Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

Default Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

Has anyone had any experience in mounting a TV to an outdoor brick wall? I am wanting to install one on my back patio. IÂ’m getting different answers on how/what to use to anchor the mount to the wall.

The TV size would be 40 inches or larger.

Mounting it directly to the brick seems like a stronger material to mount a TV to. I am very leary about mounting it to the brick mortar, seems like the mortar is not as strong and the anchors would pull out easily.

I have used the blue tapcon masonry screws in concrete but not brick before. Anytime I have tried to use the tapcons in mortar they just strip out and donÂ’t hold. So I havenÂ’t had that great of luck with the tapcon anchor screws. I am considering a sleeve anchor directly into the brick since I have not had good luck with the tapcons. I would hate to drill a hole in the brick and have the tapcons come back out.

Looking for advice on how I can mount the TV without it falling. Where to anchor it and whatÂ’ anchors to use.

Thanks

Default Re: Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

I did this inside with brick and went through the same research.

In the end, I just paid a good A/V company about $250 to mount it as they had a great hammer drill, robust anchors, 2 guys and the know-how.

I did not want that thing to come crashing down (55" Samsung Frame, and it wasn't cheap). They did a great job and knocked it out in an hour; mounted to the brick, not the mortar.

One downside of drilling into the brick is that you can't easily repair it later, while mortar is pretty easy to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

In the end, I just paid a good A/V company about $250 to mount it as they had a great hammer drill, robust anchors, 2 guys and the know-how.

I did not want that thing to come crashing down (55" Samsung Frame, and it wasn't cheap). They did a great job and knocked it out in an hour; mounted to the brick, not the mortar.

One downside of drilling into the brick is that you can't easily repair it later, while mortar is pretty easy to fix.

I have a hammer drill and all the tools To do the work. I tried talking to a person at Home Depot about this but they werenÂ’t much help.

$250 really isnÂ’t in the budget, just trying to do this myself.

IÂ’m concerned that the blue tapcon anchors wonÂ’t tighten up given my previous luck with them. Then IÂ’m concerned that the sleeve anchors will crack the brick since they expand inside the brick. I want a solid mount since it will be outdoors exposed to the wind.

This is coming from a long time brick mason when that I know. You can drill into the brick and use Tap Con or other expansion type of anchors, but you will always have a hole in your brick after that. He used expansion anchors drilled into the mortar, using a hammer drill. Later, it you want to do something different, or are moving, the mortar is much easier to repair.

I've done both and have also had better luck with Tap Cons in concrete, and expansion anchors in masonry.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    This is coming from a long time brick mason when that I know. You can drill into the brick and use Tap Con or other expansion type of anchors, but you will always have a hole in your brick after that. He used expansion anchors drilled into the mortar, using a hammer drill. Later, it you want to do something different, or are moving, the mortar is much easier to repair.

I've done both and have also had better luck with Tap Cons in concrete, and expansion anchors in masonry.
    Do you think using the expansion anchors in the mortar would be strong enough to hold a large tv and the tv mount? I agree that the mortar would be easier to fix, just don’t want the tv to fall or get ripped off the wall due to wind etc.

I know this is a little off topic, but how did they end up running the wires for your TV, Pete?

Definitely screw into the mortar, its all concrete. Todays brick can be hollow and not always filled with mortar. Those blue tapcon screws should work, probably at least 1.75 inches long. If you want to use an expansion anchor, then go ahead. But tapcons should work too.

^ Agreed, Tap Cons should work. I think the problem is some folks use too big of masonry bit, or they don't hold the drill straight and true, and let it waller the hole out, and then the Tap Con can't get a proper bite. I've used both and prefer expansion type in masonry, and Tap Cons in concrete, although expansion types work well in concrete as well.

I used anchors and bolts in the mortar to hold tv mount over fireplace. I'm sure it would it would be a pain to get anchors out and repair, but in reality there is no other place in the living room a modern TV would go so whoever happens to buy my house down the road can reuse the bolts. The bolts are overkill, but you hang any size tv you want.

How big is the tv? Have you looked into an AV cart with Wheels. That is what I did $100 and now I can pretty much move the tv anywhere I want to on my deck. I didn't feel like drilling holes into the side of my home.

11. Default Re: Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

I've never had luck mounting into morter. Given temperature variations from summer to winter, It always finds a way to work loose. Everything I mount on brick goes into the brick; as long as you drill a properly sized hole for the size fastener you're using, it should be solid. Rezman was right about keeping a steady hand when drilling though.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I used anchors and bolts in the mortar to hold tv mount over fireplace. I'm sure it would it would be a pain to get anchors out and repair, but in reality there is no other place in the living room a modern TV would go so whoever happens to buy my house down the road can reuse the bolts. The bolts are overkill, but you hang any size tv you want.
    This last weekend I tried mounting some small size tapcons in the mortar to home some
    Light metal outdoor wall decor that my wife wanted on the patio.

I used the recommended drill bit on the tapcon box. As soon as I put the tapcon in the mortar it never would tighten up and just wiggled around.

So needless to say I’m very Leary about using tapcons again.

13. Default Re: Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

I've done this many times; my previous homes and our new home.

I've mounted to brick both inside and outside the house.

Drilling into mortar is preferred - though I've drilled into brick when the mortar was flakey and I just didn't trust it.

I also prefer permanent anchors to screws.

If mounting flush there isn't much else to consider. A couple of my TVs however have had extra long arms so that the TV could swing from underneath the protection of the patio and out facing our seating area and then back again when done. This puts considerable strain on the arm and mount itself. I use extra anchors in those cases.

Also, figure out your cable management FIRST and then instal the mount.

Though the TV's are protected by overhangs, I also use rain proof covers over our TV's for extra protection against blowing rain and dust. Outdoors, dust/dirt and blowing rain is a TV killer! Also, you don't want the sun beating down on the TV and you wanna keep critters out of it (like wasps).

Good Luck!

A good reference video for beginners...

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post

Though the TV's are protected by overhangs, I also use rain proof covers over our TV's for extra protection against blowing rain and dust. Outdoors, dust/dirt and blowing rain is a TV killer! Also, you don't want the sun beating down on the TV and you wanna keep critters out of it (like wasps).

Good Luck!

Ha! .. Those Mud Daubers can wreak havoc on electrical bits as well!.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I know this is a little off topic, but how did they end up running the wires for your TV, Pete?
    I did that part myself...

There was already an electrical outlet in a mantle that was above the fireplace, so I took that down and chiseled out one of the bricks to recess the outlet, then plugged the TV into that.

The TV is a Samsung Frame (made to look like artwork when turned off, with tons of selections) and it uses a separate box that I put in the stereo cabinet at the left. Then, you plug all your sources into that box. The only connection between the TV and it is a very thin fiber-optic cable that I ran along one of the mortar lines then down and into the cabinet. It's so thin you don't see it; I didn't even bother painting it.

The other way to have done all this is to chisel out mortar, run cables then re-mortar and paint. I also considered a long, thin mantle that would have run the length of the brick and carried the cabling to the wall on the left.

I'm really pleased with the setup, it just took some planning and buying a TV with a unique config.

When I have people over, I tell them I don't own a TV and they don't realize the piece of art over the fireplace is actually that until I turn it on.

I did that part myself...

There was already an electrical outlet in a mantle that was above the fireplace, so I took that down and chiseled out one of the bricks to recess the outlet, then plugged the TV into that.

The TV is a Samsung Frame (made to look like artwork when turned off, with tons of selections) and it uses a separate box that I put in the stereo cabinet at the left. Then, you plug all your sources into that box. The only connection between the TV and it is a very thin fiber-optic cable that I ran along one of the mortar lines then down and into the cabinet. It's so thin you don't see it; I didn't even bother painting it.

The other way to have done all this is to chisel out mortar, run cables then re-mortar and paint. I also considered a long, thin mantle that would have run the length of the brick and carried the cabling to the wall on the left.

I'm really pleased with the setup, it just took some planning and buying a TV with a unique config.

When I have people over, I tell them I don't own a TV and they don't realize the piece of art over the fireplace is actually that until I turn it on.
    Ah, having the electrical outlet in place definitely helps. I am currently trying to figure out running cables for an in home theater room where two walls are exposed brick.

Nice job, Pete. Last remodel we covered up the brick firepace with drywall and tile surrounding the opening. I installed conduit and boxes behind it for the future event I might want to put a TV up there but it looks so much better without I haven't.

Mounting on brick can be tricky. If you get lucky anchoring in the mortar is first option. But sometimes it's sandy or not solid and won't hold anything. Bricks can be really hard, soft, crack and split, or you hit the void that prevents using some types of anchors. Think ahead about what you are going to do if your anchor doesn't go in solid.

^

Yes, I considered going that route too but I like the brick. Would have actually furred out from the brick, ran everything behind, then covered in marble or stone; something other than drywall.

The already present outlet made this pretty easy for me just to work with what I had, otherwise to make everything look nice would have been a lot more work and money.

The second phase will involve recessed speakers in the ceiling and to my patio and backyard; a fully integrated multi-space A/V system.

Number one issue was wife's desire to cover up the brick. Everything else resulted from and revolved around that.

The hearth was all brick too, top and sides. New one has granite. The tile is specialty tile from a boutique tile company in California, the name of which escapes me. Fireplace was converted to gas log at the same time. After we did all this, I found somewhere it might not be code using wood furring. Maybe we have enough separation from the opening. I don't know. The tile is adheared directly to the brick, so it would take some serious failure of the fireplace brick integrity or flame outside the front to be a problem. If I were to do it again, I would use metal furring, and not put in the wood backing for mounting a TV, metal or something else. Conduit runs to attic to TV location above the fireplace, left hearth and right hearth. Added 120 outlets at all those locations. Covered the unused boxes up until and unless we want to use them.

All the wood was screwed to the brick or mortar with tapcons.

Lived in

(The printer is temporary. I have 4 LAN drops at that location for media and do not in my home office.)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I've done this many times; my previous homes and our new home.

I've mounted to brick both inside and outside the house.

Drilling into mortar is preferred - though I've drilled into brick when the mortar was flakey and I just didn't trust it.

I also prefer permanent anchors to screws.

If mounting flush there isn't much else to consider. A couple of my TVs however have had extra long arms so that the TV could swing from underneath the protection of the patio and out facing our seating area and then back again when done. This puts considerable strain on the arm and mount itself. I use extra anchors in those cases.

Also, figure out your cable management FIRST and then instal the mount.

Good Luck!

Do you remember what length and diameter anchors you used? I also plan on getting a cover for the tv since it will be outdoors.

You may have solved your issue by now, but have you considered a TV ceiling mount? It may not work in your circumstance, but I have a patio with uneven stone that seemed impossible to mount a TV to. I ended up using a ceiling mount. Super easy to install and the TV sits high enough under my patio so that's it out of the sun/rain and also all but covers up the pole coming from the ceiling.

What kind of TV are people using for outdoors?

23. Default Re: Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless85 View Post
    Do you remember what length and diameter anchors you used? I also plan on getting a cover for the tv since it will be outdoors.
    I don't recall the exact size, but I know it was dictated by the mortar gap. I made sure the anchor was large enough to just grip the bricks on either side of the mortar.

24. Default Re: Mounting TV outdoors on brick?

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    What kind of TV are people using for outdoors?

We always buy a returned TV on sale at Sam's. It usually ends of being Vizio or Samsung. We've probably hung 4-5 over the years outside, ranging in size from 38" to 60."

I go with the returned TV's because they are cheaper. One on sale for a good price works for me too. You don't need anything special. Also, when we buy cheap then the extended warranty is cheaper too. Also, check with your credit card. Some automatically offer extended warranties (ex: some Amex cards). The warranty has either always been free or maybe up to $40. Might be a good peace of mind if you're hanging it in an area you cannot 100% protect. Most warranties won't cover outdoor installation (if they know it was outdoors), so, depending on the warranty claim (water, mud dobbers) you could get denied. I've only made one claim and it was years ago. TV just wouldn't come on one day. But I was given a new one. Just keep it protected from direct sunlight, wind, rain and critters. The hot and cold has never seemed to effect ours. Also make sure your cover or enclosure is ventilated so you don't get condensation.

Also, put some thought into where it's going to mount and if at any time while you're trying to watch it will the sun be facing the screen - if so, this will make it very difficult to see the screen. Lastly, if the TV is not under a patio that will reflect the sound, you have lots of ambient noise, or you need the sound to cover a large area without blasting it at the source, you may have to consider exterior speakers to be added to your setup. We have an extensive Sonos system and can tap into it and broadcast the audio from the TV inside or outside the house. You don't have to get that fancy though. Literally some $50 outdoor speakers will work with many TV's depending on the input/outputs.

Personally, we love sitting on the back porch watching TV in the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by kswright29 View Post
    You may have solved your issue by now, but have you considered a TV ceiling mount? It may not work in your circumstance, but I have a patio with uneven stone that seemed impossible to mount a TV to. I ended up using a ceiling mount. Super easy to install and the TV sits high enough under my patio so that's it out of the sun/rain and also all but covers up the pole coming from the ceiling.
    I don’t think pole mount will work in my situation. The patio that I want to put the tv on is covered very well and I am going to hang the tv on a brick wall that faces the west. When the sun goes down the brick wall will block the sunlight.

I’m looking to get a used tv on marketplace. Something 40 inches to around 50 inches. I thing a 32 inch would be way to small. The wall and is tall as well as the cover over the patio.

I also plan on adding a sound bar with a sub.

Thread Information