Widgets Magazine

Thread: Portland Plaza

Northwest OKC Portland Plaza

This is the shopping center on the NE corner of Portland and 39th.

For the corner where the old Burger King was recently razed, this is what is proposed:

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Portland Plaza

They’ve done a nice job redoing this center.

Unfortunately, Locke Supply recently relocated to NW 36th & May leaving a large vacancy.

Thats decent real estate. I am hoping with WinCo and OnCue opening they might get something like a Chick-fil-a or Starbucks somewhere around there.

Blog Entries

Just what we need there, drive thrus with crazy lines.... :-P

Quote Originally Posted by roci28 View Post
    Thats decent real estate. I am hoping with WinCo and OnCue opening they might get something like a Chick-fil-a or Starbucks somewhere around there.
    Or a local coffee place and sandwich shop...

7. Default Re: Portland Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Just what we need there, drive thrus with crazy lines.... :-P
    If you're going to have a drive thru with crazy lines, better a Chick-Fil-A than almost anyone else.

Blog Entries

agree, but I doubt they'd put one this close to the one on May anyway, I'd expect them to go into chicken row or something first, there's really no competition in these parts save wing stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Unfortunately, Locke Supply recently relocated to NW 36th & May leaving a large vacancy.
    No offense to Locke, but the store was rarely open, did not draw much traffic to the center, and frankly was an unkempt, dirty store. I believe they took up the old indoor racetrack spot at 36th and May. Probably a better fit for them.

Over the last couple of years, we have done a lot of remodeling, and our contractors, be they plumbers, electricians, etc. did not even go there. Most of them just go to Lowe's.

The center looks dramatically improved with the new paint job, and I suspect another tenant will be located.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    No offense to Locke, but the store was rarely open, did not draw much traffic to the center, and frankly was an unkempt, dirty store. I believe they took up the old indoor racetrack spot at 36th and May. Probably a better fit for them.

Over the last couple of years, we have done a lot of remodeling, and our contractors, be they plumbers, electricians, etc. did not even go there. Most of them just go to Lowe's.

The center looks dramatically improved with the new paint job, and I suspect another tenant will be located.
    Locke was open all normal operating times. Locke is for the trade and is not a public retail store. It was not organized for "shoppers". Availability of product for contractors was the main thing, not display. You can't judge it by the same standards. They are very successful at what they do.

BTW, Locke has many, many items that retail places like Lowes and HD don't have, particularly parts. And, I've always gotten better prices there, but they were contractor prices. Locke personnel generally have more knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Locke was open all normal operating times. Locke is for the trade and is not a public retail store. It was not organized for "shoppers". Availability of product for contractors was the main thing, not display. You can't judge it by the same standards. They are very successful at what they do.

BTW, Locke has many, many items that retail places like Lowes and HD don't have, particularly parts. And, I've always gotten better prices there, but they were contractor prices. Locke personnel generally have more knowledge.
    I know all about Locke. They may do great but like I said, I've worked with dozens of contractors who don't use them. No big deal. The point wasn't to say, "Locke sucks." The point is that them vacating the space does not spell doom for the center. And, your point just affirms that. As you point out, it wasn't for "shoppers," per se, so now the vacancy can be filled by something that is.

It is nice to see a property owner revive a center like they did here. It just looks dramatically better than it did a couple of years ago.

Remember too that Locke moved in there when the place was in it's decline. A bustling shopping center once occupied by Hagee's Grocery store and TG&Y, and later Pratt Foods, The center went down hill from there.

^
    And Casa Bonita!

I thought there was talk at one point at building a stand alone WingStop on that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I thought there was talk at one point at building a stand alone WingStop on that corner.
    There is a proposed building for that corner and I had heard that WingStop might be moving there from their current location in the center, but there has been no movement in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^
    And Casa Bonita!

That's right. How could I forget Casa. There was also Sir Knight and Soundtrack. And Pratt Foods had their big fire there in the early 80's.

Thread Information