Widgets Magazine

Thread: 44 and 104th Street

Default 44 and 104th Street

I saw that they're clearing land next to Communication Federal Credit Union at SW 104th and I-44. Does anyone know what's going in there? I'm anxious to see this development continue to fill in.

Default Re: 44 and 104th Street

Prepare to be UNDERWHELMED! I240 2.0

i'm guessing the cleared land is west of communication federal? i found some recent permits for 3421 sw 104th. according to BLDC-2019-03626, it seems to be a strip center as the use code is 'shell building'

Yep appears to be a strip center.

Another transformative development for South OKC! Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a nail salon, payday lender and pawn shop!

You know sarcasms aside this area is an absolute disaster and a great example of where retail recruitment by the chamber could assist. How can you not take advantage of the house hold income in the area and proximity to Tri City and Mustang to do something more? I am not expecting Chisholm Creek, but this is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by jdg78 View Post
    You know sarcasms aside this area is an absolute disaster and a great example of where retail recruitment by the chamber could assist. How can you not take advantage of the house hold income in the area and proximity to Tri City and Mustang to do something more? I am not expecting Chisholm Creek, but this is a joke.
    Your 100% right. South side chamber is a joke. If this thing half of what Chisholm does it would be super popular for southsiders.

8. Default Re: 44 and 104th Street

Hopefully they will add a donut shop and a dispensary too! Fingers crossed!

Check out the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce materials some time. It is very clear that little to no effort is made to promote south OKC. It still mentions Plaza Mayor and Envision 240.

10. Default Re: 44 and 104th Street

Quote Originally Posted by jdg78 View Post
    Another transformative development for South OKC! Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a nail salon, payday lender and pawn shop!
    Don't forget a Cannabis Shop.

Yeah it's clear that they are okay with us southsiders driving either north or taking our money to Moore/Norman. That's why I have zero faith in these new developments. Then the other problem is these new developments like the one on 104th just make more traffic which makes it take longer when I need to go to place like Moore or Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Yeah it's clear that they are okay with us southsiders driving either north or taking our money to Moore/Norman. That's why I have zero faith in these new developments. Then the other problem is these new developments like the one on 104th just make more traffic which makes it take longer when I need to go to place like Moore or Norman.
    Outside of groceries, I go south to Moore/Norman to shop. It's crazy to me that the city makes no effort to keep sales tax flowing into OKC instead of Moore/Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Outside of groceries, I go south to Moore/Norman to shop. It's crazy to me that the city makes no effort to keep sales tax flowing into OKC instead of Moore/Norman.
    I'm pretty sure the majority of people in the area do exactly what you do. I'm really not sure the purposed of the South OKC Chamber.

^^^^
    But, this is my concern; It seems to me that south OKC has been developed by smart, local operators who have been pursuing a vision of the area since the end WWII, if not longer. Good people who continue to live on the south side and reinvest their profits.

Do you feel the south side is being ignored? Or are they not moving as quickly as you would hope?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Your 100% right. South side chamber is a joke. If this thing half of what Chisholm does it would be super popular for southsiders.
    I wouldn’t be too worried about not having a Chisholm on the south side. That **** is wildly overrated. Rainbolts are getting way too much credit for bringing in a few new to market chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    ^^^^
    But, this is my concern; It seems to me that south OKC has been developed by smart, local operators who have been pursuing a vision of the area since the end WWII, if not longer. Good people who continue to live on the south side and reinvest their profits.

Do you feel the south side is being ignored? Or are they not moving as quickly as you would hope?
    I'm not sure what they are investing in or what their vision is then. Sure there is your standard retail along 240, that's not surprising any major interstate in a big city is going to have that. Much of it has become run down, city doesn't even mow most of the time, I avoid this area, as do many people that live around me. So we end up taking our money to Mustang, Moore or Norman. This is just my opinion, but I think OKC cares about downtown and the NW side of the city. They let the suburbs on the south and west sides subsidize their citizens and could care less about anyone on the east side.

It would have been nice if the area (sw104th & Portland/44 service rd) would have been developed more like a Chisholm Creek, with nicer restaurants and retail. Instead we get a Walmart, Buffalo Wild Wings, Credit Union, car wash, Taco Bell, and a huge monstrosity of a warehouse in Amazon. Which will most likely result in more garbage being built because the jobs at Amazon don't pay enough for their workers to eat at nice restaurants, and if we are being completely honest here, most of those that are going to work there don't live in the area anyways. The sad thing is plenty of people that live in this area have just as much money as any place on the northwest side, I've even heard possibly more. Yet if we want to go eat or shop somewhere nice we have to drive to the NW side, Moore, etc, What sense does that make? This is why I've hated Amazon going in here from the git go, it's only going to further this bad development which does little to positively affect the needs of those of us that live here IMO.

I think it's more about the quality of development and the lack of retail recruitment of major retailers and restaurants. You don't see the upscale construction in south okc that you see in other parts of the metro. The bigger issue is lack of investment by the city.

It would be nice if the Southside could get a Life Fitness Athletic Gym. The location on May and Memorial is too far to drive.

The entire Portland development has been a disaster. And I don't have the slightest clue what the purpose of the South OKC Chamber is, other than to say they exist. They do *zilch* for South OKC as best I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    Hopefully they will add a donut shop and a dispensary too! Fingers crossed!
    I'm hoping for a nail salon and Asian massage parlor myself.

Blog Entries

Agree that the SOKC Chamber doesn't do much. There will be growth there in the next few years, but what quality level it will be, is truly unknown. You have million $ homes, industrial, and some rough patches all within a 3 mile circumference of this intersection. I don't think it will end up being another Chisholm, but it won't be an annex to 240 either. Somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by BLJR View Post
    Agree that the SOKC Chamber doesn't do much. There will be growth there in the next few years, but what quality level it will be, is truly unknown. You have million $ homes, industrial, and some rough patches all within a 3 mile circumference of this intersection. I don't think it will end up being another Chisholm, but it won't be an annex to 240 either. Somewhere in the middle.
    I hope you are right. I'd like to say I agree...but I've lived in this immediate area for 10 years, and just seems like things get over promised and under delivered. Everything in this area could go away tomorrow and wouldn't hurt my feelings with the exception of having the empty buildings.

Thread Information