Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

I am amazed at how many dispensaries we have for medical marijuana. We have 4 within two blocks and another one is going in. I'd rather see new restaurants going in.

2. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

I think this is pretty common in state's when the legalization first goes into effect.

I recall going to Colorado and the streets in some areas were lined with dispensaries - and they have recreational use. However, you go down those same streets today and many of those locations are now out of business. That's not to say that there are still not a lot of dispensaries around.

I imagine in the next year or so you'll see several of these dispensaries follow the same path.

Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I think this is pretty common in state's when the legalization first goes into effect.

I recall going to Colorado and the streets in some areas were lined with dispensaries - and they have recreational use. However, you go down those same streets today and many of those locations are now out of business. That's not to say that there are still not a lot of dispensaries around.

I imagine in the next year or so you'll see several of these dispensaries follow the same path.
    This is pretty much correct. One major difference in Colorado is that individual communities can prohibit shops entirely. I also believe the spacing between them and schools/residential areas is more in Denver. This and general demographics has tended to group them along Colfax and Broadway but there are some scattered shops elsewhere. The main problem with them is since they are not Federally legal and deal in cash, they are targets for robberies, general transient activity and, in the areas around them, secondary drug deals to kids. Otherwise, they are no different than 7-11s.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I am amazed at how many dispensaries we have for medical marijuana. We have 4 within two blocks and another one is going in. I'd rather see new restaurants going in.
    Why would you rather see new restaurants? Is there crime at these dispensaries? Are there undesirable people hanging around them?

They're regular businesses employing people and paying taxes, and unless they're a public nuisance, who cares how many there are... I'd rather see dispensaries than a bunch of the sh*tty 7-11s and cigarette convenience stores that are scattered all over the metro.

And as Brian said, some will be "weed"ed out over time.

Keep in mind that because Oklahoma has legalized medical cannabis but not full recreational use (like Colorado and California), you can't even enter a dispensary without a patient license.

In that respect, we're quite different.

There will absolutely be a shake-out which will turn into an on-going thing. The industry here is still rapidly growing; more than 160K patient licenses have already been issued and we are really just getting started. More than 1,700 dispensary licenses have been issued as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Keep in mind that because Oklahoma has legalized medical cannabis but not full recreational use (like Colorado and California), you can't even enter a dispensary without a patient license.

In that respect, we're quite different.

There will absolutely be a shake-out which will turn into an on-going thing. The industry here is still rapidly growing; more than 160K patient licenses have already been issued and we are really just getting started. More than 1,700 dispensary licenses have been issued as well.
    Its inevitable medical pot will go up for a vote of full recreational use. It took about 2 years for this to happen in Colorado. I expect it will be longer in OK, but l still think it is inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Its inevitable medical pot will go up for a vote of full recreational use. It took about 2 years for this to happen in Colorado. I expect it will be longer in OK, but l still think it is inevitable.
    Not so sure.

The only real difference is needing a patient license, which is easily obtained.

I think it's more likely we'll wait for the federal laws to change.

8. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not so sure.

The only real difference is needing a patient license, which is easily obtained.

I think it's more likely we'll wait for the federal laws to change.
    Key word here is EASILY!!! Anybody can get a card.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Key word here is EASILY!!! Anybody can get a card.
    If you have $200 in spare cash around, along with the time and resources to take a passport-type pic and fill out the online application (which some places will do for you, but that's usually a charge on top of the $100 most docs charge you just for the recommendation).

10. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

The thing I don't like about the medical license aspect is that (at least based in my limited understanding) is that it creates a far more trackable record of those purchasing marijuana and I'm skeptical on how that database could be used in the future. This is why I prefer recreation use legalization and why I drove to Colorado when I was using THC for medical purposes.

11. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

The thing I don't like about the medical license aspect is that (at least based in my limited understanding) is that it creates a far more trackable record of those purchasing marijuana and I'm skeptical on how that database could be used in the future. This is why I prefer recreation use legalization and why I drove to Colorado when I was using THC for medical purposes.
    The tracking aspect keeps me from even thinking about getting a card. I have to maintain federal clearance to have my job and I’m absolutely sure they can access the database. I had both hips replaced about a year ago after a couple years of misdiagnosis. I’m still in constant pain though not anywhere near the level that I was. I would love to try medical marijuana but it’s not happening until the federal government legalizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The tracking aspect keeps me from even thinking about getting a card. I have to maintain federal clearance to have my job and I’m absolutely sure they can access the database. I had both hips replaced about a year ago after a couple years of misdiagnosis. I’m still in constant pain though not anywhere near the level that I was. I would love to try medical marijuana but it’s not happening until the federal government legalizes it.
    I don't like tracking at all, be it for grocery/loyalty-type cards or databases of any sort, but I honestly don't think the MMJ patient database is connected to or searched by other agencies. If you go to the OMMA website and put in a patient's license number, the only thing that comes up is just "Yes, that number is valid" or "No, it's not valid". As far as accessing it on the back end, I don't think that's happening, and I think OMMA addressed that with the gun license/MMJ license controversy, and AFAIK, the OSBI doesn't search OMMA's database to find out if a current/pending gun license owner has an MMJ license, and the OMMA doesn't search anybody else's databases before issuing their license.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I don't like tracking at all, be it for grocery/loyalty-type cards or databases of any sort, but I honestly don't think the MMJ patient database is connected to or searched by other agencies. If you go to the OMMA website and put in a patient's license number, the only thing that comes up is just "Yes, that number is valid" or "No, it's not valid". As far as accessing it on the back end, I don't think that's happening, and I think OMMA addressed that with the gun license/MMJ license controversy, and AFAIK, the OSBI doesn't search OMMA's database to find out if a current/pending gun license owner has an MMJ license, and the OMMA doesn't search anybody else's databases before issuing their license.
    The " Unity" bill allows for this. A searchable database accessible by any law enforcement officer at any time is currently being created, and is probably done by now. This data will get out in the public sphere, there are no real safeguards to prevent it. "Uncle Grumpy" produced a lengthy podcast on this issue, and it is dead on correct. Sorry for harshing everyone's buzz on this :-)

And Pete, there is no regulation with respect to who can enter a dispensary. Just who can purchase.

14. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    ... And Pete, there is no regulation with respect to who can enter a dispensary. Just who can purchase.
    That was my understanding. Well, beyond an age restriction. I was told though that many dispensaries have a policy requiring a medical card to enter - for liability reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    The " Unity" bill allows for this. A searchable database accessible by any law enforcement officer at any time is currently being created, and is probably done by now. This data will get out in the public sphere, there are no real safeguards to prevent it. "Uncle Grumpy" produced a lengthy podcast on this issue, and it is dead on correct. Sorry for harshing everyone's buzz on this :-)

And Pete, there is no regulation with respect to who can enter a dispensary. Just who can purchase.
    Can you quote the relevant section of HB2612 (the "unity" bill) that says that such a database is allowed/will be created?

What I can find is this, and it (especially the bolded part) doesn't jibe with what you're saying:

SECTION 7. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 427.7 of Title 63, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows:
    A. The Authority shall create a medical marijuana use registry of patients and caregivers as provided under this section. The handling of any records maintained in the registry shall comply with all relevant state and federal laws including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
    B. The medical marijuana use registry shall be accessible to Oklahoma-licensed medical marijuana dispensaries to verify the license of a patient or caregiver by the twenty-four-character identifier.
    C. All other records regarding a medical marijuana licensee shall be maintained by the Authority and shall be deemed confidential. The handling of any records maintained by the Authority shall comply with all relevant state and federal laws including, but not limited to, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Such records shall be marked as confidential, shall not be made available to the public and shall only be made available to the licensee, designee of the licensee, any physician of the licensee or the caregiver of the licensee. No personally identifiable information, as defined under HIPAA, shall be stored at the Department.
    ENR. H. B. NO. 2612 Page 22
    D. A log shall be kept with the file of the licensee to record any event in which the records of the licensee were made available and to whom the records were provided.
    E. The Department shall ensure that all application records and information are sealed to protect the privacy of medical marijuana patient license applicants.

^

It's also a barrier to people who are poor or live in areas without doctors who can provide the license.

It's about $200 all-in to go through the process and that's not a small amount.

I just hate any barrier to anyone getting medicine and healthcare.

I read an article, about three days ago, about how high the price of medical cannabis is in OK. It had a nice chart to compare with. Can not find it at all now. There is a financial barrier to the use of this product. The Veteran discount helps, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I read an article, about three days ago, about how high the price of medical cannabis is in OK. It had a nice chart to compare with. Can not find it at all now. There is a financial barrier to the use of this product. The Veteran discount helps, but not much.
    Rest assured, the prices quoted in that article are not what is paid on average! I've been to ~50 different locations in the metro, and everybody always has some form of sale, or just flatout lower prices in general. Paying $50 for 1/8th of an oz, with tax, puts the prices higher than blackmarket prices. While that may have been the case for the first few months of medical, it is certainly cheaper now.

I still find average edible prices to be very high around the metro. There's one store that has what I feel are fair prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    I have several friends/family with cards. $35 for 3.5 grams is the norm at a lot of stores now. I believe that is about a weekly supply for most. You can grow your own plants indoors for far cheaper, quite a few kits on Amazon which are not that expensive. I'd be leery to suggest anyone grow outdoors only from my experience in trying to grow quite a few different fruits and veggies here over the years. Lots of bugs/rabbits/etc that will eat up plants. I would imagine spraying pesticides on a plant you plan on smoking later is not good for ones health. The indoor method seems like the best option since it seems like with $400 worth of equipment you can get $1600 worth of product (at retail prices) on the first harvest if you know what you are doing and since you already have the equipment, the next harvests will be even less expensive.

20. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    I have several friends/family with cards. $35 for 3.5 grams is the norm at a lot of stores now. I believe that is about a weekly supply for most. You can grow your own plants indoors for far cheaper, quite a few kits on Amazon which are not that expensive. I'd be leery to suggest anyone grow outdoors only from my experience in trying to grow quite a few different fruits and veggies here over the years. Lots of bugs/rabbits/etc that will eat up plants. I would imagine spraying pesticides on a plant you plan on smoking later is not good for ones health. The indoor method seems like the best option since it seems like with $400 worth of equipment you can get $1600 worth of product (at retail prices) on the first harvest if you know what you are doing and since you already have the equipment, the next harvests will be even less expensive.
    If only I could grow a 'Gummie' Tree. Those and patches/creams were all I ever did while in treatment. I just can't do the smokable.

If only I could grow a 'Gummie' Tree. Those and patches/creams were all I ever did while in treatment. I just can't do the smokable.
    People have been getting baked with home baked and other edibles for decades. Probably can find more DIY info than you ever wanted to know about it on youtube. I'm going to pick some edibles up next month when I'm in Colorado to see if it helps with chronic pain without gluing me to the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    People have been getting baked with home baked and other edibles for decades. Probably can find more DIY info than you ever wanted to know about it on youtube. I'm going to pick some edibles up next month when I'm in Colorado to see if it helps with chronic pain without gluing me to the couch.
    You do know that not every strain of marijuana gives you couch-lock, right? Tons of sativa/hybrids that do exactly the opposite, do your research before you get there and you shouldn't have any problem finding the right strain for you.

23. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    That's where I got mine while going through cancer treatment. Really helped with my pain, anxiety and inability to sleep. There were kinds I used that specifically were not supposed to make you tired.

Prices will come down.

There has been an undersupply of product because it's taken a while to get the first grows complete. But lots of growers are now cranking.

25. Default Re: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

I will say this as a positive. All the shops have gone in some pretty crappy looking places here in Norman. Now they are thriving businesses that have had their buildings completely revamped. I am happy about that!

Thread Information