Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riviere Modern Bahn Mi

Midtown Riviere Modern Bahn Mi

They opened yesterday at 905 N Hudson; Jimmy's Egg opened last week next door.

They both have bars.

Default Re: Riviere Modern Bahn Mi

That is a cringe-worthy amount of puns. Also this just makes me miss the Milk Bottle place.

Quote Originally Posted by snark0leptic View Post
    That is a cringe-worthy amount of puns. Also this just makes me miss the Milk Bottle place.
    I second the milk bottle! I'll try the place, but I still prefer just the good old classic banh mi. Lang's Bakery makes some good ones.

Pete,
    Jimmy's Egg has a bar? I've been to many of them but never ran into a bar. Of course, it's been several years since I ate there.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Pete,
    Jimmy's Egg has a bar? I've been to many of them but never ran into a bar. Of course, it's been several years since I ate there.
    C. T.
    I went last weekend. This is the first one I’ve seen with a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    I second the milk bottle! I'll try the place, but I still prefer just the good old classic banh mi. Lang's Bakery makes some good ones.
    I was about to give them a shoutout too, but I second Lang's.

This place is fantastic. My wife, her co-worker, and I went on opening day. It was fairly busy but we were seated without waiting. Service was great. Met the chef and the owner's father. Our waiter was maybe a little too friendly but it was clear everyone in the restaurant was trying incredibly hard to make a great first impression.They did.

The atmosphere and decor is interesting. It is not overdone, which is nice. Like many Vietnamese restaurants the focus is on the dining not a bunch of decor. The north wall has a neat carving with blue light that can be seen in Pete's photo above. It looks much much better in person.

THE FOOD. The food was phenomenal. I don't say that lightly. We shared an order of the Gangnam Style fries. They brought out a good portion which the three of us weren't able to finish due to saving room for the banh mi. French fries covered in beer cheese witha good bit of bulgogi on top. Fantastic. I ordered the Pho'rench Dip. It is maybe the best banh mi I've ever had. Imagine Lees but with a softer french roll and more meat/ingredients. Instead of serving with a side of au jus it comes with a side of pho broth for dipping. It made for an incredible flavor. The pho broth alone was very very good. The chef said this sandwhich was currently the crowd favorite. He was worried the traditional Vietnamese patrons might be offended by combining pho with banh mi but said he has been pleasantly surprised to hear it's a hit with all crowds. My bahn mi came with a side and I ordered the mac and cheese. It was tasty. In hindsight, I should have ordered a less rich and cheesy side since our appetizer was heavy on the same kind of cheese.

We will be frequenting this place often. I have no doubt it will continue to do well and impress. It's just 2 blocks north of my office and I suspect many others will make it a business lunch stop.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheese fries.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	714.9 KB 
ID:	15440
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pho'rench Dip.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	766.2 KB 
ID:	15441

I stopped by yesterday with a friend. She had the pho'rench banh mi with mac & cheese, and I had the banh fire with corn. I was delightfully surprised with it all. The pho'rench banh mi worked a lot better than I thought it would. The banh fire was also very good.

I was told that they were owned by the same group who runs jimmy's egg.

I'm also inclined to compare this to lees. It's a more upscaled version. I'd leave it to others to determine if they're getting a sandwich that is at least 2-3x better since the sandwiches I believe are 2-3x the price. If my choices were down to these 2, I'd go here every time.

Having said that, I think I still prefer the guy who runs something of a bakery caddy corner to lees next to classen coffee. I also like the choices available to me at magasin table.

I am glad to hear the food is great, I never had Vietnamese food before so I will give this a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Having said that, I think I still prefer the guy who runs something of a bakery caddy corner to lees next to classen coffee. I also like the choices available to me at magasin table.
    We went to Magasin Table for the first time Monday night, loved it - I had the pork belly/quail egg banh mi, wife had the lemongrass chicken banh mi, and we split the crab rangoon (probably the best crab rangoon we've ever had). How does this place compare to Magasin Table?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We went to Magasin Table for the first time Monday night, loved it - I had the pork belly/quail egg banh mi, wife had the lemongrass chicken banh mi, and we split the crab rangoon (probably the best crab rangoon we've ever had). How does this place compare to Magasin Table?

Different markets. As I'm working my way through the magasin table menu, there's an attempt to stay vietnamese but with higher/better quality ingredients.

In my previous post the unnamed bakery caddy corner to lees was quoc bao.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Re the crab rangoon at Magasin - I literally said the same thing to my wife. Best crab rangoon I've ever had, by a long shot.

Went to Riviere for lunch today.

Had the K-Pop (beef with cilantro and fresh jalapeno) and the street corn as a side.

LOVED the corn; warm and lots of flavor and served off the cob.

The sandwich was very good; meat was high quality and firm but not hard bun. I'm going to take the 2nd half home for dinner and add in some sriracha or similar. Total was $10.50 before tip.

Really nice little place.

Went today at lunchtime since Ban called me and asked me to stop by. I'm a McDonald's and Domino's kinda guy. I don't do weird **** and damn sure don't eat any of that Chinese stuff. Figure it's gonna be squid guts, or something like that. Ban assured me "No weird ****".

He was right. I got the Banh Jovi. I loved it. It's some kinda cheesesteak sandwich that I got with the mayo stuff on the side. Tasty, with a bun that was neither too tough or too flaky, rather just right. Nice meat that didn't have any grisly and chewy pieces. Great texture and flavor. Got mac & cheese for a side and loved it.

For an old guy like me who is afraid of any "furrin" and hip food, it was great. Now I can tell my friends I'm a "foodie", since I went there before they did. At least until they call bull**** on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Went today at lunchtime since Ban called me and asked me to stop by. I'm a McDonald's and Domino's kinda guy. I don't do weird **** and damn sure don't eat any of that Chinese stuff. Figure it's gonna be squid guts, or something like that. Ban assured me "No weird ****".

He was right. I got the Banh Jovi. I loved it. It's some kinda cheesesteak sandwich that I got with the mayo stuff on the side. Tasty, with a bun that was neither too tough or too flaky, rather just right. Nice meat that didn't have any grisly and chewy pieces. Great texture and flavor. Got mac & cheese for a side and loved it.

For an old guy like me who is afraid of any "furrin" and hip food, it was great. Now I can tell my friends I'm a "foodie", since I went there before they did. At least until they call bull**** on me.
    Had Ban known that it was "Chinese stuff" that you were looking to avoid. All of this could have been resolved earlier by mentioning that it's Vietnamese, Korean, and American.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Had Ban known that it was "Chinese stuff" that you were looking to avoid. All of this could have been resolved earlier by mentioning that it's Vietnamese, Korean, and American.
    Oh, he tried and told me many times. My brain just didn't want to accept and process the truth he was telling me. That is all on me.

Turns out I'm also wrong. I forgot that there is chinese sausage on the mac & cheese.

Went for lunch today. I got the Bahn Fire. It was awesome! Maybe a little too much bread, but my friends Bahn Jovi looked much for full. I made note of that for next time. The green beans with chili oil are very good. I highly recommend them!

I've been craving their street corn since I had it a couple of days ago.

I will be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I will be back soon.
    I need to get that next.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I will be back soon.

+1 for corn.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    Went for lunch today. I got the Bahn Fire. It was awesome! Maybe a little too much bread, but my friends Bahn Jovi looked much for full. I made note of that for next time. The green beans with chili oil are very good. I highly recommend them!
    I agree with the too much bread. Got the KPOP and man there was way too much bread compared to the meat and such.

We kinda thought the same thing about Magasin Table - baguettes were too much (good, but just too big), interesting that both places use La Baguette for their bread.

Did take out for office lunch this week. The sandwiches were on point. The bread was fresh and held up well to fully stuffed sandwiched. The vegetables and green stuff added was crisp and fresh. I had the K Pop banh mi which was a bulgogi sandwich. Several had the lettuce wraps which looked amazing and will probably be what I get next time. The pricing was a good value for lunch and what you receive. We ordered for 12 people and the order was correct with each entree clearly marked. We have added it to our rotation.

While it was a decent enough banh mi when we went a while back, I can’t get over the prices. $9 for a banh mi that is equivalent to some of the old school establishments. Just not worth it, imo.

Thread Information