Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BC Clark

Default BC Clark

BC Clark to take Balliets space

As Balliets readies new space in Nichols Hill Plaza (former Pops location), BC Clark has announced plans to take over their current building in Classen Curve.

Press release:

OKLAHOMA CITY (Aug. 5, 2019) – BC Clark, Oklahoma’s oldest and most prominent jeweler, plans to open Oklahoma’s largest and most prestigious jewelry store at Classen Curve in 2020.

The company’s current Penn Square Mall location, including the staff, will relocate to the fully remodeled new location at Classen Curve in summer 2020.

“Classen Curve has become Oklahoma City’s premier shopping destination, and we look forward to joining the fantastic retailers there,” said BC Clark President Coleman Clark. “When the new store opens, our customers will experience a dynamic and inviting environment, see a wider selection in every department and find convenient parking just steps from our door.”

The store will occupy the space previously held by Balliets, and an extensive renovation will bring in even more natural light and a fresh, new look. The showroom will grow by over 30%, including expanded Rolex, David Yurman, engagement ring and Life:Style departments.

“The retail landscape is evolving. Shopping habits and consumer expectations are changing. We are in tune with our customers and will provide an approachable, comfortable and luxurious store experience,” Clark said. “The new store demonstrates our family’s commitment to Oklahoma City for years to come and solidifies BC Clark’s position as Oklahoma’s leading jewelry retailer.”

The existing Penn Square store will remain fully staffed through the coming holiday season and the first half of 2020.

Shannon Barghols, marketing director at Classen Curve, welcomed her new tenants.

“Classen Curve already has the best shopping and dining in Oklahoma for every occasion,” she said. “Adding a legendary local brand gives customers one more reason to shop in the heart of the city.”

About BC Clark
    B.C. Clark opened his first jewelry store in the corner of a five and dime store in 1892. Today, BC Clark Jewelers is Oklahoma’s oldest jewelry store and the oldest business in Oklahoma under the same name and ownership. The traditions of quality merchandise and personal service have continued through four generations. As a full-service jeweler, BC Clark offers a full line of merchandise and services.

Default Re: BC Clark

I've known about this for a while...

They considered some other spots and also talked to the Penn Square Management, but I'm sure this opportunity was just too good for them to pass up.

For those who have not been inside, it's absolutely gorgeous, 2-level space. Will be a huge footprint for BC Clark; will be interesting how they utilize it.

Is this a good move for OKC as a whole? I just don't know if that big of a space being a local jeweler is the best move for CC, and OKC, as a whole. Could have been a better spot for a national retailer, due to the size of the space. Just feel like BC Clark is out-kicking their coverage with a space this big. I hope I am wrong, though, and will eat crow if I am.

It's a great fit and a good outcome after Balliets decided to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's a great fit and a good outcome after Balliets decided to move.
    Sweet! Just didn't know if CC settled for a local company because no new to market retailers wanted the space. But it opens up a nice space at the mall, as well.

How about how this affects Penn Square? Any talks of what might replace BC Clark's? Or still way too early in that process?

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    How about how this affects Penn Square? Any talks of what might replace BC Clark's? Or still way too early in that process?
    The mall has known for a while that Clark's was likely to leave.

They are also completely full these days, so I suspect they will not have a hard time finding a replacement.

Don't know if they have someone already or not .

I wouldn't be surprised if H&M takes over the BC Clark space at Penn Square. They've been on the waiting list at Penn Square for some time now but Penn Square hasn't had the space. If this happens, this wouldn't be good for Quail Springs since H&M is one of their exclusive stores. Quail Springs is really struggling. All of the national retailers are leaving and consolidating to their Penn Square location, mainly because Penn Square has higher sales. If you haven't been to Quail Springs lately, they have a ton of empty space. Round One will help hopefully but as fair as traditional retailers, they're suffering with the collapse of brick and mortar retail and the preference of Penn Square over Quail Springs when consolidation decisions are made.

Blog Entries

I'd say that is good move by/for BC Clark, but a definite blow to PSM.

Keep in mind the current BC Clark is located down a side corridor and faces the north, which means it is only visible from the parking lot, even though it does have a direct outside entrance.

Unless they move some other tenants around, it's an odd space.

It is in the more upscale wing of the mall, so I am hoping they can get a new-to-market national tenant there for that space, with the external entrance. Might take some re-configuring, though.

That outside entrance could be an advantage for retailers that otherwise wouldn't locate in a mall.

My guess is H&M will locate there but we'll see.

When are most sales?

When they moved to the mall from Mayfair in 1988, they were originally in the space now occupied by Pottery Barn.

The Mayfair store opened in 1957.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    It is in the more upscale wing of the mall, so I am hoping they can get a new-to-market national tenant there for that space, with the external entrance. Might take some re-configuring, though.
    Would be cool if they could expand that space out into the parking lot and create a Crate and Barrel mini anchor.

They could carve up one of the 2 Dillards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They could carve up one of the 2 Dillards.
    Would love to see them rebuild one of the Dillards into a 3 or 4 level store and consolidate there, and then open up the other anchor for an upscale anchor.

Penn Square has sales per square foot not far off from some of the more upscale centers in Dallas, so it shouldn't be hard to find upscale anchor tenants

Pottery Barn Kids might make another comeback to the mall too, since it's the space right across from Pottery Barn. They left the mall a few years back when Forever 21 outbid them for their mini anchor space.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Not necessarily a blow to PSM. PSM has a waiting list. Often times the reason retailers on that list don't take up existing spaces is because the open spaces aren't a good fit for the retailer or the mall simply doesn't have the space for them at the time. Case in point, H&M. With that being a larger space with ant outside entrance in a very successful mall, they probably already have a retailer in mind. But it all takes time to complete the deal and the transition. That BC Clark space is prime retail real estate.

Frankly, Von Maur never should've sunk all of their money into Quail Springs. Would've been a better fit and they probably would've had much more success at Penn Square. Von Maur hasn't done well at Quail and they haven't gotten any incentives from the city because they haven't met any of their sales goals. That's also why Dillards looks so dated at Quail. That store hasn't been updated since the mall was built. It makes enough money to stay open but not enough for Dillards to invest any money into it. Dillards puts all of their OKC money into the Penn Square store because sales are much higher.

Penn Sq had no interest in H&M before they picked quail springs last time i doubt they would have any interest in H&M now ..

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    I say opposite.

BCC likely drew impulse customers from all the walk by traffic. PSM will have no problems filling the space.

On the other hand BCC now has to rely on only focused customers in a stand alone building meaning they have to want to go there as a stop. I have no idea how many impulse customers they got in mall but I would bet it is decent amount.

^

Remember, BC Clark does not rely on foot traffic at their other two locations (downtown and Northpark).

They are very different than mall-type jewelry places.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    I say opposite.

BCC likely drew impulse customers from all the walk by traffic. PSM will have no problems filling the space.

On the other hand BCC now has to rely on only focused customers in a stand alone building meaning they have to want to go there as a stop. I have no idea how many impulse customers they got in mall but I would bet it is decent amount.
    Maybe if they had a better spot. I think they are in the worst location in the mall. Unless you are walking in that door...there is no reason to ever walk by their location at the end of the hall with no other stores near them.

Thread Information