Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BBQ - Where to Go

Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

Depends on what BBQ you want. If you want just brisket Deckles brisket and beef ribs are good but everything else I have had there has been mediocre at best. Texlahoma IMO probably has the best combination of ribs and brisket along with Maple's. If you just want ribs I wouldn't rule out Steve's Rib there on 2nd in Edmond, sometimes their ribs are damn near unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by gamermp101 View Post
    I love Butcher BBQ Stand, but everyone forgot about Vans in Norman. That's probably my second favorite BBQ place in Oklahoma.
    Like you I love Butcher's. No disrespect, but when I want Q and don't want to leave town I head over to RAY'S. No others comes into the rotation

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Depends on what BBQ you want. If you want just brisket Deckles brisket and beef ribs are good but everything else I have had there has been mediocre at best. Texlahoma IMO probably has the best combination of ribs and brisket along with Maple's. If you just want ribs I wouldn't rule out Steve's Rib there on 2nd in Edmond, sometimes their ribs are damn near unbeatable.
    I live about one mile from Steve's Rib. I will always be able to go there (with a little assist). I ate there when he was on Hefner, East of Rockwell and enjoyed it.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Like you I love Butcher's. No disrespect, but when I want Q and don't want to leave town I head over to RAY'S. No others comes into the rotation
    Jersey Boss,
    Are you talking about Ray's in Norman? If so, I was eating at their place at Sooner road and I-40. That's where they started. Also, it's owned by Darrel Ray and his brother, Darrel was a star football player at OU and a good pro player as well.
    C. T.

We’ve love Texlahoma and have been eating there pretty regularly until recently. The last 2 times we went it was just plain bad. One of the times the brisket was so tough if couldn’t even eat it. I left more than 3/4 of my sandwich on the tray. Both times it was like the meat had been pre sliced and kept in a warming tray or something. The meat was wet, like it had be steamed or something. So much so I used a paper towel to dry it off. It was just not good.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Jersey Boss,
    Are you talking about Ray's in Norman? If so, I was eating at their place at Sooner road and I-40. That's where they started. Also, it's owned by Darrel Ray and his brother, Darrel was a star football player at OU and a good pro player as well.
    C. T.
    Yes it is. There is a picture of Billy Sims on the wall eating thier Q. The caption underneath claims Billy knows who has the best. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Debzkidz View Post
    We’ve love Texlahoma and have been eating there pretty regularly until recently. The last 2 times we went it was just plain bad. One of the times the brisket was so tough if couldn’t even eat it. I left more than 3/4 of my sandwich on the tray. Both times it was like the meat had been pre sliced and kept in a warming tray or something. The meat was wet, like it had be steamed or something. So much so I used a paper towel to dry it off. It was just not good.
    Why did you get a sandwich ?

I won't say all barbecue joints do this, but its a common practice, that they don't use their best meats on sandwiches. It very well could be yesterday's meat on today's sandwich.

If you're going to a joint like Texlahoma, go at lunch time. They will have their best meats when they open, as they've been smoking all night. And get brisket sliced, either lean or fatty.

8. Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

We really like Butcher's - but don't often feel like driving all the way there, waiting in line and then having to drive home, reheat it and eat it.

Locally, we most often go to Bedlam at 50th and Lincoln. Consistently always very good to excellent ribs and the atmosphere there weekends is really good if you sit out on the patio.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDollar View Post
    Why did you get a sandwich ?

I won't say all barbecue joints do this, but its a common practice, that they don't use their best meats on sandwiches. It very well could be yesterday's meat on today's sandwich.
    At all the places I've eaten BBQ at (15-20 across the country and about 10 or so here over the years), they always slice the meat for the sandwiches (or for pulled pork, get it out of the same warmer) from the same hunk they use for regular plates of meat (at least at the counter-service types of places where you can see what they're doing). If you have the names of any of those that do what you're saying, let me know 'cos I'd like to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    At all the places I've eaten BBQ at (15-20 across the country and about 10 or so here over the years), they always slice the meat for the sandwiches (or for pulled pork, get it out of the same warmer) from the same hunk they use for regular plates of meat (at least at the counter-service types of places where you can see what they're doing). If you have the names of any of those that do what you're saying, let me know 'cos I'd like to avoid them.
    Ok, you're right, I'm wrong .

Dam sure not gonna argue about it.

Ok, you're right, I'm wrong .

Dam sure not gonna argue about it.
    A bit touchy? All I said was I've never seen that practice and if you've seen it, tell me which places so I won't go there. Life's too short to eat bad food, so if possible, I like to know what places to avoid if they're doing something so obvious and bad (I do research on all the places we go to because we've been burned enough times by just going in someplace based on a name, an image, or their own puffery).

Rezman,
    Not that it bothers me, but is The Boundary the place where the owner is a little bit rude? I can handle a little rudeness if the food is good and it's a few miles closer.
    C. T.
    Haha …. I'd say more direct and to the point. A lot of folks like things sugar coated. But it has always been good whenever I go. I've been to Steve's Rib a few times and it was just average for me.

I've seen it written elsewhere on this site that BBQ is a matter of individual taste, which is very true. One person's best is another person's worst.

A bit touchy? All I said was I've never seen that practice and if you've seen it, tell me which places so I won't go there. Life's too short to eat bad food, so if possible, I like to know what places to avoid if they're doing something so obvious and bad (I do research on all the places we go to because we've been burned enough times by just going in someplace based on a name, an image, or their own puffery).

Well, I did not say you're gonna get bad meat, I said there's a chance you won't get their best.

A sandwich can hide a meat that's maybe not cooked perfectly compared to the meat standin alone. And I really doubt if every brisket that comes off the smoker is perfectly done.

And a lot of the sandwiches joints are creating, will have so many different ingredients, the meat becomes secondary.

Also, while a joint would prefer selling out every day ( which is why its odd when I hear complaints about a joint being sold out. That should not be a knock, it should be compliment ) reality is , they don't always do that.
    Reheated meat on a sandwich is not a bad thing, especially if its chopped with cheese and a sauce added, and then put some crispy onion and pickles on top of that.

Well, I did not say you're gonna get bad meat, I said there's a chance you won't get their best.

A sandwich can hide a meat that's maybe not cooked perfectly compared to the meat standin alone. And I really doubt if every brisket that comes off the smoker is perfectly done.

And a lot of the sandwiches joints are creating, will have so many different ingredients, the meat becomes secondary.

Also, while a joint would prefer selling out every day ( which is why its odd when I hear complaints about a joint being sold out. That should not be a knock, it should be compliment ) reality is , they don't always do that.
    Reheated meat on a sandwich is not a bad thing, especially if its chopped with cheese and a sauce added, and then put some crispy onion and pickles on top of that.
    OK, gotcha. The sandwiches I order (on the rare occasion I do) from BBQ joints are just meat and bread, but your explanation makes sense.

OK, gotcha. The sandwiches I order (on the rare occasion I do) from BBQ joints are just meat and bread, but your explanation makes sense.
    Even a simple meat and bread adds another flavor with the bread. Then add sauce or a pickled red onion.............

Also, the unsold meats can be made into barbacoa and sold on street tacos or burritos. That's a thing in Texas these days, Tex Mex Barbecue.

Texlahoma does run out. All the time. You can request your brisket lean or not and it is normally sliced from the same brisket. I have, in the past watched them do it. I didn’t the last few times. Their sandwiches are nothing but thickly sliced brisket on a bun. They will give you pickles and onions on the side if you want. Also they do not put sauce on them. They have regular or spicy that you can add to taste. I almost always order a sliced brisket sandwich. It’s what I like and theirs normally melt in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    We really like Butcher's - but don't often feel like driving all the way there, waiting in line and then having to drive home, reheat it and eat it.

Locally, we most often go to Bedlam at 50th and Lincoln. Consistently always very good to excellent ribs and the atmosphere there weekends is really good if you sit out on the patio.
    I've been to Bedlam many times, I went there when they first opened and I do enjoy their food but I was wanting to try something new and really good for my last drive.
    C. T.

Today I went to Maple's and there was no parking available. Not a big deal I suppose but I'm on a scooter and it's a problem. Not their fault, just a fact. So I went South to Cornish and for the most part I'm going to just say that my opinions are subjective. I ordered a rib dinner with okra and baked beans and a pound of sliced brisket, all of it to go. The ribs were tough and not really that tasty, and there weren't any beans. They weren't that busy, how could they forget to give me what I ordered, baked beans? The brisket (sliced?) was large chunks of meat about an inch thick. I didn't enjoy them very much either. I'm going to try to sneak in one more trip to Maple's before I hang up my car keys.
    Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. Sometimes it's better to quit searching for the finest "Q" in the area and just stick with what you like, like Bedlam, or Leo's et al.

Today I went to Maple's and there was no parking available. Not a big deal I suppose but I'm on a scooter and it's a problem. Not their fault, just a fact. So I went South to Cornish and for the most part I'm going to just say that my opinions are subjective. I ordered a rib dinner with okra and baked beans and a pound of sliced brisket, all of it to go. The ribs were tough and not really that tasty, and there weren't any beans. They weren't that busy, how could they forget to give me what I ordered, baked beans? The brisket (sliced?) was large chunks of meat about an inch thick. I didn't enjoy them very much either. I'm going to try to sneak in one more trip to Maple's before I hang up my car keys.
    Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. Sometimes it's better to quit searching for the finest "Q" in the area and just stick with what you like, like Bedlam, or Leo's et al.
    That's disappointing as I have heard good things about them. Can never go wrong with Leo's but I think it would be tough to get a scooter in there. Hopefully Maples does you better on the Q

Friends,
    I started this thread, so I'm going to abuse you all with my take on "burnt ends".
    C. T.
    Thanks for all the tips, I wish I could go to a different Q place every day for the next six days, but that's not going to happen. Now, since I started this thread, I wanted to say something about burnt ends and of all things, my MSN home page provided me with the words I probably couldn't have come up with. My first experience with burnt ends was in the late 70's at Johnson's BBQ in Casady Square. When we went there the first time, we stood in a buffet style line, ordered what we wanted and then watched Mrs. Johnson chop the brisket for a brisket dinner. But first, she trimmed this black stuff off of the meat, then sliced the proper portion of brisket then chopped it with a Cleaver. The second time we went I asked her what she did with tht “black stuff” and she said she threw it away. I said that I would take it as part of my serving because I had tasted it before somewhere and I liked it. She said “yes, it’s very good but most customers don’t want any of it so I slice it off and throw it in the trash”. She gave me a normal amount of chopped brisket and then added the black stuff so I ended up with a lot of meat for lunch and from then on that’s what she did for me and my friend until she got sick and they retired. Now, I had no idea that it was burnt ends at the time. Below is the comment from my MSN article followed by the link. The link takes you to an article about the various styles of Q in the country and I noticed this comment about burnt ends and it’s exactly what I just described.

“The one homegrown KC signature dish is “burnt ends,” the often crunchy and blackened outside edge of a whole beef brisket, known as “bark”.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...mage=AAE5JBM|2

22. Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

Today I went to Maple's and there was no parking available. Not a big deal I suppose but I'm on a scooter and it's a problem.
    Check for parking in the Lyric Theatre parking lot and you should be able to cross at the crosswalk on your scooter.

Maple's is one of my favorites in OKC but I've never kept it a secret that I'm a fan of Central Texas style Q and they do a decent job of cooking it in that style.

I'm 100% into brisket. Butcher's is great. Texlahoma can be greasy. I may be in the minority, but Klemm's brisket is always good. It's very consistent.

Blog Entries

Moore, Oklahoma - N. W. 12th & Santa Fe inside Cash Savers' entrance is L & C BBQ:

Full slabs, Baby Back rib slabs and the best chopped beef brisket sandwiches... Open weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun) 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sunday, closes at 6 p.m.

Prices: Full slabs 14.99, Baby back 10.99, chopped beef brisket sandwiches L or S $7 to $5...

25. Default Re: BBQ - Where to Go

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Moore, Oklahoma - N. W. 12th & Santa Fe inside Cash Savers' entrance is L & C BBQ:

Full slabs, Baby Back rib slabs and the best chopped beef brisket sandwiches... Open weekends (Fri, Sat, Sun) 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. Sunday, closes at 6 p.m.

Prices: Full slabs 14.99, Baby back 10.99, chopped beef brisket sandwiches L or S $7 to $5...
    I tried this place today. If you're thinking about going there do yourself a favor and go a mile west to Cornish Smokehouse. A little pricier, but much, much better.

Thread Information