was definitely a curious call.
    Do you think housing could be successful here being surrounded by, the substation, the railway, and I-40? I suppose the silver lining for it would be it sits below all of that.

Blog Entries

Yes, for those that have an active lifestyle, but want a city location that "feels" and kind of is a tad secluded.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Yes, for those that have an active lifestyle, but want a city location that "feels" and kind of is a tad secluded.
    Being right on the river would be pretty awesome. Man, between this and Penn Square, we could really use more pedestrian only access/bridges, lol.

I'm glad that Pull A Part is going byebye. Another huge auto lot that is a serious impediment to development is the auto auction facility that's visible from 44 right by the river near SW 15th Street. There's easy access there (unlike pull a part) and it would be a great place for on river development. Not to mention it's just a stain seeing those hundreds of cars from 44.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I'm glad that Pull A Part is going byebye. Another huge auto lot that is a serious impediment to development is the auto auction facility that's visible from 44 right by the river near SW 15th Street. There's easy access there (unlike pull a part) and it would be a great place for on river development. Not to mention it's just a stain seeing those hundreds of cars from 44.
    I attend that auction time to time and it’s going nowhere nor does it need to. There are plenty of other areas of the river edges to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Nope. Horrible access.
    If the city builds city owned stuff there, I would think they could also build improved city owned access on city owned streets?

It’s not going to go there obviously, but it seems the city would have more options for something like that than a private developer?

City should buy it and build me a paradise lagoon

16. Default Re: Pull-A-Part

Quote Originally Posted by CloudDeckMedia View Post
    I wondered this from the very beginning. Why not put it close to the freeway or something; you know where we wont be developing, ever. ... why put it near the river at all?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    First thing I thought of too actually. Not the greatest of locations but you could create a nice little spot on the river. Create some walkway to the park. I guess there already a walkway along the river that will go to lower scissortail park. It does connect to bricktown also but that would be a bit of a walk. Then again maybe you shuttle buses or something day of the game. How much is this land compared to what they were planning just to the north at the old steel mill.

The city owned part of it before the substation switch I think?

Blog Entries

Went in there some years ago with a friend; they charge an admission fee just to enter. All I can say, it's a mechanic's dream and a visitors nightmare.

This site has got to be toxic with all that probably seeped into the ground over the years.

^^^^

I don't think so. Modern yards (such as Pull-A-Part would be considered) drain and recycle all the fluids they can get out of the cars before they put them in the yard. What might leak out during disassembly in the yard is probably less than 10% of what the car came in with. Much of that small amount could evaporate into the atmosphere, and the yards nowadays can be constructed where the top 18 to 24 inches are all that needs to be scraped and hauled away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    ^^^^

I don't think so. Modern yards (such as Pull-A-Part would be considered) drain and recycle all the fluids they can get out of the cars before they put them in the yard. What might leak out during disassembly in the yard is probably less than 10% of what the car came in with. Much of that small amount could evaporate into the atmosphere, and the yards nowadays can be constructed where the top 18 to 24 inches are all that needs to be scraped and hauled away.
    Thanks for the information about less toxins on that parcel.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    City should buy it and build me a paradise lagoon
    How about the city buys it, trades it to U-Haul, and then they can build their intersection …. Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    How about the city buys it, trades it to U-Haul, and then they can build their intersection …. Ha!
    And a 1st and 2nd round draft pick in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by snark0leptic View Post
    And a 1st and 2nd round draft pick in 2021.
    And a pothole to be named later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And a pothole to be named later.
    And a TPE (TIF Payout Exception) that unlike the Thunder, the City would not let expire.

I think I've wrung enough out of this...

Thread Information