Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1568

Thread: Braum's

1. Default Re: Braum's

No, but someone at some point should be checking. It normally won't be empty in a day, with shift change, etc. Restroom check list? Manager check?

Default Re: Braum's

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    I guess ONLY Braums has run out of soap in the restroom. Guess that is an Oklahoma thing...
    Why would you even post something like this? Doesn't matter what state a restaurant is in, if they run out of soap, they need to be reported. I'm sure it happens everywhere, however, I've reported a few places (Katie's in Edmond, Ted's on NW 68th, for example) to the health dept. for that exact offense, and they've all been in OK, and I've lived in IL, WI, IN, WA, OK, and visited tons more states.

Anyone know who is behind the Johnny Cash voice on the Braum's commercials that have been running lately? Seems a little sketchy if they didn't license the imitation, which they may have.

Found it here: https://www.facebook.com/BraumsIceCr...2026972678881/

i don't think you actually have to license the imitation but I think you have to say somewhere in the ad that it contains a celebrity voice impression. i've heard plenty of radio commercials over the years that had such a disclaimer. obviously, using music/lyrics is a different issue but i don't think that's relevant for this particular commercial. however, since johnny cash is dead i wonder if that puts a twist on whether or not the disclaimer needs to be included... that is, it would be reasonable for someone to conclude that it is an impression since the real thing has been dead for several years.

i didn't get my ged in law, so take that with a grain of salt.

I have no idea who is doing the voice over, but Philip Bauer seems to be the best of the best imitators. He lives here in OKC. I met him and his wife on a shuttle bus at the airport a few years ago. He was just getting back from performing. I had no idea who he was but was was so kind and gracious and humble. He even gave me a CD of his work. Google him or search him on YouTube. Fantastic Johnny Cash impersonator and great singer. He’s excellent..

Who knows, maybe he is the one in the Braums commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I have no idea who is doing the voice over, but Philip Bauer seems to be the best of the best imitators. He lives here in OKC. I met him and his wife on a shuttle bus at the airport a few years ago. He was just getting back from performing. I had no idea who he was but was was so kind and gracious and humble. He even gave me a CD of his work. Google him or search him on YouTube. Fantastic Johnny Cash impersonator and great singer. He’s excellent..

Who knows, maybe he is the one in the Braums commercial.
    I do wonder if they are using local media company and local voice person, which would make sense.

A voice can not be copywrited. A song however can be.

Appears to depend on state law:

Using the Name or Likeness of Another

In most states, you can be sued for using someone else's name, likeness, or other personal attributes without permission for an exploitative purpose.
    Usually, people run into trouble in this area when they use someone's name or photograph in a commercial setting, such as in advertising or other promotional activities. But, some states also prohibit use of another person's identity for the user's own personal benefit, whether or not the purpose is strictly commercial. There are two distinct legal claims that potentially apply to these kinds of unauthorized uses: (1) invasion of privacy through misappropriation of name or likeness ("misappropriation"); and (2) violation of the right of publicity. (The "right of publicity" is the right of a person to control and make money from the commercial use of his or her identity.) Because of the similarities between misappropriation and right of publicity claims, courts and legal commentators often confuse them. We will not try to exhaustively explain the differences between these two legal claims here. It is mostly important for you to understand the legal principles that are common to both claims; we will point out relevant differences below and on the state pages when appropriate.

<snip>

You cannot invade the privacy of a dead person, so you generally cannot be sued for misappropriation of the name or likeness of a dead person, unless the misappropriation took place before the person in question died. However, in many states the right of publicity survives after death, so you could be sued for violating the publicity rights of a dead person. This is most likely to come up with dead celebrities.

<snip>

The law protects other personal attributes or aspects of identity from unauthorized use as well. For example, courts have held that use of a celebrity's voice can violate the right of publicity. See, e.g., Midler v. Ford Motor Co., 849 F.2d 460 (9th Cir. 1988). One court held a defendant liable for using the slogan "Here's Johnny" as a brand name for portable toilets because it sufficiently evoked Johnny Carson's identity. See Carson v. Here's Johnny Portable Toilets, Inc., 698 F.2d 831 (6th Cir. 1983). In other examples, courts have held defendants liable for using a photograph of the plaintiff's race car in a television commercial, see Motschenbacher v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., 498 F.2d 821 (9th Cir. 1974), and creating a commercial featuring a robot decked out to resemble Vanna White and posing next to a Wheel of Fortune game board, see White v. Samsung Elec. Am., Inc., 917 F.2d 1395 (9th Cir. 1992). In all of these cases, the common rationale was that the attribute in question was sufficient to identify the plaintiff and evoke their identity for the public.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/usin...keness-another

Also not sure if using someone's voice would be the same as imitating someone's voice, but my guess it yes, it's using part of their identity, or at least invoking their identity.

The case cited was indeed about imitation, but of a living person, Bette Midler:

The appellate court ruled that the voice of someone famous as a singer is distinctive to their person and image and therefore, as a part of their identity, it is unlawful to imitate their voice without express consent and approval. The appellate court reversed the district courts decision and ruled in favor of Midler, indicating her voice was protected against unauthorized use.[4][5]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midler_v._Ford_Motor_Co.

Default Braums Order pick up

So i have heard some rumors that Braums was working on some short of order pick up much like Walmart and others. Today they posted on their facebook page something big was coming and showed a car with it's trunk open and a grocery cart full with someone wearing a green apron which would be a market person. Anyone have the real inside scoop on if this is happening and when?

Default Re: Braums Order pick up

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Anyone have the real inside scoop on if this is happening and when?
    I see what you did there.

Braum's has possibly the worst customer service out of almost any retail or fast food establishment here in OKC, and they're trying to do this? Hilarious.......

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Braum's has possibly the worst customer service out of almost any retail or fast food establishment here in OKC, and they're trying to do this? Hilarious.......

Not sure if they are doing this but after their facebook page it makes me wonder. I agree their service not the great but seems to be better doing the day than at night.

On some level they sell convenience, so really kind of need to keep up with walmart does if possible in that area.

From their Facebook page:

^^^ Meanwhile, there are 4 customers in the grocery checkout line inside the store because their only grocery person is standing around outside watching someone load their groceries (guess their "service" doesn't extend to pushing the cart out to the car or unloading).

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    ^^^ Meanwhile, there are 4 customers in the grocery checkout line inside the store because their only grocery person is standing around outside watching someone load their groceries (guess their "service" doesn't extend to pushing the cart out to the car or unloading).
    OMG I just peed myself. That so made my day. Thank You.

Noticed a sign yesterday saying "Coming Soon" at the corner of 192nd and Western. Seemed a little strange since there are stores just a couple of miles away at Edmond RD and Santa Fe and another at 164th and Penn.

Far North Re: Braum's

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Noticed a sign yesterday saying "Coming Soon" at the corner of 192nd and Western. Seemed a little strange since there are stores just a couple of miles away at Edmond RD and Santa Fe and another at 164th and Penn.
    ...at one time too there were plans for a 7-11 and Braum's at 178th and Portland once the construction finished.

Not sure why there is such an abundance of Braum's and Sonic locations in far NW OKC?

Planning a new location on the SE corner of I-40 and Morgan Road; presently home to a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Planning a new location on the SE corner of I-40 and Morgan Road; presently home to a restaurant.

???????? WHY? There is already one at Council and i-40. Also one at I-40 and Mustang Road. Also one at Garth Brooks. and I-40 This would make zero sense. ???????????

Heard they are thinking of remodeling the Council Rd - I40 store also

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    ???????? WHY? There is already one at Council and i-40. Also one at I-40 and Mustang Road. Also one at Garth Brooks. and I-40 This would make zero sense. ???????????
    It seems like the truck stops are considered a separate market by the fast food restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It seems like the truck stops are considered a separate market by the fast food restaurants
    It does kind of make sense from that stand point. Also is going to be more visible from the highway compared to Council Road and Mustang Road. This one will be easier for travelers as it will be much easier on and off the highway. Council I would not consider easy on easy off same for Mustang Road. I just think you build here tear down the council road location. I know Mcdonalds has one on every street on I-40 but that's Mcdonalds.

And Truckers and RV’ers who are familiar with Braums will be able to pop in and get some groceries for their refrigerators.

Thread Information