Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo's Park and Pub

Far North Solo's Park and Pub

Restaurant and dog park to open at Chisholm Creek

A new restaurant and bar with an attached park for dogs is coming to North Oklahoma City.

Press release:

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (Sept. 28, 2020) – Dining out is meant to be a family experience — and soon, even furry family members can join the fun.

Red Solo Pup, a new concept from Oklahoma City native Julianne Thomas, will debut in the Chisholm Creek development center in spring 2021. It will feature a spacious off-leash dog park and restaurant/bar, which will allow for adequate social distancing.

“Two years ago, our five-year-old dog, Solo, unexpectedly passed away,” Thomas said. “His death was an unfortunate reminder that life is short, and we should be spending as much time as possible with loved ones — dogs included. Dogs are family, and our goal with the concept is to bring Oklahoma City families together in a way that’s never been possible before.”

Red Solo Pup will honor Solo in both name and spirit, acting as a communal space where dogs and their owners can play and eat together.

Thomas, a 16-year restaurant industry veteran, is creating an approachable menu with plans to include items like burgers, sandwiches, hot dogs and salads. Both dine-in and grab-and-go options will be offered, and guests can also order food and beverages from a walk-up window. Only humans are allowed inside the restaurant, but leashed dogs are welcome on the patio.

The 1.1-acre dog park will include separate areas for large and small dogs and feature mixed surfaces like turf, granite and mulch.

“One of our biggest pet peeves about other dog parks in the metro area is they’re mostly dirt, and our dogs come home covered in red mud,” Thomas said. “At Red Solo Pup, owners can rest assured knowing their dogs won’t leave dirtier than they arrived.”

But if a quick clean is required, on-site bathing stations will be available for self-use or with the help of a staff member. Bark Rangers, as park staff will be called, will also help maintain the cleanliness of the park and be on-hand if a family decides to visit another Chisholm Creek entity while leaving their pets to play.

Day passes, as well as monthly and yearly memberships, will be available for park use. People without dogs are welcome to access the restaurant without becoming members.

About Red Solo Pup

Red Solo Pup combines a 1.1-acre off-leash dog park with an on-site restaurant/bar. The unique space will open in the Chisholm Creek development center in spring 2021.

Default Re: Red Solo Pup

Any plans for the old Republic spot across from it? Surprised it’s still empty

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    Any plans for the old Republic spot across from it? Surprised it’s still empty
    Yes. I'll have more on that soon.

4. Default Re: Red Solo Pup

How does a crazy concept like this work without a massive TIF grant?

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    How does a crazy concept like this work without a massive TIF grant?
    And almost free land.

Interesting story: Chisholm is the group that originally recruited Bar K, then the city pitched them TIF and a great land lease, and they decided to go to the river.

Now, this local group has to compete against them without subsidy.

This whole corporate welfare system is highly, highly flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And almost free land.

Interesting story: Chisholm is the group that originally recruited Bar K, then the city pitched them TIF and a great land lease, and they decided to go to the river.

Now, this local group has to compete against them without subsidy.

This whole corporate welfare system is highly, highly flawed.
    To be fair, they have to pump money into that area to cover up all the other money they've pumped into riversport that is losing lots of money. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    To be fair, they have to pump money into that area to cover up all the other money they've pumped into riversport that is losing lots of money. lol
    If you look at where Bar K is located in Kansas City, I'm convinced that their entire business model is to build along desolate riverfronts surrounded by highways in order to get huge tax breaks lmao.

this thread was created today... but i could have sworn i heard about this several weeks ago on here?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    this thread was created today... but i could have sworn i heard about this several weeks ago on here?
    i think this was in a tv station story but without the specifics ..

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It was announced on 9/28

https://kfor.com/news/local/new-dog-...hisholm-creek/

11. Default Re: Red Solo Pup

I love the name.

It's a great idea for dog lovers.

It looks cool, I will have to go there sometime

Work has started. Photo from Smith & Pickel (contractors).

i hate how chisolm creek turned out. it's just another parking desert.

I mean, it was a treeless wasteland full of literal trash before. It's still an improvement.

16. Default Re: Red Solo Pup

Agreed, and it’s weird that they keep trying to pass it off as a mixed-use development. Very disingenuous imo

So I'm with you... mostly. I agree, the east end of the development especially has turned out disappointing. I love the area around the pond with all the restaurants though, and think that turned out very nice. But this development definitely feels more like lower Bricktown than a quality mixed use development. I'm still hopeful though that the west end could turn out nicer, and I'm thinking the middle area will fill in better and the parking lost will look less like a parking desert. Unfortunately, they can put all the sidewalks and crosswalks they want, the entire area as a whole will never feel walkable, or like a coherent district. I think the best they can hope for is to make parts of it better than others.

The best case scenario, IMO, is if they can find a way to make the center of the development similar in design to the Southlands development in Aurora, CO (but with better brands than that development, hopefully).

Pouring the foundation this morning (photo from Smith & Pickle):

They are getting close (photo from Smith & Pickel):

Default Re: Solo's Park and Pub

Opens tomorrow (Monday):

maybe i haven't been paying attention... but when and why did the name change? pics from 3/31 say 'red solo pup' and the latest pics just say 'solo'

personally... i like the newer name. the first one was trying a little too hard, imo.

There was probably a trademark issue.

yeah, that makes sense. you'd think that any update would also require them to use a different font than what solo uses for its trade dress.

25. Default Re: Solo's Park and Pub

That just doesn’t seem like enough acreage for a dog park.
    Especially if the dogs have been drinking.
    I would guess the dogs will fight?

Thread Information