Widgets Magazine

Thread: Car Dealers

1. Default Car Dealers

My 2004 Taurus’s transmission was dying. Wasn’t going to put the money in it for a rebuild so I was in the market for my first new car since 2004 (which was my wife’s Liberty). I searched the internet for a cheap but acceptable new car and decided on a Hyundai Elantra. I emailed Automax in Midwest City and set up a time on Saturday morning to test drive one. I told them I just wanted a SE level (basic) Elantra but they showed me an SEL (more bells and whistles) a pretty good step up. After an hour of negotiations I wouldn’t agree to the cost of the SEL. I was fine with an SE. As I was walking across the lot to go inside and buy the SE the “finance guy” came running up and said they would sell me the SEL for the same deal I agreed to for the lesser SE. I’m sure there had to something going on here but I don’t see what. I’m impressed anyway. I was happy with the lower car and they let me have the one with more bells and whistles for the agreed to price of the lower model without me even asking.

Default Re: Car Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    My 2004 Taurus’s transmission was dying. Wasn’t going to put the money in it for a rebuild so I was in the market for my first new car since 2004 (which was my wife’s Liberty). I searched the internet for a cheap but acceptable new car and decided on a Hyundai Elantra. I emailed Automax in Midwest City and set up a time on Saturday morning to test drive one. I told them I just wanted a SE level (basic) Elantra but they showed me an SEL (more bells and whistles) a pretty good step up. After an hour of negotiations I wouldn’t agree to the cost of the SEL. I was fine with an SE. As I was walking across the lot to go inside and buy the SE the “finance guy” came running up and said they would sell me the SEL for the same deal I agreed to for the lesser SE. I’m sure there had to something going on here but I don’t see what. I’m impressed anyway. I was happy with the lower car and they let me have the one with more bells and whistles for the agreed to price of the lower model without me even asking.
    Most dealers will, if the prices are close, not let you leave without offering this deal. If you are willing to leave (or settle for a different car), they will try it as a last chance grab. And it often works. Glad you got a good deal!

3. Default Re: Car Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Most dealers will, if the prices are close, not let you leave without offering this deal. If you are willing to leave (or settle for a different car), they will try it as a last chance grab. And it often works. Glad you got a good deal!
    I could see it the other way around if I’m about to walk without buying anything but if I’m signing the deal on the lower model why just give me the higher level one for the same price? Of course the motivation might be future business which they definitely have of mine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I could see it the other way around if I’m about to walk without buying anything but if I’m signing the deal on the lower model why just give me the higher level one for the same price? Of course the motivation might be future business which they definitely have of mine now.
    Goodwill goes a long way.

5. Default Re: Car Dealers

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Goodwill goes a long way.
    Yes it does. BTW, are you a Buffet fan?

There can be many reasons. The SEL might have been on the lot for 90 days, so there was a financial incentive for the staff to move it. Might be a Hyundai incentive to move all the 2019s before September 15th, and a fleet account is already contracted to take all the SE models they will get this year. Might be too many of a certain color. Might have taken it back in a dealer trade and they got $2000 to take it.
    Whatever the reason, it is nice of them to pass on $ savings to you.

Thread Information