Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBQ - Where to Go

Default BBQ - Where to Go

I am giving up driving on July 17th. I have a vision problem (macular degeneration) and I've been planning for this the last two years. So, now is the time. Fortunately, you folks don't have to be worried that I might drive my car into yours and hurt somebody (especially me). One of the things on my driving "bucket list" is a trip to a good barbecue restaurant. I really enjoyed Butcher's in Wellston and was planning on going there but there are others that I haven't been to locally, specifically Maple's, Deckles (I live three miles from Deckle's), Big O's Pork and Dreams (I live one mile from Big O's). Any opinions? If I can get equally good food locally it would be easier on me to stay local but if not, I'm on my way to Wellston Friday.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

By the way, I'm hoping for opinions from those of you that have been to Butcher's, but any and all opinions are welcome.
    C. T.

3. Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

IMO, Buthcher's has the best brisket in the state, but go early the line can get crazy. For ribs I prefer Smokin' Joe's in Davis. In town I prefer Cornish Smokehouse over Maples, but they're both good.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    IMO, Buthcher's has the best brisket in the state, but go early the line can get crazy. For ribs I prefer Smokin' Joe's in Davis. In town I prefer Cornish Smokehouse over Maples, but they're both good.
    Catcher,
    Good suggestion (although I'm not sure Butcher's is better than Burn Co. in Tulsa). I had forgotten about Cornish and that might be where I go, I've seen a few comments about Maple's and I'm not sure they are ready at this point. I've been to Butcher's several times so I do know how good and crazy crowded they can be. My son suggested that I order The Meat Locker, but that's a little too much food for me.
    C. T.

5. Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

I haven't tried Burn Co., will have to put it on my list.

Haven't been to Butcher, but have been to Deckle and Maple's. Don't bother with Deckle - they let their pulled pork soak in water, their beans are kinda weird with celery salt in them and way too thick, one side we had wasn't great, can't remember which one, sorry, but their green apple coleslaw was really good. Their beef rib and brisket are OK, nothing more. They seem to have about a dozen meats and over a dozen sides, not sure if they do any of them excellently if they have that many. Maple's is better, their beef rib is great, lean brisket was really good (wife got that and I sampled it), beans were nice and meaty and didn't have any weird taste to them. Didn't have pork ribs at either, can't speak to that.

Texoma in Edmond has good brisket, but i favor Butcher's. I liked Maples when it was mobile but the restaurant looks too sterile in appearance for my tastes.

Blog Entries

C.T, I think Butchers is the best overall but have not been to Big O’s. I think Maples is better than Deckle. Sorry to hear about the vision issues but best wishes to you and hope you have a great BBQ outing Friday wherever you decide to land. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    C.T, I think Butchers is the best overall but have not been to Big O’s. I think Maples is better than Deckle. Sorry to hear about the vision issues but best wishes to you and hope you have a great BBQ outing Friday wherever you decide to land. Enjoy!
    Okatty,
    Thanks, but as I said, I have been planning this ever since I was diagnosed. And trust me, I love making my own decisions before one of boys says "Dad, you need to quit driving!". I will survive.
    C. T.

Traveller's
    Thanks, good information.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Texoma in Edmond has good brisket, but i favor Butcher's. I liked Maples when it was mobile but the restaurant looks too sterile in appearance for my tastes.
    Jersey Boss,
    Is that on Waterloo? I have heard it's pretty good. Beginning to look like I will go to Butcher's or Cornish. Texlahoma is close enough that I will convince one of my kids to take me there.
    C. T.

I was not impressed with Butchers. The brisket was tender but had no flavor and the burnt ends were mainly fat. Burn Co in Tulsa is my hands down favorite. Great meat items and great sides as well. George's Happy Hog on Culbertson in OKC is very good and I put it above Maples. I have not been to Jack's on NW 39th in a while but have always been happy with their BBQ every time I have gone. I have heard great things about Cornish but haven't tried them yet.There is a new place in Moore where the old Del Rancho used to be that is getting great reviews and would be worth the trip also. Fatty's https://www.fattyssmokehouse.net/ Finally, the last time I ate at Van's was for catering and it was not good at all.

Sorry you are giving up driving. Anytime you want BBQ, shoot me a PM and I'll come get you for BBQ and a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Haven't been to Butcher, but have been to Deckle and Maple's. Don't bother with Deckle - they let their pulled pork soak in water, their beans are kinda weird with celery salt in them and way too thick, one side we had wasn't great, can't remember which one, sorry, but their green apple coleslaw was really good. Their beef rib and brisket are OK, nothing more. They seem to have about a dozen meats and over a dozen sides, not sure if they do any of them excellently if they have that many. Maple's is better, their beef rib is great, lean brisket was really good (wife got that and I sampled it), beans were nice and meaty and didn't have any weird taste to them. Didn't have pork ribs at either, can't speak to that.
    Pulled pork is in pig fat, not water. Having said that, I think it's one of the weaker meats on the menu I've gone through the menu and like the lot of their sides. I've had the beans a few times, there are sides I like better. THe beans can be had anytime seeing as they're free.

I was going to not recommend Big O, but it looks liek they've turned it around on the ratings. I may have to revisit.

Given the distance, I don't think Maples is that much better if it even is.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Pulled pork is in pig fat, not water. Having said that, I think it's one of the weaker meats on the menu ...
    It should taste better than it did if it's pig fat, but yeah, not very good, agreed.

15. Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

I've been to Fatty's twice. The meat is average, but their sides are good. I've found the sides at most BBQ places are an afterthought, but the spicy baked beans and the smoked potato salad at Fatty's were very good.

I haven't been to Butcher's yet. Blu's downtown is very underrated. If you like hot sauce, John & Cooks in Lawton has the best. And Backdoor's the only place in Oklahoma I've found with burnt ends. Those are my favorites.

Hey C.T., looked like you were cruising well on your scooter though. That was me who honked at you that day as you were riding westbound on the sidewalk on 178th . Don't forget, on your way to Butcher's in Wellston, you'll be driving right by The Boundary on 66, between Arcadia and Luther. A little Mom & Pop BBQ joint I've always liked.

Quote Originally Posted by okccowan View Post
    I haven't been to Butcher's yet. Blu's downtown is very underrated. If you like hot sauce, John & Cooks in Lawton has the best. And Backdoor's the only place in Oklahoma I've found with burnt ends. Those are my favorites.
    Butchers and Fatties both have burnt ends on menu. I haven't tried Blu's downtown. Will have to try it

Coming from someone who has tried them all multiple times. I say go to Texalahoma. All of the above BBQ joints has their high points. But Texalahoma consistently hits their marks!

I love Butcher BBQ Stand, but everyone forgot about Vans in Norman. That's probably my second favorite BBQ place in Oklahoma.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gamermp101 View Post
    I love Butcher BBQ Stand, but everyone forgot about Vans in Norman. That's probably my second favorite BBQ place in Oklahoma.
    I believe someone above did mention Vans (not very favorably), but they catered my daughter's graduation party and it was very good. We had people there from out of state and they raved about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    Hey C.T., looked like you were cruising well on your scooter though. That was me who honked at you that day as you were riding westbound on the sidewalk on 178th . Don't forget, on your way to Butcher's in Wellston, you'll be driving right by The Boundary on 66, between Arcadia and Luther. A little Mom & Pop BBQ joint I've always liked.
    Rezman,
    Not that it bothers me, but is The Boundary the place where the owner is a little bit rude? I can handle a little rudeness if the food is good and it's a few miles closer.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I was not impressed with Butchers. The brisket was tender but had no flavor and the burnt ends were mainly fat. Burn Co in Tulsa is my hands down favorite. Great meat items and great sides as well. George's Happy Hog on Culbertson in OKC is very good and I put it above Maples. I have not been to Jack's on NW 39th in a while but have always been happy with their BBQ every time I have gone. I have heard great things about Cornish but haven't tried them yet.There is a new place in Moore where the old Del Rancho used to be that is getting great reviews and would be worth the trip also. Fatty's https://www.fattyssmokehouse.net/ Finally, the last time I ate at Van's was for catering and it was not good at all.

Sorry you are giving up driving. Anytime you want BBQ, shoot me a PM and I'll come get you for BBQ and a beer.
    Jeepnokc,
    Thanks, I might have to take you up on that some day. By the way, I don't consider their burnt ends to be burnt ends. Burn Co. is really good, but it's a little far for me at this point. Just think of all the people I could run over on the Turner Turnpike! I've been to George's a couple of times and the ribs were tasted good but they were a little tough. So I tried their brisket and it was pretty good. Well, I'm trying to decide now, Burns is 30 miles, Cornish is 25 miles and Maples is 17 miles. I have eaten a couple of time at Burns so I'm leaning to Cornish or Maples. I've recently read some mixed reviews about Maple's but I think I would take a chance.
    Thanks,
    C. T.

A little off topic but what happen to Oklahoma Station BBQ. Could they not compete. I thought for the price they were not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    A little off topic but what happen to Oklahoma Station BBQ. Could they not compete. I thought for the price they were not too bad.
    last time i had talked to the owner, he was making so much more doing BBQ Catering, than he was with the restaurant. so i don't know if they are still doing Catering or not, and just closed the restaurant.

Thread Information